1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Gainward Radeon HD 4870 1GB Golden Sample

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 18 Nov 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Shurely you mean the other way around? :duh:

Also, while i think your conclusion is pretty solid (not worth the 30 extra pounds), i do think you should have mentioned two of it's merits in the round-up: power consumption and the shorter PCB. It may not be much, but both are potential buying decisions. Also, if the rest of your system is struggling to cool, it will certainly be worth sticking a card in there that's 35 degrees cooler in all scenarios :eeek:. In other words, you conclusion is too much FPS, and too little other stuff :p

3. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

While the PCB is shorter, it is only one centimetre shorter - such a small difference in board length is unlikely to have an enormous impact on whether the card will fit in your case or not. In regards to power consumption, while the 30W saving at load is certainly a nice bonus, it doesn't justify the price difference - Even if your electricity is cheap (say 22p per KW/H), you'd need to run the card at continuous peak load for a full 187.5 days to recoup the extra £30 investment.

And while the card does run cooler, the dual slot nature of the stock 4870 cooler means that it really doesn't cook the inside of your PC like the 4850 can. Add in the fact that you can't use that extra cooling headroom to overclock thanks to the BIOS compatibility problems, and they all become issues that just aren't worth mentioning in a full review

4. rpsgc

rpsgc Minimodder

I'm sorry but I can't agree with the conclusion. I know a whole lot of people who'd gladly pay that £30 price premium, even tough there is pretty much NO price premium for it in the rest of Europe (must suck living in the UK eh?), for a card with this kind of performance whilst consuming little power over a HD 4850!

5. psychoti

psychoti What's a Dremel?

what about the noise of the card?

6. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Also, I've only just noticed some errors on the power consumption page (I'd accidentally compared the card to a 4870 512 rather than a 4870 1GB). Power consumption at idle is roughly the same at idle, but is 19W lower at full load - apologies!

Last edited: 18 Nov 2008
  7. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

sorry if the message came across wwrong. It's a great review as always! I also said the conclusion is fine, i just think the benefits should have been included :)

8. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

After an incident with a golden sample 6800GT card that artifacted heavily at stock and flat out crashed at the factory overclocked speeds, which went off for RMA, dissapeared for 6 months, then came back with a fan changed but still artifacting/crashing, I won't go anywhere near gainward.:miffed:

9. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

The following card is £45 cheaper than this gainward card yet as far as I can see its the same:

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=609657

This despite its marketed name is a Palit sonic (read overclocked) model which features the same PCB and the same cooler (I would go as far as to say its the same card merely rebadged) as this Gainward card.

Why on earth would you spend an extra £45 for the same (or near enough identical) card?!

10. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

EDIT to my above post: It looks as though the backing plate is slightly different (Palit is lacking the vents and the displayport?!)

Other than that its the same thing.

11. SubtleOne

SubtleOne What's a Dremel?

Actually, Rivatuner is incompatible with ATI drivers version 8.55.1 (AKA Hotfix#2) and the latest WHQL 8.11. It isn't a BIOS problem. Try 8.10 and you'll see your OC limitations disappear.

12. gebbly

gebbly What's a Dremel?

13. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Well, I've had this card for barely a week, and I'm happy with it so far. I must agree with the review though, I think a 7 is pretty fair. I was appauled at the bundle or lack of should I say lol! I was thinking about getting a stock 4870 1GB, but I guess I'm just a sucker for having things running cool AND quiet, which so far is exactly what I've got.

Last edited: 19 Nov 2008
  14. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

VGA really??? come on.. seriously... just drop it already ~_~ I think I like this arrangement a bit more then their x2 version which is three bays granted it does have a nice cooler on it but just the same companies should aim for no more then two bays being occupied.

15. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

So basically you get a GPU cooler upgrade with lesser hardware components with no overclock possibility.
    I rather buy a very good third party cooling solution and overclock the hell out of it if possible.

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Indeed, parent company.

17. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

A native displayport and hdmi port on the card? :eeek:

*SOLD*

First non-mediacentre-ish video card i've seen with either of those ports native on them!

Got the 512MB version on order with scan now :clap:

18. karsh

karsh What's a Dremel?

got this card myself, sure the oc is a bit low still works great and is very quiet and cool

i wouldnt buy the 512mb version unless they "fixed" it, the 512mb has only one temperature controlled fan if i remember right the port layout is diffrent too and some other "little" bugs

19. atilla101uk

atilla101uk What's a Dremel?

Palit have been doing them for a little while now i.e. 9600gt sonic and also the 9800gx2's had hdmi ports on them

I'd just like to say that as a user of a thermaltake dh101 it does matter about the length of the board not just for fitment reasons but also for airflow reasons.

20. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?