1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple: "iPhone is the future of gaming"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Nov 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I'll keep to my DS and PSP, ta.

It's good that at least Apple aren't sitting on their hands, at least they're trying.

3. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

Yeah, right, lol, this guy doesn't have a clue when it comes to gaming.

4. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Yes, because a none-tactile feedbackless screen is a brilliant input method.

Fools.

5. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

Apple + gaming = HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :catches breath....: AHALKAHLAKHAFHAHAAH

6. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

7. Steelez

Steelez Minimodder

I game most days on my iPhone, in fact I don't think I've picked up either my DS or my PSP since I got it.

I tend to drop into mobile gaming for a short amount of time which makes the iPhone convenient where as if I was going on Holiday or on a long trip I'd be more likely to pick up one of the hand held consoles.

They have their place, but they aren't a replacement.

8. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

I think the iPhone's got a lot going for it - there's the convenience factor that because it's your mobile, it's always with you. iTunes and the app store has its flaws but it's far better than the digital distribution/shops for either the DS or PSP - Sony's online stores were awful for the PSP when I tried using it a few months back. So that makes it easy to get games for it. And of course, from a publisher's point of view, lots of people have them so your potential customer base (at least the way they see it) is very large.

The problems are that the touch screen really isn't ideal for many conventional types of games - and lots of people like lots of conventional games for good reasons. It's all very well talking about innovation and mentioning the Wii, but there's a reason people buy millions of copies of stuff like Gears of War that require lots of buttons. The other issue is that Apple's attitude to game devs is not nearly as positive as Sony or Nintendo, and if you're not keeping devs happy then you won't get as much support... I'm also not convinved people will pay typical game prices for iPhone games. Most iPhone apps, if they cost anything, cost a couple of quid. The ones that do go over £5 attract a lot of bad reviews and bitching in the iTunes store. Can't see many developers wanting to sell their stuff for under a fiver...

9. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Um. How about no?

edit: just to clarify, this was directed that the article

10. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

Perhaps if they said Mobile Gaming it might be a more believable statement. Although from what I've seen everyone I know raves about their DS and R3 card and I'm not that sure that the under 16 crowd own or can afford an iPhone.

11. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

So thru!

12. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

Is anyone else starting to get really bored with apple, every other day they turn around and hail themselves as the greatest company on earth, this coupled with the evangelical nature of apple users makes me refuse to ever own anything apple... Advertising by over exposure is not a great method of gaining new custom in my opinion.

Last edited: 12 Nov 2008
  13. hawky84

hawky84 SilentModder

actually on the floor rolling and laughing at work

14. Project_Nightmare

Project_Nightmare What's a Dremel?

This statement will be further from the truth if there was no jailbreak for the iPhone:lol: And I agree with the previous posts, it is not a good as the dedicated gaming systems:read:

15. Artanix

Artanix Minimodder

Isn't the iPhone as expensive as the PS3 though? lol

16. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

agree with you sifter, there's a lot of potential in the iphone. it's up to apple to be recognised as a serious competitor in games, and for jobs to make a u-turn on previous statements about gaming for the mac. they gotta make gaming a core part of their business as a whole if they genuinely want to succeed. And oh yeh, the devs have got to be convinced too.

17. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I havent used an iphone nor an ipod touch (am i right in thinking there basically the same? with the exception of the phone functionality.) but in the recent adverts, for the touch the games seem uncontrollable! is that the case? i would have thought that they would have shown how good they are not how fiddly

18. zimbloggy

zimbloggy Genius Extraordinaire

too bad that the best game they have is doom. PSP has had near-console graphics for quite a while, and unless apple sticks something better in the hardware arena, dedicated gaming devices are going to own Apple's sorry behind.

I also wouldn't expect apple to say anything less than that. Companies always brag about how revolutionary their products are.

19. Mcmonopoly

Mcmonopoly What now?!

That's all great coming from the guys that put out a multi-function device that's supposed to replace all your hand held gadgets, but that only keeps it charge for 4-5 hours with lite/normal use...:rolleyes:

All hail Apple!!!

20. Zut

Zut What's a Dremel?

The reality distortion field is working over-time I see!

Tags: Add Tags