1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Carbon Fibre Case

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Bloody_Pete, 3 Nov 2008.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Hi guys

i'm new to this site, so i'm not sure if there's a thread on this already.

Has anyone attempted to make a full Carbon Fibre case? i'm contemplating it, as no cases are quite right, so i wanted to build my own one from scratch. Any tips you can give?

this is one company that makes them http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=13&pPath=696&productID=696 and for $999 (just for the case!) i'd want alot more for the money!

just give me your ideas as this is still at the planning stages currently as i assess cost and work load.

cheers

2. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I'm working on a carbon case to be started project after PrometheusCU is complete.
    My goal is to use 100% carbon and absolutely no fasteners (nuts, bolts, screws, etc.) - I want everything to fit together like a big puzzle box.

That ultra case is really ugly.

I can guarantee that costs will be skyhigh, and workload is extensive, depending on which variety of carbon you end up using.

[edit]
    if you've never worked with carbon before, and you plan on using fabric+resin (as opposed to rigid panels), then I'd suggest doing it in fiberglass first - because fiberglass is dirt cheap it's better material to learn the process with.

Take the failures and lessons learned from the fiberglass project and apply them to the carbon project - this will double your work but it will also likely double your results. Getting clean results your first time working with fabrics/resins/molds/releasers/etc is very unlikely and could result in you ruining some carbon fabric

Check out project DARK CARBON over at the 'TheBestCaseScenario' forums. It's creator - rendermandan - is a very skilled modder and is using rigid carbon panels to fabricate his case
    [/edit]

[edit2]
    LOL:
    [/edit2]

Last edited: 3 Nov 2008
  3. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

$999 for that case!! :jawdrop:

you'd have to be mental to buy one!

4. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Well, some people do have more money than brains. :eeek:

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

For that much, it should include full passive cooling.:(

6. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Someone made a carbon fibre case on the site, can't remember it, but he had a worklog up.

7. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

.. wait, so it can't cool anything down properly? And what components are they using in the build that produce so much heat as to cause my feeble un-premium aluminium case to melt?

RwD

8. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

was that a ferrari case? i think i remember someone making a ferrari something case out of carbon fiber.

very cool stuff anyways

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Carbon Li. It got a writeup.

Zalman's passive cooling case WITH passive cooled power supply is only $800.
    ...and it doesn't look like crap.

If you do build a case. I'd make the frame a one-piece carbon block, with plexiglas panels. The plexi could be used for areas that could be changed if you need to upgrade. they could be mounted into nuts fused into the carbon frame.

10. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

^^^ Like Cheapskate said a carbon fibre frame/interior with acrylic/plexiglass side panels would look really cool

11. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I'm working on a really scarce carbon weave (1" spacing between filaments) impregnated with acrylic... a carbon reinforced acrylic panel. To be used in my next project.

12. Acolyte

Acolyte What's a Dremel?

13. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

SSR is/was building a carbon fibre Ferrari case here.