1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple advises use of Mac anti-virus

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Nov 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

It is a Intel based mobo. Intel helped Apple design a mobo that could use a Intel processor. Foxconn took the contract to manufacture the mobos.

Intel Motherboard, Manufactured by Hai Hon Electronics Co. (FoxConn).

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ping_next_generation_power_mac_for_apple.html

@Blue So true! I have a friend whose dad machines parts for Indy cars. They machine most of their parts out of titanium and don't waste anything. The cost in waste is higher than the part itself so they use as little material as possible.

Last edited: 5 Dec 2008
  2. Ted Landry

Ted Landry What's a Dremel?

Incorrect, you are confusing manufacturing with engineering. Apple has never outsourced engineering of their motherboards, ever.

Look at the link you posted, look at the date... it clearly was a rumor at the time, but when shipped, it's clear Apple did the motherboard, and the case, and the software... Intel only supplied the processor.

That's why Apple has printed Copyright on every motherboard since 1978. Apple is a pure engineering company, much like HP used to be in the 60's through 80's... before they and all generic PC Vendors outsourced hardware design.

Only SUN, IBM and Apple do custom work... the rest are engineered / manufactured overseas.

But thanks for trying!

Someday you too will own a Mac and be impressed by how much Apple puts into their products, but until then, you'll have to suffer with a poor quality Mac clone.

----

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

:hehe:

Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong...

Apple make pretty things, Intel make motherboards and cpus, back in the day Motorola made motherboards and cpus for apple then IBM did. At no point has Apple ever ENGINEERED a motherboard or CPU or even a ****ing stick of ram.

I can also tell you that my performa 400 from back in the day doesn't have a apple copyright on the motherboard but on the apple symbol printed on the motherboard below the part number....

4. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Designing is engineering! Creative thought is used in producing the object. You mixed engineering up with manufacturing not me. Also that rumor became true all Apple did was put their sticker on the final product. Foxconn a Taiwan based manufacturer built Apples mobos and Intel helped Apple design a mobo that could support the Intel CPU.

There is a better chance of me being re-activated and going back to Iraq before I’ll buy a Mac. I've been using Windows based systems for over 18yrs. The fact that anyone buys a computer off the shelf blows my mind. I built a custom PC from scratch for 1/2 the cost of a off the shelf rig.

Last edited: 5 Dec 2008
  5. Ted Landry

What? Neither MOT, IBM nor Intel has never designed or built motherboards for Apple, only processors. Those companies simply don't have the skills to do high end custom work that matches Apple's needs. Your Performa mobo has an Apple Copyright, you just don't know where to look.

Apple helped Intel get up to speed with the Core Duos, and obviously Apple was part of the AIM alliance that designed the PowerPC. Now Apple owns its own chip design firm since those companies aren't able to keep up with the demands of Apple engineers.

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/04/four-reasons-ap.html

Please don't post unless you use facts, thanks!

6. Ted Landry

Great, but why you want a poorly built machine is odd... everyone laughs at the custom build market once they own a Mac... you just don't get the build quality, the software availability, nor the joy out of a custom rig. You sound like a redneck, that likes noisy cars and cheap women. That's fine if you have no education (no wonder you still support the war) but people that want the best in their lives always use Macs.

The Mac clones are for the K-Mart crowd, which it seems you are happy with. A Mac is a better value $ for $, but until you become educated, you won't understand what I am saying.

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Good quality, eh?
    http://go.theregister.com/feed/www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/06/macbook_air_display_problems/

Every month I hear issues about Mac computers.
    Here is a short database:
    http://www.appledefects.com/

I like my machine that does not burn, blow up, damage when I load Mac OSX.
    You want more sites, Ted? I know a lot more of them! Good quality my ass! A 50$ Acer laptop MASSACRE the quality of these Apple computers.

Apple can't even make a clock that works on an iPod.
    I have has 3 iPods all different.
    - iPod Photo
    - iPod Nano 1st Gen
    - iPod video last gen.

If you don't use iTunes to allow the software to sync the time, it gets wrong after a day. And I am not talking about 1 min off, I am talking about 5 or more hours. And let's not forget the time freeze issue that plague all iPods when you don't use iTunes. If Apple can't program a stupid clock, than I am sorry, they are crap. This is my last iPod. I can go on, on additional issues on iPods, but this is not the topic of this discussion.

By saying Apple surpass quality, you crossed the line, pal! Stop f**** your mac and get a real girl friend. Freaking cockroach.

My services which I offer to many in custom build computers presents elegant class design, where every parts integrate nicely with another, all by filling my client needs. And all pass trough rigorous testing that surpasses any brands. Chances that a user has a hardware related problem after 3 years is slim to none.
    These people that laugh at custom build computers is because they go "I want the CHHEEAAPPEST, I dont' care what, I want the CHEAPEST computer possible that fit somewhat my needs for today, not tomorrow,, just now!" So what does he get, a 500$ PC, beige ugly case, noisy, non-color matching computer parts and peripherals, crap quality, noisy, and so on, even after they were warn several time. And then go "You know what, it sucks after 5 years, I am going to get a Mac! I am going to cash out everything I got for it.". Well OF COURSE they will see a huge difference, but if they paid much less they could match the same system all with the elegant design they are looking for, even more.

Last edited: 6 Dec 2008
  8. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

ah, more massive generalizations. You are wrong. I have had 3 friends (all who used macs most of their lives) who commissioned my services in building replacement computers. (each of which has been used for much longer than any of their previous macs)

bull, bull, and more bull.

