1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Modifying Cathode Throbber Help!!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Escape Your Mind, 21 Oct 2002.

1. Escape Your Mind

Escape Your Mind What's a Dremel?

Hey all, im a major n00b to electronics, but not to modding ideas. I need some help from you experts on how i would achieve my idea.

First, im planning on using the Cathode Throbber, however i want to modify it. What i want is the option to be able to have the cathodes have a steady on at the flip of a switch. So i can have them throb, or stay steady on. However in this steady on state i want to have a way of using a rheo to be able to control the intesity or brightness of the cathode. If this is possible it think it would be an incredible and usefull mod for cathode freaks like myself. So as im thinking about it.. if i were using 2 cathodes, on a baybus i would have 2 switches and 2 rheos. The switches would be used to toggle throb and steady mode of the cathodes, while the rheos would be used to variable control the cathodes intensity in the steady on state. If anyone can help with a diagram of how i can do this, and parts it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Escape Your Mind

anybody?? pretty please?

with sugar!:confused:

3. Escape Your Mind

Hmm.. im stupid.. just re-read the article and it shows where to place a switch to be able to toggle from throb/steadyon/off

so i got that figured out.. however does anyone still know how i would be able to use a rheostat to control the intensity of the cathodes by implementing it into the schematic in the cathode throbber article? Once again, help would be greatly appreciated!!

4. Floydian

Floydian What's a Dremel?

just put a rheostat in-line with the 12volts+ line going to the switch, then you'll control the voltage coming in, from 12volts down.

5. Escape Your Mind

Thanks!

btw, what specification of rheo would i need to be able to hook up to control a circuit like that?

6. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam What's a Dremel?

just use a LM317T voltage regulator for the rheobus... I wouldn't rely on potentiometers these days. Article on Bit-Tech site here

7. Escape Your Mind

duh.. stupid me should have remebered that. Ya i already flamed one pot, not gonna do that again.. Thanks for reminding me about the volt reg. Looks like now i can just hook up a switch and rheo too each of the cathode throbers im going to make, so i can have full control over all 4 cathodes.. Thanks guys!!

Ill probably be back later.. im cooking up some more ideas that will probably need some electronics experts help!