1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Mineral Oil Submerged Computer - The Final Pics - 12/12/08 - Finished

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by OilPC, 15 Nov 2008.

1. OilPC

OilPC What's a Dremel?

Thank you for your great comments. I already know you are a great writer from your project log, and that is why all the comments you leave make me feel good. :D

I will post updates after 6 months and 12 months to let people know how the system is going. I wonder how many people want to see them though. :p

I am also thinking about posting a video since I recorded some videos clips. The problem is I'm pretty lazy person...I even don't remember which hard drives I backed up all the clips to.

The printer cable connector is quiet bulky so I had to make a room against the wall. That's why I told you that your idea is great. "Hiding the connector" Anyway, for better air circulation, the system needed a little more room since the radiators are in the bottom part(box) facing the wall too...just like a refrigerator.

Next mineral oil system will be different from the one I just finished. I will use decent MINI-ITX motherboard, but no fans and radiators at all. Therefore, it will be totally different experience ,and I'm thinking about using SSD to save some space rather than regular HDD with breathing tubes if I can find really cheap(bargain) ones. Money is always the biggest problem. :wallbash:

I never thought about painting the hardware tray (motherboard tray) because only a little bit of the aluminum tray can be seen. However, it will definitely give a touch to the system. Thanks for your suggestion.

I tried to make the acrylic tank as small as possible to reduce the amount of oil used. That is why I even directly soldered the power cables to the power supply.

The tubing connections I used called 'ONE TOUCH FITIING' ,and they are what I used for my water cooling systems as well. You can find more information at below links.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=ko&q=one touch fitting&lr=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

http://www.conekfit.com/en-p1-1.htm?gclid=CJ6n07Xfw5cCFRlRagodv1MwSg

http://www.automation4less.com/onetouch.htm

http://www.smcusa.com/sections/products/fittings_tubings.asp

2. OilPC

OilPC What's a Dremel?

Yes, I think you are right. Even though I put two 120 mm fans to each radiator I am only able to get 6-7 degrees cooler. However, it is the lowest rpm setting. I think that when room temperature gets lower, or rpm is set higher, I might get better results. My concern however is with having a low noise and zero dust system, so keeping the system under 50 degrees is quite a satisfactory result for me.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed my log, and I also really appreciate your interest.

Thanks for reading my worklog and the congratulations. What a relief it was when I finished the project.

I'm thinking about replacing the pump with a more powerful one with higher lpm (liter per minute) rate and the fans with ones that have a better air flow rate to get better cooling results, if I have free time in the future and a chance to buy extra parts. Thank you for leaving me a kind comment.

Thanks...:D

All the fans in the oil works ok, but spin very slowly. I can also see the heat wave from the fan...I mean temperatures difference in oil makes some kind of convective wave. It is kind pleasant and relaxing visual looking. Especially, for the fan in the graphic card's heat sink, because I set the fan's speed at 'AUTO FAN CONTROL', I can actually see the fan spins differently based on the temp of the oil.

The mineral oil I used is PETRO-CANADA FOOD GRADE "Purity FG WO 15". It has flash point of 180 degrees Celsius and viscosity of 15. I'm thinking about posting an extra log about mineral oil if I have a chance.

3. OilPC

OilPC What's a Dremel?

I have never thought about MtoM, and winning is not important to me, and I don't think that my mod deserves one anyway. All other mods are much greater in every aspect, but nomination itself means a lot to me. Thank you for reading my log. :D

There must be one, two or even more unexposed oil pcs out there. I was just lucky to have chance to expose my work and meet great modders(readers) here at bit-tech.net to get excited comments like yours. Thanks.

I am really happy with the temps of the GPUS. They are comparatively cool I think. Using a bigger radiator probably works better, and I'm thinking about doing some extra work on the system when I have some free time. For the 2nd system...actually it will be my 3rd mineral oil system since I built a test system 2 years ago back in 2006....The test system also works just fine until now. The picture of the test system is here...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway, my next system will be totally different from what I have done. No fans and no radiators.

