1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA is 'disappointed' with 2008 sales

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 10 Dec 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Replace 'cost' with 'DRM' and then we'll talk. I think also, rather than rehashing old games, innovation is the way forward. Mirrors Edge, for better or worse, is a good step down that road but I'd be more inclined to buy games that aren't effectively Quake/Battlefield/Command and Conquer/SIMS clones.

3. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

With the proliferation of information on DRM and the increase in "non-techie" people becoming aware of its effects, I'm not surprised more and more people are avoiding legitimate purchases and opting for nntp/p2p versions.

I'd say to EA what we all say to the RIAA and MPAA - sort out your consumer business model first to reflect the change in media and user experience of the products and then you'll start seeing better profits. Slapping DRM and other draconian means of media management simply isn't working and is instead driving away your otherwise ligitmate consumer. <shrug>

Last edited: 10 Dec 2008
  4. Loot3r

Loot3r What's a Dremel?

DRM this DRM that! Im so over DRM its not even funny! As for EA not meeting there sales, well.....what exactly is meeting there sales! 1,000,000 sold per title??? or is it making more than what they spent to make the game in the first place!

5. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

I wonder if they'll blame it on DRM or piracy... 3 lost sales due to DRM from me, none because of piracy

6. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

The lessons to be learned aren't limited to just DRM.

When a company innovates, it needs to make sure that what it's innovating with is actually enjoyable. Going by word of mouth, they didn't always do that.

7. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

they should start making good games then and stop ruining other games when they buy out the game makers company (C&C, UO to name a few)

8. orry

orry Modding Addict

Make a decent game that doesn't crash or require patches and maybe you will sell games, stupid nuffs, they are so thick.

9. The Bodger

The Bodger What's a Dremel?

Maybe so, but surely that is simply the risk of trying to innovate? You can never be certain of the results when you try to do something new. By exploring new ideas you are inevitably exposing yourself to the possibility that some of them won't be as fun or successful as hoped. This could well lead to making a loss on some releases. The trick is to then build upon the ideas that proved popular - without the original investment in innovation, this would simply be impossible. Rather than cutting back, working with the new ideas that turned out best may be a better way forward...

From the sounds of it, EA is at risk of going back to what it was; a largely boring, non innovative company that simply re-hashes what is has already tried and is comfortable with.

10. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

What I mean is that they need to make sure the game that uses the actual gameplay innovations is actually fun, all around. You can have the greatest elements of game design in the world become worthless if the game is repetitious and incorporates other elements that clash with the fun parts.

It's also possible to make a game that isn't as deep or as challenging as one might expect. Spore is an example of making a brilliantly complex technology into an overly simple game.

11. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

To be honest, this isn't really a surprise is it. The whole economy is screwed up at the moment and barely anyone is making much profit. What the hell did they expect. Added to that the growing rejection of DRM by the public and the fact that they spent tons of money buying up other companies. Also one of their biggest tittles and also probably their biggest gamble "Mirrors Edge" was only released recently, right in the middle of the credit crunch. So it's not surprising this hasn't sold well yell. I just hope that EA don't see this as proof that rehashing old games and milking established franchises are the only way to make money. They need to concentrate on what the people want and on developing innovative new products. That's the only way they're going to survive in the current economic climate.

12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

get Westwood people to make Red Alert 3, and get someone with a degree in Physics to make NFS Undercover physics. (or hire the physics dude from Codemaster whom made GRiD)

also take out the DRMs, and then see if your sells go up. i, for one, will be buying RA3 and NFS if the above improvements were made.

13. Deadwolf

Deadwolf What's a Dremel?

Perhaps EA should go in to the rental business, like gamefly....

14. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

EA would have received my money if not for its draconian DRM.
    Mass Effect, Warhead, Dead Space, C&C RA3, ...
    [​IMG]

15. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

But Spore was absolute tripe, I wasted my money on that one.

16. Nictron

Nictron Minimodder

My Warhead stopped working after 2 weeks, and with allot of effort and time since on the phone and e-mail it still not sorted out.

I have personally banned EA games from my list, I will never pay for EA games again until they remove DRM!

I have also supported EA games in the past, set-up tournaments for their games, allot of effort from my side and they can't even support me properly with one of their titles.

I am sorry EA but you have lost a loyal fan with your policies!

17. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

3 lost sales because of DRM for me too: Mass Effect, Spore, GTA IV.

I really dont get why there is no statement as to what EA plans to do about their low sales. In it's current form the message is just a whine: "mommy, nobody bought my limonaaaaaade!"

[edit]OK, so he plans to cut costs. Are you kidding me? Now would be the time to invest! Lots of great developers have been sacked lately and are ripe for the picking, and the PC gaming audience has never before cried out so loudly for what it wants. There are clear goals, there's real money to be made, and the available workforce has more then enough capacity. If EA invests now and does it wisely, they'll be for gaming what microsoft is for OS's within the next 5 years.

but noooooo, let's cut costs. I despise managers, they never look at what they are actually doing.

Last edited: 10 Dec 2008
  18. bowman

bowman Minimodder

Release non-crappy games, stop ruining old franchises. I bought Mass Effect, quite liked it, I would've bought Mirror's Edge if you just deemed to release a PC version. I thought I'd be buying Spore and Red Alert 3 but it turned out those games were major horseshit! What's going on guys?

19. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

Man oh man the Anti DRM people here are like religious fanatics, they take everything and turn it into it is because of DRm. How about the games this year were not quite as appealing as 07?, plus the economy? Geez.

20. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Down with the evil empire!!!

Tags: Add Tags