1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Issues HELP!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by calib3r, 9 Nov 2008.

1. calib3r

calib3r What's a Dremel?

Recently, I bought a new Core 2 Duo to replace my Pentium D Extreme Edition. I installed my new CPU and my system wouldn't boot in other words the fans were spinning but my display was blank, so I tried reinstalling my old CPU to see if it would work again and it still wouldn't boot. Anyways, I fixed it by removing a stick of ram out of the 3 sticks and it worked which is weird because before I tried upgrading it worked fine with 3 sticks. All 3 sticks of RAM are working. If I put it in different orders such as 1 stick on the first slot and the 2nd stick on the 3rd slot it wouldn't work, it would only work if the the 1st stick was in the 1st slot and the 2nd stick was in the second slot. Now, why doesn't it work with 3 sticks of RAM anymore?

Motherboard: ASUS P5B-E

Last edited: 9 Nov 2008
  2. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli I get by fine with a jig-saw.

It expects matched pairings in the memory channels... If I recall, C2D can only handle Dual Channel memory...

3. calib3r

calib3r What's a Dremel?

Well, it doesn't work with either my old Pentium D Extreme Edition or my Core 2 Duo so that can't be it since it worked before. Actually, both sticks are in the same channel meaning its single channel if I put 1 stick in the first channel and 1 stick in the other channel meaning dual channel my computer won't boot. Core 2 Duo supports single channel and dual channel. In other words, when I put them on dual channel it doesn't work but when I put them on single channel they work. The RAM is identical.

Edit: I got it to boot into Windows on dual channel but it is very unstable and BSODs.

Last edited: 9 Nov 2008
  4. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

First thing is to run Memtest86+ to check the memory is OK.

When you changed processors, did you first set the BIOS to auto-recognise everything?

5. calib3r

calib3r What's a Dremel?

Well.. I'm pretty sure the RAM is okay since it works perfectly fine in single channel mode but the second I put it on dual channel mode it Windows BSOD right after it boots. The BIOS settings are set to the defaults.

6. calib3r

calib3r What's a Dremel?

I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic on both sticks and they are fine. Any ideas?

7. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

try updating the bios may help.

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I would agree with the above tbh - although it is a little tricky.

Is the C2D compatible with the mobo in the first place?

9. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

10. calib3r

calib3r What's a Dremel?

I have the latest BIOS version the older ones don't support my processor.

Last edited: 10 Nov 2008
  11. calib3r

calib3r What's a Dremel?

I bought a new motherboard (ASUS P5Q Pro), graphics card (GeForce GX2), and RAM. When I boot my PC, right when it hits the Windows loading screen it BSODs even in safe-mode.