1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Analysts predict Christmas flops

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Nov 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Would any of those games flopping at any time of the year be a massive surprise to anyone?

3. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

and the fact that newly released console games are 50 quid a go has nothing to do with the lack of willingness to spend money... of course not...

4. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

If any game does well vs. WoW i'd be suprised...

5. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

+1

6. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Frankly, there are so many good, original and innovative games out at the moment, that other games will have a tough time going up against them. The fact that all of the games mentioned are just cash-in sequels makes their fail probabilities all the higher.

7. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Honestly I don't think any game that doesn't have the number 2 or 3 in it will flop this Holiday Season aside from World of Warcraft. I am well aware this isn't the first Need for Speed, or Banjo Kazooie, but it just feels like this season (well year atleast) gamers want to know they are indeed playing the much await "Part 2 or Part 3" to any franchise.

8. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Stale old franchises... as expected.

Especially the Animal Crossing City Folk.

Nintendo took an amazing franchise which sold millions on the DS and ported it to the Wii... without making hardly any changes at all. Maybe they ran out of power on the Wii (in the CPU/GPU department LOL!)

My other half is a DS lover and adores Animal Crossing, but after reading the details for the Wii version of the game, she said 'Skip it.... its the same bloody game'.

As for need for speed games... YAWN.... I 'rented' one of them... never again.

9. naokaji

naokaji whatever

I predict a Christmas flop too, but for a different reason, shops around here have been promoting christmas stuff since september... so by the time christmas is actually close I'm sick of it and enter a mental anti state.

10. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

ive read that Banjo Kazooie is supposed to be soooooo amazing and gonna sell awesome. never believed it myself, but other than that, i havent heard much about these games.

11. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

here is the problem with most console games and gamers. Most console games need marines or space marines with guns to sell and console gamers only look at one or two genres of games unless you own a Wii which then you buy garage games 90% of the time due to the fact there are very few good games.

If look at sales charts for the USA any week on VGChartz or monthly from the NPD you will see the truth in this.

12. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

A better question might be, what's not going to flop this season? I can only really think of two games that are going to do really well and that's WOW and Left 4 Dead.

13. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

So what do you consider a flop? What kind of sales must it get to not flop?

14. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

To not flop, one must be able to think/read the title without vomiting, rolling their eyes, yawning, or making any other unenthusiastic gesture. If said outloud it must be able to be said in a serious or eager tone without present company doing any of the above, or beating the ever loving snot out of you.

Flop:
    "Hey guys! A new Hello Kitty game came out!"
    "Hey guys! They made a new Tomb Raider game, I know the last 5 sucked but..."
    "Hey guys! There's a new Mortal Combat game! I bet Scorpion can beat Superman..."

Not-Flop:
    "Hey guys! I got the new World Of Warcraft expansion!" (PS - You may hate this game, but it has 11 million active accounts.)
    "Hey guys! I bought Saints Row 2!"
    etc.

15. zoot2boot

zoot2boot What's a Dremel?

i hope the banjo and kazooie game does ok, i'm interested in playing that, cool concept and all.

16. Loot3r

Loot3r What's a Dremel?

so whens the new bionic commando coming out :) LOL

17. AClark

AClark What's a Dremel?

There's no games no games on that list that I would buy, even if I had an everlasting budget :x

Tags: Add Tags