1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows The "I hate wow" anti-thread derail thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Bogomip, 15 Dec 2008.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

One can find examples of people behaving exactly the same way with other games. The actual "task" they're performing in-game is immaterial.. the fact that they spend time in there instead of going out in real life is the same.

The people in question will just find something else to obsess over if you took Wow (or whatever their chosen game be) away from them.

I've gone weeks without loading WoW. I'n not at work today, and I've got a whole day to with what I will.. and so far, I've not loaded up WoW. I may make some toast in a minute. I need to change the cat's litter tray at some point. The christmas tree needs putting up as well. I have many things to do.... if I have time after completing these tasks, I may play WoW later.. maybe.. if there's nothing good on TV.

Get real... you didn't lose friends to WoW, you lost them to their own addictive personalities. It's a game.. not crack!

2. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

exactly i cant understand how people play the same instances over and over again for years until the next instalment comes out, how does their brain not dribble out of their ear?

I played Warhammer online for the duration of the trial period, because i had never tried a mmorpg and i liked the idea of realm vs realm. i got to level 17 and gave up, but the whole time i was thinking 'this HAS to get better soon'.

basically you're relying on an incredibly old fashioned control system built around negating lag for the user and number crunching. I like rpg's and i dont mind the odd bit of number crunching but the way it is implemented in mmorpgs is just so cumbersome and nasty. i dont understand how people play something like L4D and then just return to WoW, for me that would be like 'ok ive had my fun, back to the filing'

3. Pookeyhead

I don't raid, so can't comment upon what makes people hit the same instance over and over again, night after night. I mainly PvP in battlegrounds, which to me is no different from any other PvP game. It's never the same because you're against other players, not the lame in game AI.

How does this differ from playing CS for example? Leaving game mechanics aside, the principle is the same... you play against another player(s). That's never the same twice no matter what game you're in.

4. [PUNK] crompers

And why would you do that? Game mechanics are one of the main reasons I spend my time playing games

5. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

MMORPGs have a fundamental flaw. They all play like Excel spreadsheets. Stats, micro management, grinding all go to advance numbers in a database table. CS:S, DoD, L4D are skill based and require direct human input.

I know the comparison is deeply flawed, and I accept that WoW probably does require some degree of skill to play well, but I think it's this playing by numbers that puts people off.

6. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

you guys need a good pvp game like fo2 online.

trouble is everyone gets ganked at spawn by those pesky russians!

7. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Then send the Fins in first...

[​IMG]

8. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Helps when the russians kill half of their own officers.

9. flibble666

flibble666 sorry i am dyslexic

just a quick one i hate wow but i dont voice my opinions as tbh they dont rely matter just one thing why did you feel the need to start another fred about not wow-bashin when you alredy posted asking for peope to not do it in the "wow guild" thred and if you dont care what the so called anti wow members of these forums say then why start a thred about it thats probly more likly to bring out the anti-wow'ness in people like me who dont rely care this is a pointless thred probly started just to pravoke people in to slamming those who play wow and give you something to wine about and increase you post count go and play wow and stop wasting your gaming time wining

and befor the flaming starts about my spelling read the bit under my name

10. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

Internet sex doesn't count.:rolleyes:

11. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

it wouldn't be bit-tech if not for the threadjacking. srsly, when has any thread gone longer than a couple pages without drifting horribly off topic?

also, WoW kills babies. and puppies.

12. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

How true. The first part, I mean...not the puppies and babies. WoW annoyingly doesn't let you kill children, even if they're from the opposing faction, and there are no puppies ingame (though you can kill kittens, which is a nice compromise).

I'm in two minds about WoW. I hate what it does to people, and the way the endgame structure simply can't help conflicting with a normal social life; at the same time, though, I recognise how stupid it would be to objectively hate a piece of software when it's really just revealing weaknesses in the human condition.

Whatever, I don't know. I agree with the 'overreaction' comments, the WoW hating hasn't been too bad so far - just mat-ster leaping in occasionally, preaching like a priest in Las Vegas :)

Escapist wrote an article about finishing games recently (link) noting that, while it's considered socially acceptable to dedicate hundreds of evenings to novels and TV shows, it's unacceptable to do so for one game. It's even seen as fairly passable to spend hundreds of hours on a variety of titles, but not on a single MMO. There's no real reason for the distinction - WoW is more mentally stimulating than the average TV show, for instance. And be aware, every TV show you've watched all the way through (Lost, Family Guy, etc.) adds up to literally days and days of time sat down doing nothing.

This doesn't make playing WoW for months on end okay, it's just somewhat...unfair that it's the only thing in our culture of laziness being hated on.

13. Pookeyhead

Simply because it's not what we were talking about. I agree that it's important, but not in an argument about how WoW makes you lose your friends because it's a pernicious hard core e-drug :)

The game mechanics are flawed, yes, but it doesn't actually stop you getting enjoyment from it, or being good at it. Yes, there's a lot of excel like number crunching, especially if you play a hunter, as timing shot rotations requires a great deal of knowledge about the game mechanics etc.... but you know what? That's all part of the fun if you like that sort of thing. Hell, I enjoyed playing text adventures on a C64! Not much in the way of game mechanics there either. I loved Myst.... ditto. You're comparing two different kinds of game. You can't compare L4D to Wow... not only for the obvious reasons, but because they're not meant to be played the same way. WoW IS all about understanding the numbers and how things work. The new Death Knight is a great example. Most damage comes from when diseases proc on your weapons, so knowing what strike to make and when is crucial, as is using them in the right order to avoid rune cooldown situations. If you don't play WoW that probably didn't mean a great deal, and I apologise, but basically, it's a different game, with a different set of skills required.

