1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I get around a website blocker?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by chrisb2e9, 2 Dec 2008.

1. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Hello, one of the guys I work with asked me if I know how to get around a website blocker. Where we work they block things like sport sites, youtube, etc. I know its possible because they do it at another location but I have no idea how to do it. Some kind of program, proxie server?
    Any ideas?

thanks

2. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

yeah, run it through a free proxy, provided your work doesn't block the proxies (lots do). you shouldn't need a program to do it, just google for free proxy and it all works in-browser. you can also translate a page from english to english with google translate.

3. Batou

Batou What's a Dremel?

4. chrisb2e9

crap, nothing works. If I even think the work proxy it gets blocked. google translation didn't work. I wonder how they do it at the other place. Oh well, company I work for has no blocking software so it doesn't affect me too much. guess my friend will have to go without his sports and stuff.

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I know the perfect software.
    Check out TorPark. It's a web browser (Firefox) that runs off any standard USB sticks. No installation needed. It surfs entirely using custom proxies each time, and makes SURE that their is no way for your company to know what which web site you visited. (other then record what you type on your keyboard, if they have such thing).

http://www.download.com/Torpark/3000-2356_4-10586817.html

TorPark is free, and there is a paying service (I think), which allows you to have faster proxy and actually surf the web fast As it uses Firefox, all Firefox plug-ins will work.

Now it chnaged to XeroBank web browser, and I don't know what happen. I lost track.

6. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

All these are useless if the company blocks all web traffic except that which goes via their internal proxy... which most big companies will do.

7. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

tor gets around everything, in fact tor will indeed avoid protons to give you free, unfiltered internet as according to net neutrality principles!

8. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

There is also yourfreedom, which is limited to 64kbit/s if you don't pay, but routes all traffic through whatever port you want (usually 80) to their servers and which point you can do anything.

It is supposed to work with bit-torrent and other fun things, but I have only come across it with someone playing WoW through it.

9. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

There are online solutions like vtunnel as well (google it). Works, but not for all sites.

10. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

As someone who runs filtering software (I work in a school,) I can say that there is probably a good reason that its in place. If you or a friend is looking to bypass it, don't be surprised if you're caught.

I don't know about anywhere else, but we can VNC student machines and keep an eye on their Internet logs. Obviously we have a duty of protection, which is why this stuff is in place. Proxy sites are mostly auto-blocked and we only have ports open we absolutely need. Students suspected of bypassing the system have their accounts stopped and records handed over to the senior support team.

ozstrike likes this.
  11. chrisb2e9

I use a general access account. one that everyone knows the user name and password. That and I have seperate internet up there that has no restrictions on it.
    So if anyone says anything to me about it, its easy enough to deny.
    Not that it matters, nothing seams to work. Its not that big of a deal though.

12. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Call me old-fashioned, but surely if you're at work, you should be...working?

13. chrisb2e9

HAhahaha, you really dont know how funny that is. Last winter our helicopters weren't flying because the extreme cold (I keep track of where they are) I didn't do a thing for 3 weeks but still got paid for it.

14. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

You could try and set up a CGI proxy on your home computer as a gateway, then use portable firefox to access it. Use your computer's external IP rather than messing about with DNS. We had some kids try that a few years ago, but y'know, we knew about it pretty quick.

http://www.jmarshall.com/tools/cgiproxy/
    http://portableapps.com/