1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Overclocking Intel's Core i7 920

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 6 Nov 2008.

1. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

Thanks for info, Naokaji

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You're talking an impossible amount of work in a given time period, it's simply infeasible sorry.

As with any review you can't tailor it to suit everyone - you have to take a pinch of salt and read them as relatives, then scale it according to your own needs.

3. rollo

rollo Modder

4ghz q6600 on air is imposible at least as stable for any lengh of time

i got mine on air to 3.3ghz and was happy with that.

but to be the blunt

if your gonna spend £800 on a mainboard cpu and ram whats another £200 for a decent water cooler system

Id expect to se the i7 sell very well. the people most likely to buy this are between 18 and 24. With very few bills and working. 1months wages on a new pc every year. Ive done that before.

compare it to the extreme line which sells in exess of £900 for a chip and £800 for cpu ram and mainboard doesnt sound like a bad deal anymore

4. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

A note concerning HPET, it's required for Windows logo testing. (Do the letters DTM strike fear in anyone else? :) )

You guys covered the BIOS on the Asus board, but what about the MSI board? Are they continuing the UEFI experiment? Any opinions on it?

5. -Acid-

-Acid- What's a Dremel?

I,m one of the 4ghz plus q6600 (4.31ghz crunching WCG )owners that is thinking of making the change to i7 920 with a x58 motherboard, I,m really keen for some 4ghz q6600 against i7 920 benchmarks,

Good solid write up look forward to the follow up !!!

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

They have UFEI, but I didn't get time to look at it before the board popped its clogs. I will be covering it if it's available in the full review, that's for certain.

-Acid - I've no idea how you've managed to get a 2GHz overclock out of a Q66 unless you're running it with so many volts using extreme cooling that you probably won't have a chip left in 6-12 months :p Stonking overclock, but not something I have the time or spare CPUs to replicate sorry.

We appreciate the support :)

7. dansus

dansus What's a Dremel?

This exactly the info i was looking, x264 +40% on any other c2q, yes please.

YoYo have my digits and im eagerly awaiting.

8. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

Too bad about that, I was curious to hear about it in the mainstream space where the OEM is touting it as a feature.

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I was after it on the P45 boards but UEFI enabled boards never made it outside east Asia :(

10. -Acid-

-Acid- What's a Dremel?

I,m on phase cooling 24/7 and i,m running just over 1.6v real ( 1.65 in bios) i,ve had the chip a year now, ( will admit it is a very rare chip tho and my cooling methods are better than most but there are a lot of water cooled q6600 out there thinking like me is the leap worth the outlay.

If you would like I could run the tests for you at 4 ghz and you could add them to your test results. I will set up the computer as requested provide all information required.

Thanks -Acid-

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

There seriously aren't that many watercooled Q6600's out there and for the cost of watercooling you might as well buy a faster chip and overclock that just as much instead.

I've met extreme coolers in the industry who'd never buy 1.6V through a core 2 for any length of time :p

I appreciate your offer of help, but I think you're a minority within a minority sorry and we'd look like we're seriously favouring the Intel side of things :)

12. ryan33187

ryan33187 What's a Dremel?

Using your bios settings I cannot get my pc to boot at 4ghz.
    Any ideas why it might not be booting... I triple checked all your settings even compared to what you had posted on the screen shots in the bios on my other pc to the current. Thanks for the help.

CPU SPECS:
    Intel 920 I7 under a Vigor Monsoon 3 LT Dual 120mm Heatsink
    Asus Rampage 2
    Radeon HD 4870
    Corsair Dominator 3x1GB DDR3 1600

13. apoogod

apoogod trix arent just for kids

So I got the same setup as in the guide, the i7 920- P6T deluxe- Noctua NH-U12P- CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB DDR3 1600.

Original
    [​IMG]

OC
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Numbers:
    CPU Ratio: 20
    BCLK: 190
    PCIE: 100
    DRAM Freq: DDR3 - 1523 MHz
    DRAM Bus: 1.66
    CPU Voltage: 1.35
    CPU PLL Voltage: 1.96
    QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: 1.35
    CPU Differential Amplitude: 800MV

When I run Prime95 it goes to blue screen after a few mins. Not sure what to do.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Memory timings? or speed?

Try dropping the memory down one notch to see if that compensates. What speed is your Uncore running? Try dropping that down too.

15. apoogod

Its this ram, looks like timing is 8-8-8-24

16. apoogod

I dropped the BCLK down to 180 and running prime95 without a crash so far, just not sure if I should do anything else.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I used that exact same memory, in that exact same board (in fact, I'm testing it now for review).

What BIOS are you using?

18. apoogod

Version 1003 12/05/08....so far so good, at least in terms of not BSOD

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Im on 0903 still.

20. Trenthan

Trenthan What's a Dremel?

Ey guys

I have the same problem too ive got the same setup basically and it crashes right away at
    4Ghz, anything i have missed?

**edit bios version 703**
    Core i7 920
    ASUS P6T deluxe
    Corsair Dominator 8-8-8-24, 1600Mhz, (Manufac Code: TR3X6G16000C8D)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145224
    Noctua NH-U12P

also but i doubt it would effect it
    SLI gtx280's

Same settings as the guide however when i get into vista and start prime95 it fails right away(1-3mins)

Any ideas what i should lower im assuming the BCLK frequency, but i hope ive just missed a setting in the bios

Ill get some bios pictures up asap to help with any recommendations
    (changing settings now to take them lolz)

Cheers Trent

*******EDIT*******(for images)
    Now i noticed this time Ai Tweaker differed i had a few extra options... differnt bios versions (Im on version 703 what was the article done with???) or did i miss something.
    ill check the bios version in a minute to see if they match, ive boxed the items that differ

Here is mine
    [​IMG]

Here is from the article
    [​IMG]

Rest are mine

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any ideas as to what to change or just lower BCLK frequency??? so it wont crash right away in prime 95

Cheers Trent
    (if images of other sections of the bios are needed yell ill get onto it asap if they help)

Last edited: 23 Jan 2009
Tags: Add Tags