There's a lot of the classic "Sim" type gameplay in WoW for me. I mean, I spent HOURS at a time playing A-Train on the Amiga, and all you did there was place a factory, and some houses next to a railway station, and spend 3 hours watching to see the effects on your population and revenue... sounds dull as dried crap when you put it like that, but in reality, it can be quite absorbing.

But that's only a flaw when you use it in an argument to explain why it's not as good as , say L4D.. but, of course not. That would be as stupid as a road test of the new Massey Ferguson tractor, and then complaining that it doesn't handle like a Exige. When in reality, what you want to do with it, is plough your field. Does that mean Ploughing a field is not as GOOD as going around corners quickly? Why even compare the two? Why compare a modern, cutting egde 1st person to a MMORPG?

It's just fashionable to hate some things I suppose, and there's a great deal of Nerd Elitism in the gaming world.

I re-iterate: You didn't lose your friends to WoW, you lost them to their own weak, addictive personalities.

Last edited: 18 Dec 2008
  14. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

I have nothing against WOW, but for some reason people assume you either play it or hate it. I tried it and it wasn't for me... i moved on.

If people want to spend their life playing it who cares?! People have done the same for loads of games, admittedly more people do so on WoW..

HOWEVER, its still fun to tease people who play it as they seem to take it so personally! I honestly must spend about 20minutes a day annoying my WoW playing housemates by saying how rubbish WoW is.

15. Pookeyhead

Couldn't care less tbh. In fact, those that defend it can be as bad as those that hate it. I just thought I'd put a reasoned argument forward rather than a "OMG your such a n00bz! You don't ven play it, it roxx!.. ur just to stoopid to get it" kind of rant... or a "It is the work of the devil.. I lost my children to Blizzard's evil machinations".

I like to think I sit on a nice, middle ground, with comfy chairs.

16. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I don't know if it's elitism or that each one of us is different, with different tastes. I'll happily play skill based games where stats based games have no appeal to me what so ever. But that’s just me.

I guess I prefer see the world through the eyes of my avatar. If my avatar comes under fire, then only my physical skill as a gamer can get me out of trouble.

Having a stats layer takes away the immersion for me. It's frustrating not to be able to do something because you don't have the right numbers in the right place.

Stats create a level playing field, though. I know a wider slice of the populous play WoW over games such as DoD because it's more accessible, more forgiving. My friend’s girlfriend refuses to play L4D because she doesn't know what she'd doing and doesn't want to screw up in front of everyone. Needless to say, she plays WoW without this fear.

For me, the slow progression of WoW ends in frustration. The basic premise of an MMO is appealing, but until Infinity: The Search for Earth or some other skill based MMO is released, I'll stay away. OT, one based on the sprawl trilogy would be awesome.

Heh, OT, a tractor was one of the first things I learnt to drive.

17. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Actually your spelling isn't that bad, however your punctuation is severely lacking.

But, I do understand that living with dyslexia must be quite a hassle.

18. [PUNK] crompers

I certainly don't hate wow because its fashionable to. In fact I don't hate wow at all, I'm just massively non-plussed by it.

Each to their own of course but when I sit down to play a game I want to have fun doing it, I don't want to feel like I'm on a 2 week course in middle management, or like I have a second job and I have to pay for the privilege.

In all honesty I'm glad of wow, no-one can say pc gaming is dying when 9 milllion people play wow on pc. Also it helps keep the 12 year olds and the completely cack handed out of my TF2 servers - rock on wow :rock:

19. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I played it for awhile but stopped several months ago. I was a basher for the first 1-2 years it was out. All my friends played and they would stop hanging out or do ridiculous things like play when guests were at their house.

I finally said what's the big deal? and made a warlock on my friends account and next thing I know I had a 26 alt on my friend's account.

I quit playing because near end game it does become repetitive and there's a point where the time invested to have a better character trumps the skill investment. For instance to get such and such you need to farm elephant testicles for 2 hours. AT that point the joy of getting a +2more purple thingy didn't overcome the monotony of farming for materials.

all that being said I enjoyed PVP greatly and in my opinion it has developed one of the best player to player combat systems in RPG's or MMO's because of the vastly different play styles and game mechanics of the different classes. Also the combat is the right pace of frantic button mashing and timing and stratedgy. AS far as getting bored of PVP it's no different then say counter-strike or left 4 dead where you only have a few levels you play but endless variation and fun on them.

it's a good game with lots of content to explore it would literally take you days just to go and visit every dungeon once. However certain people get drawn into the grinding aspect of the MMO and lose days trying to grab that next peice of loot and in my opinion that's not a good thing

20. Cjshuck

Cjshuck What's a Dremel?

Have you tried posting this in the software section? :wallbash: