1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Possible to use digital picture frame as monitor?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by TMan7000, 2 May 2008.

1. TMan7000

TMan7000 What's a Dremel?

I was wondering if anyone had an idea as to how I could use a commercial digital picture frame as an additional monitor that I could use specifically for chat or watching a movie while I work on a paper. I want a screen that is relatively small and it seems as though it would be cheaper to buy one of these rather than an LCD designed to be implemented in a car. I did search for something like this and have googled this several times to no avail. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

TMan

2. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i don't think that picture frames have the necessary inputs to connect them to a computer. even if you could hack a vga input, the refresh rate would be too slow to watch a movie.

just go pick up an old 17" for $100 on ebay. dual screens are awesome.

3. TMan7000

Okay thanks....I was just thinking there might have been a way...I don't really have room for a 17" so I was trying to find another solution.

4. swift_wraith

swift_wraith I love you Pig.

if its a small screen you're after try an old psONE monitor. You can pick them up for about £20 off ebay and they can be easily modded to link to a pc.

Am thinking small screen due to you asking about picture frame screens. They're usually small and about the same size as a psONE screen

5. TMan7000

Okay thanks alot, that sounds like exactly what I need.

6. W-fault

W-fault Otherwise known as widefault

A few of the LCD picture frames I've taken apart could take a composite(yellow RCA) or S-video input with a bit of modding. Somewhere in my pile of parts is a 7" ADS screen that runs s-video from the board with the jpeg decoder to the screen itself. Always toyed with putting in a jack and a switch, but the uses would be pretty limited for me. Quality would be poor for text since you'd be stuck with using a TV out, but videos or movies probably would be OK. Most of the current crop of LCD frames have the ability to play mpeg movies as well as show pictures.

7. TMan7000

Okay, that sounds a bit promising.....It doesn't sound like I am going to be able to read text from it but it would work as a screen for viewing a web cam which is a plus. I think if I used a PlayStation LCD, I would have the same problem with text...

8. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

What brands have you taken apart W-fault?

It would be awesome to know which ones do have & don't have the video connection inside!

9. W-fault

W-fault Otherwise known as widefault

I've had my hands on a few broken ones, mostly the unbranded, virus-loaded, made in china ones. I noticed some of them had a separate AV output, so I ripped them apart to see where it was coming from. On the ADS screen there's a cable running from the decoder to the LCD board, and the board also runs that signal to the AV output unmodified. Most that have the AV out have some variation on that setup, although if there's a single board inside it gets much harder to inject a new signal. Should pull the ADS out and take pictures this time.

10. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

sounds awesome!

11. swift_wraith

swift_wraith I love you Pig.

12. TMan7000

Thanks for that, I had found that tutorial earlier but based on some of the previous discussion, I'm not sure how good text will look on there...What is your experience? I was also trying to find something that might be a little cheaper and I didn't really want to have to use ebay. Thanks for the links though, those are great if that is what I decide to do :)

13. keith.t

keith.t What's a Dremel?

dont they have slower refresh rates ?

14. TMan7000

That is what someone already said....:eyebrow:

15. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Does anyone have the measurements of the psone screen? Thinking about hacking one into front of my case

16. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

It's amazing to me that no one has made a 640x480 screen that fits into say 2 or 3 5.25 bays as a drop-in product.

17. TrowthePlow

TrowthePlow What's a Dremel?

Personal Experience

The closest I have seen is the Thermaltake 7" LCD Screen. I personally have used a car headrest monitor and some 1/2" Acrylic to make a 3-Bay LCD screen. The only oddity I have is that it has to be off when I turn on the computer, then I enable it in NVIDIA Control Panel, then I can turn it on, but can't adjust the resolution. Whatever, it works :) I got mine off Ebay for around $25, plus 5 for shipping.

18. Acolyte

Acolyte What's a Dremel?

I'm sure I've seen LCD picture frames with composite video inputs which don't require any modding/dismantling. Google might be your friend here.

19. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

20. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?