1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling air flow

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tater salad, 12 Dec 2008.

1. tater salad

tater salad What's a Dremel?

i got a couple quick questions here
    first is my air cooling. i have 3 120mm silverstone fans and then the huge antec fan on top of the case, i think its 230mmish lol.
    then i have the dominator ram cooler on my ram. which makes it taller than my cpu heatsink.
    so my question is, what would be the best option to elimate this dead space. illustrated in the photo below.

[​IMG]

my first thought was reverse the airflow, and have it go from the back to the front, the only problem is, my video cards get a lil warm, and then id just be sucking the heat back in from them.

also is there any monitoring software that for sure works with my motherboard?
    DFI LP DK 790FXB-M2RSH

2. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Well my suggestion would be for a better cpu cooler, it'll pull more air on to your cpu and blow more out. and for monitoring software, im pretty sure speed fan would support that board.

3. tater salad

i have speed fan and core temp and they dissagree with eachother, speed fan says about 2c higher than core temp.
    i have a better heatsink comming for xmas, my sister kinda ruined the surprise part lol
    the one i originaly bought would cover all my ram slots, so i would not beable to have any ram.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8...2_AM2_939_AC-FPXT.html?id=Z4kM3QD9&mv_pc=1038
    thats the one im getting, but i still want to get cooler air back there so it has more cooling potential.

*edit* just looked at the clock tab on speed fan, says my motherboard is a DFI AK-76sn...

4. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

You really want to get rid of that dominator 3x40mm fans. Even overclocked RAM @ over 2V won't really need fan cooling, and all it's doing is blocking airflow to your CPU. This is especially true when you upgrade to that new Arctic Cooling HSF, which is a push-pull type. And it'll be a helluva quieter as well.

5. EnglishLion

EnglishLion working for the good of mankind...

I agree with dragontail. Get rid of the RAM cooler and you'll have a much better flow path through, you probably don't need it anyway!

Alternatively a side panel fan blowing in ontop of the CPU cooler, won't be much use when you upgrade the CPU cooler to a crossflow type though.

As for monitoring software, I use Lavalys Everest. You can download the free trial to check if it works OK with your setup. OK, it's not free but it's not too expensive either and it really is good!

6. tater salad

ahh, i kinda figured since i had the cooler i might as well use it, but i guess its hurting me more than helping me, ill pull it tomorrow and see if it changes my temps.

i just tried out the trial version, and didnt give me any errors, try it a few more days before i buy it though
    thanks for the help guys:)

7. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

The Home Edition of Everest is abandoned and way outdated. Doesn't detect anything correct on my new computer. But the payware Ultimate version works 100% fine, and new versions even give more stuff in there.

Definitely worth it's price.

8. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I'm using a stock cooler for my 9850BE like you. My case isn't all that good at cooling but there's a 120mm inlet fan directed right at the CPU via a shroud yet my temps under stress hit 65 degrees celcius. They're just hot CPUs, even more so if your 9950 is the 140W one.

It might be that I need to re-apply the thermal paste though, I took the CPU out to replace my motherboard. (Word of advice, be very carefull when flashing that board, I killed two with bad flashes)

9. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

i think you'll fiond when you get the heatsink all your temps will come down, i wouldnt make any changes just yet

10. tater salad

wheres the multiplier in the bios? or is that why you flashed it? lol.

11. tater salad

took the ram cooler off, still running at about the same temp

*edit* actualy now its running hotter...

Last edited: 13 Dec 2008
  12. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

What voltage do you run your ram at?
    With my old mushkin they suggest that at 2.3v you should have direct airflow on the ram or it will die pretty quick.

13. tater salad

my memory is at 1.9v running 5-5-5-18 timings
    its supposed to run 2.1v and 5-5-5-15

14. tater salad

im thinking about putting the ram cooler back on, with it on it was idling at about 50c, right now its at 56 and thats with my fans all out, im half expecting my case to be hovering lol

15. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Okay, didn't expect that. Try taking it off when the new HSF comes, I still think your CPU temps will fall with the RAM cooler off.

16. tater salad

lol, neither did i, my guess would be the air the ramcooler was blowing onto the ram was also blowing on the heatsink for my cpu.
    put it back on and it didnt want to spin up, so i put one of the antec 3speed fans on the side panel.
    its running colder so i guess enough is getting in, even though its pointed at my vid cards.

17. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

If its only at 1.9 then I wouldn't worry about direct air on the ram.
    I agree with everyone else, get a better cooler to lower your temps. the airflow in that case is enough to keep the air temp in the case down to room temp.

18. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

F9 opens advanced settings. It surprising how many people miss this.

19. tater salad

ahh, thanks. it was right in front of my face on my last dfi board so i figured it should have been on this one, guess i shoulda looked a bit more huh lol.