He has never said he supports the war, he has only made it clear he supports his brother marines.

bulls*it

9. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Now you really are starting to sound like some perverted preacher, GOD is there you just don't know where to look.... idiot.
    Show me, there an plenty pics on the web. Now lets see some links showing that apple actualy ENGINEERED some of these mobos

:hehe:

10. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

You can leave all this silly pedantic nonsense about technicalities to one side for all I care. One thing that makes Macs a non-starter for me is price.

Just checked the apple Store and apparently £1800 will get me a mac pro with a MASSIVE 320Gb drive and a AWESOME Radeon 2600 video card with a MASSIVE 256Mb of video RAM.

Wow! a bargain. I couldn't possibly outclass that with £1800 to spend on a new PC.

I'm still reeling from the absurdity of that statement 1 hour after I initially read it.

I was gonna build a high end, massively OCed i7 based system, but hell.... I'll buy Mac laptop now instead.

Mac users obviously don't play WoW then I take it :) Silly me, of course not. They're all "top" programmers..... Hmm.. makes you wonder why apple make the "Fastest game machne ever" then with their laptops... LOL...

Excuse me... I use this system at the college I lecture at, and it BLOWS! You are forever inadvertently launching "Exposé" if you so much as exert .0000001 Nm lateral pressure upon the mouse. That scroll ball is useless... FAR too small to be actually worthwhile, and the one button - two button design doesn't work - it's forever getting it wrong. Oh.. and it's the WRONG shape!! Typical Apple form over function. Quite simply, the new Apple mice are ****! I would love to be more eloquent here, but they just really are ****. Simple.

Want to know what great mouse is? Use a Logitech G5.

You can't buy entertainment like this.

Ted.. I want to marry you and have your children... I realise this isn't possible of course, but lets hope Apple invent something.

Last edited: 6 Dec 2008
  11. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

My be NSFW bit of swearing.

12. Volund

hahah, love that video, it never fails to make me lol.

"Mac KILLS my inner child" -- Hunter Kressel

13. Ted Landry

look at ANY motherboard made by Apple in the last 32 years, and they are all engineered in Cupertino... sure, after about 1997 they were "manufactured" elsewhere... but Apple fully designs their products from the tip of the trackpad / mouse to the last pixel of their screens. Only SUN and IBM remain as companies that do this high level work.

Someday, you too will get a Mac, so don't worry!

14. GoodBytes

One day you will own a PC, and you will feel foolish and humiliated the way you acted these past days and the next few.

15. Ted Landry

I already own a PC, but one that runs ALL software, not a machine limited to just Windows. That world is just too primitive for my needs.

16. Volund

Ted, I have been wondering, what is your education level?

17. johnmustrule

johnmustrule What's a Dremel?

Wrong, LG manufactures the LCD panels for Apple which are the same pannles found in Dell monitors, LG manufactures the design and engineering was done by phillips. The only design Apple has ever done is casing, nothing else, and that's why custom builders have the option of putting in higher quality parts at a lower cost.

The difference between the Dell monitor and the Apple monitor are minimal, the only technological difference is in the backlighting technique. Here Dell wins as it is the superior company. Dell provides a brighter display with more acurate color along with 600:1 contrast ratio compared to Apples 400:1 and 12ms response time compared to Apples 14 ms response time, all quantitative measurements. It's just like apple to **** up a great LCD pannel with cheap out-dated technology, just like their pc's.

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2400

Apple sucks at making just about everything, screens, pc's, mp3 players. You name it, they fail, except for one thing. Apple makes some great "looking" stuff if you want over the top, flashy, electronics albeit with no quality at all.

18. GoodBytes

Hmmm... I think I know where Ted comes up with when he says that Mac's are more powerful than PC's....

Now this is just from memory, because I recall laughing at that, but was so long ago...
    Anyone (except for Ted), willing to correct me on this, please feel free.

At one point in time, for a few weeks, when Apple was using the IBM CPU's, this was before the last generations of Athlon XP's and when Intel still had the P4 and when computer manufacture companies such as Dell, HP, etc... didn't put any powerful P4's in or Athlon XP's in their system. A small void was created. Apple spent (rumor) a nice sum of money at many sites and magazines (CNet, just to name one), to proclaim that Apple computers was the most profitable. Taking advantage of this situation, (as only average users read these crap sources, which most of them don't know the concept of custom build computer, let alone over-clocking, and all the CPU that is available on the market), by hiring actors to act as if they are professionals and say how Mac was able to do the rendering of their movies and such (remember that junk?) and posted it on their website. In result some studios and companies (oh and Ted) thinks that Mac is and still king.

As it was using a CPU that was not supported under Windows, some people speculated that yes maybe in fact this might be true as you can't compare using benchmark tools as they are on different operating systems, let alone different CPU (comparing chicken with apples), even thus, technically speaking they are ways to know with some time and resources and real time tests.

By using now the Intel CPU, Apple has no excuse showing that it's more powerful as it's the same CPU as on PC's. So there is no "maybe" that could be attached. So, Ted you are wrong.

Last edited: 7 Dec 2008
  19. Ted Landry

True, but Macs are always going to be the fastest Windows Laptops... you need to realize since Apple builds their own motherboards, they have the ability to build faster products than PC Vendors can.

From PCWorld:

PC World Confirms - The Fastest Windows Vista Notebook is the MacBook Pro

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2007/10/29...st-windows-vista-notebook-is-the-macbook-pro/

This is nothing new, Apple has always been the top choice for speedy units... but what you also might not realize is there is a small segment of the PC market that wastes a lot of time revving up "stock machines" to perform 5%, 10% faster than what the big boys do like HP, Apple, DeLL, etc... so they go around saying "the machine i just soldered together and wasted 10 days of my life to put together runs XYZ program, 6% Faster!!!!" which is probably true... but when you look at the "Average Speed" based on volume of units, Macs are usually the fastest sold in the market.

20. Ted Landry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.