I saw some comments about 'COLORING MINERAL OIL' somewhere, and none of dyes worked. Please let me know if you can find any kind of coloring solution or colored non conductive liquid with non-pcb-staining. Thanks.

Thank you for your comment.

It is good to hear that the words 'brilliantly executed design" even though I don't think it is such. :blush:

I would say that the fans are not necessary for the mineral oil cooling, and they are mainly there for decorative look (visual effect). However, the heatsinks must be on the CPU/GPU as a heat buffer. Without them, based on my attempts, the temps increase dramatically.

Therefore, Amari's choice, having a bigger heatsink without fans, is a great choice I think. :thumb:

Thanks...it is really good to hear that. : )

Thank you. Please check out my next mineral oil system in the near future.:)

4. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

Actually, thermal compound offers worse heat transfer than even something as boring as plain water; the only advantage is that it doesn't dry out like water would (in fact, I've seen tests showing that toothpaste works better than thermal compound until it dries out). I'm willing to bet that mineral oil is considerably more effective than even the best thermal compounds. You couldn't do it in a normal computer because the oil would quickly run out or evaporate, but in your case it's almost certainly the best approach.

Have you taken any readings on those fans? I'm curious how much extra current they draw under that much load, and if you've noticed any longevity issues as a result. I apologize if you've already answered this question in one of your posts, but I didn't see it when I skimmed through the thread.

Again, this is by far the best oil-submerged computer I've ever seen. Brilliant work.

5. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Aw shucks, you made me blush. :blush: Thanks for the nice comments as well as the links and info!
    I'd imagine the next system will be even easier. The SSD drives probably don't have breathing holes I imagine (haven't been lucky enough to get my grubby paws on one.

I'm wondering if the fans are generating more heat actually, since they have to spin harder through the oil... :confused: might be an interesting experiment to go fanless (and throw an aquarium bubbler in there for effect! :D

6. ROB 636

ROB 636 Ski-Ba-Bop-Ba-Dop-Bop

This was a interesting build that turned out great.

7. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

Hey I've just read through the worklog and how amazing! You do yourself a credit, and you're so modest as well! I would like something like this... although going to LAN parties and back and forth from University I might need to build up some more muscle ;).

You were saying you wanted to build a mini itx system but money might be an issue - might I suggest approaching some hardware suppliers and ask if they might sponsor you? The quality of your work is so high (really top level stuff) that I am sure companies would like to be associated with it.

I think there is an article on bit-tech.net about securing sponsorship with regards to mods somewhere. Best of luck with the future build though, I can't wait to see it.

8. OilPC

OilPC What's a Dremel?

I totally agree with you. Thanks for supporting my theory.:clap: Getting rid of thermal compound must be done if hardwares get submerged in mineral oil ,and mineral oil works ok (or better) as a thermal compound. I also don't need to worry about running out or drying out because there is plenty of oil in the system (28 liters).

Toothpaste as a thermal compound...that is interesting test ,and the result is pretty awesome too.

Fan's rpm is around 140 rpm ,and comparing with 2400 or higher rpm in the air, You can imagine how slow they spin in the oil. Since liquid is heavier and denser than air, the question is how long the fans will stand up to the stress of circulating oil. However, hotter the oil gets, easier for fans to spin. In my case, for over 2years, fans in my test system still spin fine.

Being in the oil probably helps the fans last longer since there is plenty of lubricant.:D

You're very welcome. Yes...the SSDs don't have any moving parts and breathing holes ,and it will be easy to play with oil...no worry...just dipping. I also haven't had a chance to use one yet though.

Emm...that's interesting question. I have never thought about that. The fans under stress like circulating liquid probably generate heat since they don't have ‘liquid’ rating. As I already told, I'm not an expert....I hope the heat is minimal ,and probably it is. Does any one have any thoughts? Anybody got a link to this issue?

