1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Starcraft 2's system specs leaked?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 May 2008.

1. dfrangu

dfrangu What's a Dremel?

By Western Countries I mean all that is Western from my country which is supposed to be poorer... But a lot of people complain about that 3Mbps... I gues they think is 3MB/s and do not know that 8kbps = 1kB/s therefore 3Mbps = 384kB/s...

2. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Depends where you live. You won't be able to reach those speeds in a lot of areas in New Zealand, but our infastructure is below average. I do think 384kB/s is extreme for playing an rts, I mean really. Even if you do have those speeds you'll hit your data cap in no time. I don't know how many countries suffer from data caps, but here there are still no unlimited plans. Sigh...

3. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Minimodder

This is well timed, i can judge what specs i want from my new laptop. I'll definatly be getting this when it comes out, same with a large number of my friends, this is a game all i know are looking forward to.

4. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

damn, i might have to dust off the original and give it another run through in anticipation of this :D

5. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

wow.. i'm surprised at the specs.. higher than I anticipated... cool.. My new rig can happily handle everything it seems :) .. Hope they don't have any stupid copy protection on it like Mass Effect

6. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

Is this going to be DX10? as the recomended gfx are DX10 if it was not for that then i would meet the recomended. if it has no dx10 option then im hoping i can play this at the max :D

7. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    :eyebrow: Funny... Two nights ago I had a nightmare about that.
    In it, Starcraft2 had the most bizarre, complex and draconian DRM implementation ever introduced in a software. It even had an avatar-like presence in the game itself as a zerg character, the alpha male of the Zerg Queen.

It was a weird dream...

8. knuck

knuck Hate your face

In two generations the low end cards will be faster than what is recommended to play this at max settings so I am not worried at all. Most of the players are going to hate this game anyway because they are still playing the original (and have been for 10 years) and they won't like the changes

9. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

System specifications are high because of the game's high unit cap.

High network bandwidth is largely irrelevant if your connection bogs down to a a trickle at peak hours.

10. Marc5002

Marc5002 What's a Dremel?

yeh i heard they would support 1920x1200 monitor if you play a game at 1920x1200 (max game player and thousand of unit)
    It Sure yo need a GEforce 8800GT. For no lag XD OR Sli. I my Self play Wc3 ? Costumes Games
    And i got 7600gT 2GB Of DDr2 800mhz & 4600x2 Socket Am2 nforce 590 Asus M2N32-Sli deluxe and see some lag sometime on the game as i get over 900 units in the game but 60% of user lag but some that of my friend i know that said and have 4GB Of ram + 8800GT & Intel dual core duo E6400 or recently some 8500 AD no lag while i was LAGGING XD with over 900 units .
    How Ever in Ladder Of Wc3 You will never see that much unit as there food caps.
    But Thinking of Dota Game & Tower Defense the more power you have. the more you can make.
    and i belive that cap will be set higher for map makers Designer So that the game is high quality :) Such as Dota game Designer : naruto ultimate RPG & Tide of Blood : parasite : Line tower wars : Are exemple of What Starcraft 2 will be Capable off.
    Im drooling about that game it being 7 year common :)

11. Marc5002

Marc5002 What's a Dremel?

Eh Error 404. can i delete this comment :-/

wanted to delete a comment. doesn't know if double posting is spaming

Last edited: 26 May 2008
  12. boggsi

boggsi What's a Dremel?

wtf are they transferring to need a 3Mbit. I highly doubt that, unless they are steaming graphics or something. Seriously 3Mbit is 3 million bits a second, assuming each unit or action has: int identifier + int roation + 3 x int position = 160 bits. That allows 18,750 individual updates a second, I really cant see it being coded to require that level of information. Even pro-korean gamers can only average 5 clicks a second!

13. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

I guess they are covering their backs so that if you have a 3Mb/s quoted speed, you'll be able to play the game without problems. That means (a) it is based on the absolute maximum amount of information having to be transferred at any one time; and (b) it is taking into account the sad fact that quoted speeds are rarely reached in reality.

Also each unit may need more data to fully describe it - e.g. speed, health, ammo, destination, experience. I presume the game has some kind of deformable terrain, so keeping that in sync might need a chunk of bandwidth. There are lots of scenarios.

14. mattposivy

mattposivy What's a Dremel?

holy crap a nvidia 7/8 series?

jeez blizzard what are you trying to do? make my comp blow up?????

i hope my GE force 6800 can handle it..i have everything else

Tags: Add Tags