1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Voltage Level Woes

Discussion in 'Modding' started by paul_s57, 25 Nov 2008.

1. paul_s57

paul_s57 What's a Dremel?

Hey Everybody,

I have recently started a new project, for which there are several requirements which must be meet, one of which is that it must use a 2.4GHz Wireless Transceiver which operates at 3.3V now unfortunately the test processor being used operates at 5V (and it is not a practical solution to run it at 3.3V, although it is just possible). The wireless card communicates via an SPI bus, which is not foreseen to operate at speeds of greater than 5MHz. However the problem I am having is finding a suitable Logic Level Translator, as ideally I would like it to be non-surface mount, to make initial testing much easier.

If anybody out there has any experience with these Level Translators as obviously you can get ones designed for Serial Busses then I would be very grateful of any info, especially if they are DIL socket types.

Thanks in Advance

Paul.

2. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

got datasheets on both? shouldn't be hard to find one that goes from 5V to 3.3V, but it will be hard to find one that goes from 3.3V to 5V.

and they make soic to dip adapters...

Last edited: 26 Nov 2008
  3. paul_s57

paul_s57 What's a Dremel?

Yeah I know they make smt to dil adaptors, but if it comes in a dip package that would be ideal.

After some searching around I have come up with the following unit clicky here looks good and is designed specifically for SPI busses (amongst others) so it is able to convert both ways (as you are right 5V to 3.3V are much easier to do, but 3.3V to 5V is a bit more hard to find.

Any thoughts on this are very welcome, or different products / ideas you might have used before would be fantastic.

Thanks

Paul.

4. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

if you post the specs of the things you are trying to communicate with, it would be easy to help you.

if the one uses ttl and the other lvttl then lvttl output should be able to talk to the ttl input.

edit: that part looks good. i'd buy it and give it a try if its cheap. if this is for a school project, get some samples.