1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos A series of Images from Down Town Athens

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by GregTheRotter, 11 Nov 2008.

1. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Hi guys, just wanted to share some images from my trip down town. I haven't put them in the other sections of the forum as I felt these images are meant to stay as a series, and work together as a whole.

On saturday I was assisting at another wedding. My parents were away for the weekend, and it looked like I was going to have to get a taxi, so had the choice of going home, or to my aunts. My aunt's house was about ten minutes closer so I rang up my aunt, and she said no problem. So the night was coming to an end and I found out that the metro was still running at that hour, but at reduced intervals (about an hours wait). In the end the chief decided to give me a lift down to my aunt's.

Just arrived;

[​IMG]

I stayed two nights, and came back home on monday. On Sunday my aunt and I went out to a traditional taverna. She had meat patties and I had a pork chop. As a few tit bits we had Saganaki (grilled cheese), a tomato salad, and some tzatziki (in short; yogurt, little bit of garlic, shredded cucumber). I had my camera with me this weekend so decided to make the most of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After that we walked around the side streets, and the area called Plaka which is near the Acropolis.

A pretty common thing in Greece;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A traditional entrance;

[​IMG]

I decided to take this photo because you normally see asian tourists in big groups, chatting away, taking lots of pictures etc. This lady looked quite sharp so I thought she 'deserved' (? ) a photo.

[​IMG]

Walking around the streets that lead to the acropolis, you'll see a few 'musicians' ;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is one of the more traditional acts you see in the streets;

[​IMG]

Another photographer;

[​IMG]

Plenty to buy;

[​IMG]

In the side streets you can find just about anything from pre packed herbs for greek style kebabs, to olives, to dirty post cards :-D to shoes.

These guys are always on the lookout for the cops. They are selling hand bags and that sort of thing;

[​IMG]

The entrance to someone's courtyard;

[​IMG]

A homeless man enjoying the morning paper;

[​IMG]

I'm not quite sure what he was doing, but he was amusing to say the least :-D

[​IMG]

After all that we went and sat somewhere where my aunt had a coffee and I had a tiramisu;

Before;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next morning I decided to talk a detour on my way to the bus stop, and went past the houses of parliament;

A man on his vespa goes by while the traditional Tsolia stands to attention in the background;

[​IMG]

A bit of cultural diversity;

[​IMG]

Out for a stroll with her gran;

[​IMG]

Just in case a riot starts;

[​IMG]

Waiting for the story to arrive;

[​IMG]

The priests out and about;

[​IMG]

(were you looking at the priest or the girl next to him ;-) )

This shot kind of made me think of a matrix slash men in black scene;;

[​IMG]

Plenty of Kiosks around. At the more central ones you can find foreign newspapers, guide maps, etc;

[​IMG]

Not 100% the effect I was going for here. I really wanted to show how the person inside is almost in another world. These guys often have a portable tv in there, a fan and so on. I wouldn't like to be stuck in there all day. If I had the choice I would've had a speedlight inside with the kiosk owner, wirelessly fired from my camera, but when you're in a busy city, and you're not getting paid for the shots you take, you have to settle I guess.

I passed a few more homeless people;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wanted to get a good shot of the lady with her child, but as I was using my tele, and wanted to get a candid shot, I took a few shots, wasn't getting what I wanted then it just occurred to me that just because you're using a tele doesn't mean you're not mobile, so I did just that, moved to another spot, kneeled and got what I was looking for. I eventually made a pest of myself (as she turned the pram around), so decided to pack it in, and gave her some change as I walked by.

A low light shot from on the bus on my way home;

[​IMG]

Here's the link to the flickr set if anyone would like to CC, I'll be happy to browse your flickr too and offer some CC too;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gregtherotter/sets/72157608878769564

Hope you like them :)

Last edited: 11 Nov 2008
  2. Mr-IK

Mr-IK Minimodder

Nothing from PB works :S

3. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

DOH, should work now :)

4. ssR

ssR Carbon God

nice urban photography that really tells a story of how your day passed by. some nice shots there, can't really point out any favorites, maybe it needs time to settle

5. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Holy moly Greg! Those are really great!
    You've captured the people, situations and moods exceedingly well. Sharpness, colors, detail and post processing is good as well. :thumb:

I can only say that I'm really impressed. I think you're very talented at this type of photography.

What equipment did you use? My guess is heavy use of the 35mm?

6. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Glad you liked them guys :)

I pretty much used my D80 with 70-300VR for all the candid shots. Iso ranged from Iso 200 to 800. For the food photos (tomato salad, tiramisu etc) I used my 35m F2D.

7. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

You've got some really good images there but you've done something even better with the concept. I love the "day in the life" idea. I feel like I learned more about a typical day in a place I've never been than any travel book could tell me. Thanks!

8. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

The homeless man and the newspaper kiosk are my favorites of the bunch.

As others have said, I enjoy the "Day in the Life of" concept. You've captured many different facets of the place, from the local musicians to the food to the shady guys selling knock-off handbags. You've shown a pretty good cross section of life.

As I said, the homeless man and the kiosk are my favorites. The processing and black and white treatment in the homeless man photo are done very well. The high contrast in the image really bring out the details. His hands look grungy and unwashed, his face looks old and tired, his beard scraggly. Yet, here he is, reading the paper on a park bench like any normal business man.

In the kiosk image, I like the way the shadow creates a vignette around the vendor, peering out from his kiosk, watching the world walk by. You see the blurred woman as she hurries past, but he - and his kiosk - remain frozen in time. We see the vendor, surrounded by all the newspapers, magazines, and other wares normally associated with the traditional kiosk. This almost creates an environmental portrait of the vendor.

Keep up the good work.

-monkey

9. akpoly

akpoly What's a Dremel?

i like a lot of these photos. as previously said, very nice use of "Day in the life of" concept.

and I can see the policewoman for POTM, she is the odd one out

10. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

Thanks for sharing man! I don't have a favorite, they're all great!

11. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

Interesting pictures. I've never been to Greece, so +1 for concept "Day in the life..." :)
    That orange cat is strange, somehow. I've seen many cats - standard home, standard street, common hunting, special combat cat, but the one you took picture of, is strange...