1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows to Linux Server Backup

Discussion in 'Software' started by Springs, 9 Dec 2008.

1. Springs

Springs Boing boing

hi all..

im looking for some software that will backup files to my linux server that is hosted off site.. its so i can keep a copy of important files like pictures and docs.. i cant seem to find anything that will do it.. most is software that will backup to somewhere on the internal network which wont help me..

i would like the software to be free if possible and automated..

thanks

2. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

You could look into rsync? I haven't really used it, but it seems to be able to do the trick.

3. xion

xion Minimodder

while i tend to oversimplify things, would a simple batch script do the trick, tie that in to an ftp script, to upload the files, hell you could use the command line winrar to run an incremental backup, and keep older copies on the server...

While its not as slick as a third party application, the plus points are that its very very simple... if something goes wrong, it's easy to fix, simple to maintain & schedule...

4. Fumduck

Fumduck Have torch, will melt.

Microsoft has a utility called Robocopy. It's a command line utility, but there is a fre GUI available for it too. You can use the to push backups to offsite servers of any OS. I believe only FTP is required on the remote server.

5. Springs

Springs Boing boing

ive manually managed to ftp a bulk of the back up i wanted via SCP but its taken some time to do..

6. Glider

Glider /dev/null

look into backuppc, it works over samba mounts, all you need to do is share the directories on the Windows station and set up backuppc