For the 2nd system, I promise you will see more than bubbles.:dremel:

Thank you for looking. The time I spend on my Oil PC has become more pleasant because now the system is almost noise free (since I have four 120mm fans on the radiators, It can't be 100% noise-free) and dust-free. Simply...I hate dust. :)

You must be a very talented patient reader. :eeek: Thank you for your kind words.

Yes...28 liters of oil...it is heavy for sure. That is why...If I build another one like what I just finished, I will install Caster Wheels on the bottom of the case. Seriously...:dremel:

Thanks for your suggestion. However, I think securing sponsorship wouldn't be that easy. In normal life, doing something on someone else's penny is almost impossible isn't it?

There must be so many people who want something for free. I will try though even though I am not sure how long I will be in the lineup. :jawdrop:

Who knows...If my project or name keep being recognized by wonderful readers(members) like you, there might be a chance for me. :D

I wish you all the best before the year ends.

9. flare

flare What's a Dremel?

man gratz that is one cool mod, I feel for your arms :p, it must kill them to move it around

10. OilPC

OilPC What's a Dremel?

Thank you for your comment.

I never dare to lift it up. :jawdrop: To move it around, I push it on the carpet.

11. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

simply amazing work :jawdrop:
    this is the first log i have seen of a fully submerged PC, and it is an excellent example of one.
    the dark wood stain against the clean aluminium (yeah i spell aluminium with an i) angles running up the side, i think is a great contrast

looking forward to your next project log with the use of SSDs

12. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Truely superb work there! I've seen a number of oil-submerged-PCs, but none has been even nearly as well made as this one... It really seems like this beast can be used for years w/o any troubles if the components don't blow themselves up.

13. Skibo1219

Skibo1219 Brains...the other white meat.

Wow! Just..WOW!

I was wondering about the submerged fan rpm, have you tried to reduce their drag by reducing the surface area? A few ways I thought of, shorten blade circumference, cut the width in half, or even removing full blades. Even the pitch of the blades would have an impact on its current draw and speed. I don't know how this would affect flow but the thought of creating a whirlpool inside that might have some bizarre lighting effects. :jawdrop:

14. Cheddarlump

Cheddarlump What's a Dremel?

Interesting idea to vent HD's

I went a different route, and wish that I'd taken the same path you did.. :)

I taped off the sata connectors, and dipped the HD's in epoxy to completely seal them. It worked, for quite a while, until the heat buildup in the drive forced the air to crack the epoxy.. I didn't reenforce the epoxy with anything.

Anyway, feel free to see another take: Cheddarlump's Submerged Machine

Also keep in mind, I did this in 2005.. :)

15. noobieocer

noobieocer What's a Dremel?

wow that is really cool, just wondering thou, dont the oil dry out through the space in between the expansion slots?

16. longwing

longwing What's a Dremel?

The bit with the hard drives is particularly brilliant. I myself am not that clever, I'm just planning to house them outside of the oil.

Of course, really, the whole thing is brilliant. I salute you sir.

17. Daedelus

Daedelus What's a Dremel?

I have never seen an oil cooled system before like this. It is truly breathtaking! That takes skill, patience and bravery to build something like that :thumb:

18. |NoobixCube|

|NoobixCube| What's a Dremel?

One Quick thing. Are you EVER able to replace or add components? As the mineral oil would jut move into the contact area's and wreck contact with components? Or can you somehow 'Wash' it off if you decided to remove the components from the oil?

19. youeffsee

youeffsee What's a Dremel?

You make me proud to be Canadian. This is amazing in every way.

Would love to hear about the 6 month update you promised about. And it must be about time for another oil build from ya. :naughty:

Last edited: 13 Aug 2009
  20. Tvorman89

Tvorman89 What's a Dremel?

Contemplating Oil Cooling System!

Hi there OilPC I was just wondering if your system is still running smoothly as I am strongly considering doing a similar setup.
    Regards,
    Trevor

P.S. I love your case and all the hard work you have done obviously paid off. Good job man!:cooldude: