1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Spore coming to Steam?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 17 Dec 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. TommyVD

TommyVD What's a Dremel?

Didn't EA already put Crysis and Crysis Warhead on STEAM a while ago?

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

It'll probably still be loaded down with securom thus negating any benefit of a steam release over just buying it retail, i can't see EA undercutting them selves.

4. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

This could be good if EA are going to move over to Steam and drop their shitty online service

5. plagio

plagio What's a Dremel?

Yep, they are both on steam all right and like steveo says, both had Securom even if on steam.

6. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

Crysis is made by Crytek, Spore is actually made by EA, big diff.

7. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

I hope I'm not the only one who doesn't get the whole securom on a steam game idea? It's one of the reasons I like steam, the other stuff isnt needed :)

Might finally pick up spore now

8. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

i love steam, but it's not enough to make me even think about getting this game.

9. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

Nope. Spore is made by Maxis. Both games are published by EA.

10. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Crytek is an independant developer which uses EA as a publisher. Maxis is a development studio wholly owned by EA, the full name of which is EA Maxis and which is most commonly linked to the EA Casual or the EA Sims label depending on which territory you are in. Thus, EA didn't work on Crysis but did develop Spore.

Serious business.

11. dylAndroid

dylAndroid is human?

If they drop Securom, I'll consider getting it.

12. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

Valve imposes no requirements as to what the game should use or not use when it comes to DRM. Valve offers it's own DRM if the developer wants to use it, but if they have their own DRM tech they can just use that. Valve also offers a host of other features from the Steam portfolio and also Source Engine (but that's another thing entirely), but ultimately it's up to the publisher/developer to decide what they want to use or not. Valve would shoot it's own foot if they started to scrutinize or deny publishers access to Steam platform in any way. It's all about the money remember? Steam started out as a platform only for use by Valve itself. But they added more features to it and made a system so games don't necessarily have to be packaged the same way as Valve's own games (put in GCF files for example).

EA would be smart to accept that Steam's DRM is more than enough and drop it's own DRM. It's highly unlikely that they will do this given EA's track record. But doesn't EA want to steer away from this track-record now? This is a tough thing to guess. Sony DADC SecuROM's lobbyists are working hard these days.

13. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

no, nobody understands it. except presumably some guy who makes decisions at EA, but even that's doubtful.

Tags: Add Tags