1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple advises use of Mac anti-virus

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Nov 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ted Landry

Ted Landry What's a Dremel?

Macs have had multiple buttons since 1986, but most Mac users don't need the "training wheels" of a second / third button.

But to appease Windows users, all Macs come with 4 button mice and a precision scroll wheel.

http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/

2. Ted Landry

Liar, it's not losing you AP password upon restart.
    Liar, changing the clock does not require a password. (the Mac clock auto syncs to the Atomic clock, why would you change it?)
    Liar, ALL your PC Games run on the Mac, all without "emulation". check out CrossOver Games to run them without Windows.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/

or Fusion, to run them with Windows.

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/

Right click is on the upper right side of the mouse.

By the way... Contextual Menus started on the Alto computer, where they were called pop-up menus... but NeXTSTEP (now named OSX) refined the way they are used today. Microsoft didn't steal it from NeXT until several years later.

The Start Menu? Why have an extra button just to start? Sounds inefficient.

Learn how the Dock works and you'll never go back to the primative Windows way of slowing you down.

Ted

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

This is a 2 button mouse. This third one which open Expose is no real button. It's just a keyboard shortcut. And you don't have the third mouse button. I mean A REAL multi-mouse button. FULLY configurable (Windows only, basic mode for MacOS), with profiles:
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/130&cl=ca,en

On the plus side.... it's comfortable to use! Not like this peace of paper. If I want a mouse like your Apple crap, I would buy those 1$ mouse at the dollar shop, they have the same feature and are exact replica. Sure they are wired, but 1$ against 45$ for the same thing? I'll go wired for 1$.

This Logitech mouse is a real mouse, solid, comfortable, long battery life, super fast recharge (15sec = 30min of heavy usage), metal wheel with weight, smooth scroll with tic or free scrolling. 8 fully configurable buttons, side scrolling, ability to scroll in diagonal and proper weight (won't fly off)

4. GoodBytes

HAHA that crap! So not only you need to buy this software witch needs updates which you need to pay, but it slows down your computer. And let's not factor out the price of your Apple computer. I think Bill Gates will be poor if he buys a Mac and buys everything to make it at level as a PC with Windows.

I have 75 applications... show me how your doc will look like?
    Go use Windows Vista cave man!. This is how I run my applications:
    - Win key + wa and then Enter. This will open Steinberg WaveLab.
    - Win key + 3 -> firefox
    - Win key + 2 -> IE
    - Win key + 4 -> Winamp
    - Win key + vir -> Virtual PC
    - Win key + c -> Visual C++

how come? Complex configuration? No! Thanks to the quick launch bar which can be execute with the Win key and the number of it's location on the bar and thanks to Windows instant search.

On a mac: Take the mouse, move it at the bottom of the screen, wait until the movie of the docking rising finishes, and slowly move your mouse to analyze your 75 icons to find the application that you are looking for and click on it. Opening 2 instant of the application causes issue as you won't know which is the launcher and which is the opened application easily. And let's not forget, you can't just click on an icon, the icons hit detection is pixel perfect, so you have move your mouse EXATLY over the button, analyzing the icon, targeting the icon, and perform mathematical calculations to ensure that once you'll press on the mouse button your mouse won't move, so these mathematical calculation combined with the added physics calculation will insure that you don't move the mouse while you click.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CrQjfgvqJQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqKNNLadj_M&feature=related

See we are not alone, Ted :)

Last edited: 5 Dec 2008
  5. Ted Landry

Then you don't have a new Mac, open up the Mouse System Pref, do you see the 2 side buttons? If not, you have an old mouse. They are all 4 button versions over the last 2 years or so.

Ah, Logitech makes the Apple mouse, but I agree the Apple mouse is too light. (battery life is the same as any logitech on the wireless versions however) I mainly use a Multi-Touch trackpad nowadays, but use a trackball when I use my desktop. Mice are fine for casual use, but this huge trackpad really rocks... it's made from etched glass, sweet.

6. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Actually: no. I am not a lier. Those are all valid complaints I've had from friends and family running Mac's in a home environment. Unfortunately it falls on me to fix and setup these devices, and I loath every second of it. Everything feels needlessly convoluted, misplaced, and hidden out of the obvious. And there is no fabled "right click" on a macbook, it's a key combo via the keyboard. Streamlined!

Whenever I step infront of a mac, I always feel as though it was designed never to have anybody fiddle with it under the hood, only look at it's shiny buttons, and gawk at the purdy animated icons.

For how much work it took just to get my sisters macbook networked with a printer, network drive, and multiple local computers was a real pain I never want to go through again.

You know how long it takes me to get a windows system setup on my network properly, functioning 100%? Don't know, never timed how long it takes me to enter in my network password.

Oh, and stop lieing, please. Most games that have been produced to date do not run (well, if at all) on macs, as they're not developed for them, so you have to utilize environment emulators. Even certain games that run on mac require emulators to be installed along side them (see: spore). The simple fact is that you're pulling stuff out of your arse and passing it off as fact.

Ted: you've been proven wrong multiple times, and yet you continue to post. Please, before you make yourself into an even bigger tool, stop.

7. GoodBytes

8. Ted Landry

Do you have a video or set of benchmarks that shows that?

The video you posted doesn't show much of anything. just a jealous guy that can't afford the speed of an 8 Core Xeon based MacPro.

http://www.apple.com/macpro/

9. GoodBytes

Why it needs even more power than his Mac? Well I know it clearly does as demonstrated on his video. You cannot benchmark a Mac vs a PC, because both OS architecture is different, so the benchmark calculation has to be 100% different and is optimized differently.
    It's like people benchmarking Vista with XP tools.... the moment as new benchmark version was release, Vista compatible, it did a major change and shows Vista significantly better than with the previous version, and now faster than XP (I am not saying it's less heavy, it just manages it's resources better than XP).

