1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Building By Numbers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Renegade, 4 Dec 2008.

1. Renegade

Renegade What's a Dremel?

Hello All.

I'm going to embark upon my 2nd PC build, only this time I'm going to spend the money needed to get good quality components rather than bargain bin.

My main reason for upgrading is for gaming, and some video editing. I built and currently use my P4 3ghz, 2gb RAM, 150gb HDD, and 6600GT Gfx. Sadly games like CoD4/5, Left 4 Dead, Far Cry 2, etc etc just won't run on my current setup.

Step 1 on my build is finding a case. This is probably the item that I overlooked the importance of on my first build.

At the end of the build I want a silent running system. So, as the building block for such a system, are there any cases highly recommended for their silence and cooling?

I'm not interested in flashing neons, or having a window to look at my abissmal cabling, lol.
    Silent running is my primary build goal.
    I will want to OC my CPU and will therefore need room for Watercooling systems.
    I can only ever see myself having 2 HDDs, 2 Optical Drives, and a card reader.
    Budget-wise, I guess £0-£200 all in.

Many thanks.

2. MG Man

MG Man What's a Dremel?

wow sounds like your current rig is exactly the same vintage as mine! (see the 'yet another build list' thread...)
    is that £0-200 for the case only or everything???
    have you looked at the hardware buyers guide on the main site?
    this looks pretty tasty and within budget (just)

3. mooseguy

mooseguy Crazy Moose

ATCS840 is your best bet, as mentioned above. They're large, look nice and have no side window. The Antec P182 fits most of your needs, but its a bit small for internal watercooling.

4. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

QFT, it looks good, it has no window, good cooling and still silent. But yeah, it doesn't have room for WC. :( However it has those tubing passthroughs for external WC.

5. Renegade

Renegade What's a Dremel?

Hi m8.

Yeh, this old thing is pushing probably 6 or 7yrs old now, lol. I'm surprised that my first attempt at building has lasted so long! lol. Hopefully when all is built, this new system will see me clear for another 6 or 7.

Sorry, by "£0-£200 all in" I meant for the case alone with VAT & Delivery included.

The 2 articles you linked to are the 2 I read before posting. On my previous build, the case wasn't something I looked at and so this time around I want to make sure I'm buying something that will get me the system I want in the end. I did like the detailed info on the 840 in the review, but I just want to brain drain knowledge before making the purchase in case anyone has other recommendations or personal experiences to chip in.

Another case that I've seen good comments about is the Coolermaster Cosmos RC1100S "Sport", although there was a questionmark over the level of noise.