1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple advises use of Mac anti-virus

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Nov 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Let's double post, since it's allowed in here... (and try to get back OT)

Gareth, any news on Apple revoking this statement? The link to the Apple site is already dead, and some of my friends pointed out that Apple retracted their goo

2. Ted Landry

Ted Landry What's a Dremel?

Too funny...

Just wait until benchmarks appear, the MacBook will wipe the slate clean in FPS... just watch!

You really need to study up on high end equipment, you guys have been dealing with bottom level "clones" for too long :)

3. Ted Landry

Apple never retracted anything, there was never any "goo"...

it was simply an error by some reporters... Apple is clear that you do not need Anti-Virus software... it won't hurt if you still have to deal with old Windows machines, but the Mac doesn't need it... case closed.

Another article retracting Apple's "so called" statement is here:

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1000000189,39569659,00.htm

People are so dumb, they think a UNIX based machine needs Virus software... crazy!

4. ATLPIMP

ATLPIMP oooh, shiney

5. Ted Landry

Viruses are 99.9999999% a Window ONLY Problem.

It just goes to show how uneducated many computer users and support staff have become...

The Mac is based on BSD UNIX and doesn't allow for Viruses, plain and simple. Window was never a "network OS", OSX always was...

The OS Macs run on is around 20 years old and is used in far more demanding locations than Windows or Windows Servers are... but still not a SINGLE virus during that entire time.

Face the facts, WIndow is the entire problem to why Viruses exist. Eliminate Windows from your Company or Network and all those problems forever disappear.

Microsoft is the weak link... never forget that.

-----

6. ATLPIMP

ATLPIMP oooh, shiney

...and to think.

Windows users can definately contract 'viruses' and other crippling apps-if you will.

Now, to realize the ratio of Macs to PCs in operation today, and the odds that more pcs will suffer than macs... would only make sense to me.

...I don't understand how no mac could ever suffer from or spread one of these viruses.

Put a man on the moon, but be damned if you try to create a mac virus.:hehe:

7. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

My good man you clearly have the iq of a glass of water and you head so far up your firewire port that you don't realise this is a tech web site pretty much every one here could quote you numbers showing just how wrong you are. Any way your opinion is clearly worthless your a deluded fan boy who would believe any thing that came in an apple pr, your the type that give actual apple users a bad name.

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

So wait... based on your hypothesis (I won't humiliated you by saying theorem). If I kill you, it will reduce the chances for me of being sick? THAT'S AWESOME! Now I know what to do to help prevent me from being sick this winter!

9. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

you are not seriously calling an apple product high end equipment are you? Just because it has a pretty logo and case doesn't mean it performs better.

take a look at some of the real computers on this forum and stay with that opinion... oh wait, you will because you still think that Steve Jobs shits diamonds.

10. Ted Landry

yes, but to think the ratio is around 0 for Macs and 145,000 for PCs.

so something else is at work here... and people in the know clearly point to OS X's superior UNIX underpinnings as the root cause why nobody has been able to create viruses for the OS X system (or Linux for that matter)

Windows was created before large networks were common, OS X was not, thus Apple has much more experience in making bulletproof operating systems.

11. Ted Landry

Well, everyone in the PC market agrees it's the top of the market for the money you spend. But sure, when you get past 1U systems, Apple has yet to play its cards.

Apple is the largest seller of laptops with the popular MacBook series, it owns the low end with the Mac mini, and has the best selling all in one units with the iMacs... but yes... the bulk of the market is still the mid tower range which Apple has chosen to leave to low end Mac clones since around 1999.

Macs are prices from $549 to about $30 million for big OSX iron.

Take a look at the range here:

http://www.apple.com/mac/ (consumer level)

http://www.apple.com/xserve/ (big iron)

---

12. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

that method of reasoning is seriously flawed....

but I didn't think that anything made by apple was a PC.... oh wait.... that is what that idiot in their ads says....

nice sidestep of the actual comment.

13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've heard nothing other than what's been posted here and what other sites are saying. As far as I'm aware, there has yet to be an official statement from Apple on the matter - although the disappearance of the knowledgebase article in question points to a retraction.

14. Ted Landry

Apple wouldn't say anything either way, that's not their style. No retraction needed since there is nothing to retract.

Basically, Intego was desperate to sell Anti-Virus software, so on November 25th, they lied... by stating that "for the first time" Apple was recommending the use of anti-virus software on Macs.

We now that was incorrect.... but the false story grew from there... most of the main details are here:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/03/apple_av_advice/

---

15. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Knowing Apple, they will probably silence it to death, and nothing ever happened... Or call it a feature ;)

True, Apple would charge you before they make a statement, that is their style. But courtesy goes to Intego for placing a statement on the Apple knowledge base site. I don't know a lot of companies that have access to that, excep, hmm, Apple...

But seriously Ted, either you stop posting ********, or you learn to quote multiple persons in one post...

16. Ted Landry

Incorrect, online and in store support is free... and of course Intego doesn't have editing access to the kbase, don't be absurd.

The quoting on this site is very 1998, so I'm not going to spend my time manually dorking around with such a primitive message board.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Then why are you still here? As much as I want to encourage our community to be diverse in its discussions you're the only one making these echo's and you continually insult its members. Feel free to leave at any time.

Tbh, your opinions on other OS' other than what Apple uses are circa 1991 mate.

Apple maybe the biggest seller of consumer notebooks but HP, Dell and Lenovo are the biggest sellers of ALL laptops and business counts for more. What's more, the mini is being outsold by netbooks now - your regurgitation data from your apple holy book is wrong.

Your assumption that Apple to PC is 1:few hundred thousand is HUGELY wrong too - try multiplying that by several thousand for PCs.

Last edited by a moderator: 4 Dec 2008
    Glider likes this.
  18. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Yup and that's why Crapple controls the computer industry. Oh wait it doesn't.

19. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Is it? Well, there are good looking buttons that allow you to multi-quote, but I admit, they aren't styled Apple and don't cost an arm and a leg to use...

Or, follow Bindi's advice and go away, you'll be doing yourself and us a favour...

EDIT
    Then, how did it get on? The link (in the article) points to apple... Which has now been removed.

20. Ted Landry

Ah, Apple certainly controls the market and has since 1976, except for a few years in the middle 90's. Most everything you do on a PC is because Apple made it possible, and brought it to the masses. The Personal Computer, Color Monitors, the Keyboard, the first 5.25 & 3.5 Floppy Drives, first Mouse, first GUI, first Plug and Play architecture, the Laser Printer, the CD-Rom Drive, first Motion Video architecture, FireWIre, first Palmrests on laptops, first Trackpad, the PDA, the WWW, Wireless, first usable MP3 player, first Multi-Touch Phone, etc, etc...

The rest of the industry can't move a muscle until Apple makes a move... So learn to deal with it or join in the greatest social movement of our time.

http://www.apple.com/

---

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.