10. Ted Landry

then why do you continue to lie? sounds like the Mac is too sophisticated for you, that's all...

there is certainly a right click on a macbook, it's a simple setting in trackpad prefs.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060627210830917

setting up a macbook networked with a printer, network drive, and multiple local computers, takes less than 5 minutes, so why did you have so much trouble?

setting up a network on a Mac is actually quicker, but you don't know that yet.

and ALL PC Games run on any modern Mac, quit lying... People are laughing at you for making such a ridiculous error. no "Intel Mac" require emulators... you are talking about older PowerPC Macs, not current day Macs.

spore runs fine on Macs, quit your lying.

11. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

more apples to oranges comparisons?

here's why most games do not run on a Mac: IT DOESN'T SUPPORT THE DX SERIES API!

the crossovergames and other projects simply emulate the functionality of the directx api, and there have been a lot of questions about the legality of these programs to begin with (copying code and API elements without Microsoft's consent or a software license)

also most mac video hardware is inefficient and the lockout chip built into the motherboard chokes the whole system.

I have created a hackintosh install on a regular machine before, and by running comparisons I can certainly tell you that a PC of similar/same hardware will be comparatively faster in application processing than a mac.

you continue to insult members of this forum, our intelligence, and proceed to call several of us outright liars, when we back up our arguments with valid facts, not marketing PR BullS*** like you do.

please, learn to create valid arguments before you post again. When/if you do, please post in a respectful, rather than demeaning manner.

12. Malvolio

Malvolio .

*fixed

13. Ted Landry

then boot via bootcamp, then ANY PC Game will run just fine.

a lockout chip? rriiiiggghht!

we're not talking about running OSX on poor quality PC hardware, we're talking running Windows Games on a real Mac, so step it up a notch or do not post.

thank you

14. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

And pay for two os's or just boot xp and if you want a proper *nix run linux or freebsd

Yet more PR ******** my good man, Macs run the same hardware that comes of the same production lines as any pc hardware its the definition of commodity hardware. Only difference is that apple do what dell and every other big box pusher, they select high end parts where they the specs are published ie cpu, ram and then fill the rest of the box with ****, crappy nb, noisy hard disk in the case of the mac especially CRAP gfx cards.

oh yeah.... :hehe:<---- i forgot to laugh at you this morning.

so step it up a notch or do not post.

EDIT: On the topic of super gaming laptops it looks like apple just lost its crown...http://www.topnewsblog.info/tblog_11137.htm. This thing has two crappy 9800 gfx chips and super uber monster 9400 that they stole from an apple engineer under torcher at gitmo.

15. Ted Landry

Technically, Linux isn't a "proper" *nix since it's not a fully compliant UNIX, while OSX is... read it and weep:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/unix.html

And don't make everyone laugh, sure PC firms use similar "manufacturing vendors" to build machines, but only Apple fully engineers their units and motherboards. The MacBooks are now carved out of a solid block of anodized aluminum, no other vendor is even close to that level of manufacturing. Check out the rather amazing video of how it is done... no more seams in a Laptop, very smart...

http://www.apple.com/macbook/the-new-macbook/watch.html#large

And lastly, Macs have never used noisy drives, and currently no Mac makes noise... they are all silent... the mark of brilliant engineering no Mac clone PC vendor can match.

16. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

I prefer the Voodoo Envy that is handmade out of carborfiber coming in at 3.3lbs(loaded).

You mean Apple puts the Intel designed mobo into the case? Because Apple didn't design or manufacture the MacPros mobo.

17. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Or processor or gfx card or ram or screen or hard disk they don't even make the little on switch.

I know i posted this above but it bears repeating.

On the topic of super gaming laptops it looks like apple just lost its crown.... http://www.topnewsblog.info/tblog_11137.htm. This thing has two crappy 9800 gfx chips and super uber monster 9400 that they stole from an apple engineer under torcher at gitmo.

oh yeah.... :hehe:<---- i forgot to laugh at you this afternoon

18. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

19. Ted Landry

Incorrect, Apple fully engineers its motherboards and has since 1976. Intel only builds the "custom" processors for them, that's why stock Macs always outperform stock PCs.

Yes, Apple no longer manufactures the boards, they stopped doing that around 1997, but they certainly do not use any Intel mobo's.

20. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

1) Apple does not use custom proccessors, intel has no reason to custom design a processor for one OEM, regardless of who as it's profit margins would be unfavorable (standard business practices at work)

2) They use intel designed motherboards. run CPU-Z on your precious mac and you'll see it uses the same intel chipsets as every other PC, only difference on a mac is that it has a chip that prevents anything but OSX from being installed on the machine (which is proprietary crap, but thats another issue)

3) DO SOME RESEARCH BEFORE YOU SPOUT MORE S***!

I'm an aerospace engineer by training, and milling parts from large blocks of aluminum should only ever be done where absolutely necessary, as it is both costly and wasteful of raw material, since it is very difficult to recycle the shavings. (they often reach flashpoint in the furnace due to low mass and often burn rather than re-melt)

yes it might be mildly impressive, but it also has the problem of being expensive to replace if damaged, and expensive in the first place.

if I were going for value for money in laptops I would either get a Toshiba portege or one from the Lenovo range.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.