1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News "I'm Linux" ad competition launched

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Dec 2008.

1. Vash-HT

Vash-HT What's a Dremel?

No offense but this is exactly why people are put off linux. Basically if you even try to learn it you end up getting flamed for being an idiot by elitist snobby linux fanboys. That's why I gave up on it, that and I have better ways to spend my time than memorizing command lines.

@Vittorio
    I haven't reinstalled Vista once since I got it, and it's only blue screened on me once and that was caused by ATI drivers. My roommate's macbook on the other hand has been reformatted several times int he past year because he looks up too much pr0n. So much for Macs being bulletproof.

2. Vittorio

Vittorio What's a Dremel?

@Vash-HT
    Well you must have the Magic Copy of Vista. When I installed it I found it like to crash as often as possible and required regular patching. Though to be honest when I did take it apart as Part of my dissertation I did find alot of sloppy seconds in there.

As to your room mates problem then what do you expect with "Sticky Fingers" running over a keyboard.

Linux is not for Nerds its for people, everybody had to learn how to use windows from the start just the same as everybody has to learn linux. It took many years and versions of windows to get it to where it is today, so people have had time to learn something about it. The same will happen with Linux, from a Shell to a GUI. The same goes for windows from DOS to a GUI. Put a windows user in front of a computer running dos and 99% of them would not have a clue where to start.

The GUI (Graphical User Interface) is the idiots entry to computing because its as simple as putting the round peg in the round hole. Just remember its the Nerds that made this happen, that made the games you play, that made the web you browse. Without them what would you be doing now?

3. Zut

Zut What's a Dremel?

@Vittorio

Sorry but Linux is not for everyone. My mother has an Aspire One as she loves it for web browsing and such, but she's unable to do many things that she actually wants from a laptop. She can't use iTunes, she can't install her own software, she can't use many of the devices she has grown used to, and she struggles to troubleshoot basic problems that would have been doable for a non-hacker in Windows.

I love Linux and I'd never want to use anything else at work, but I honestly wouldn't recommend it as a desktop OS to anyone who doesn't have a degree in computer science. Seriously, I wouldn't.

Last edited: 22 Dec 2008
  4. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

See now your argument was fine and well reasoned till there. Honestly please, i've a mickey mouse degree from a mickey mouse uni (and its not CS) and i still do many things which aren't even possible in Windows (not easily at any rate).

I know this kind of epeen nonsense is of little reverence and Firehead is dead on but any way. I stuck Debian on my mums machine and she uses in exactly the same way as she did on windows all the same programmes she used are there basicly QVC and email not being tied to apple for her mp3 helps a lot. My Dad likes it more than Windows as it has more card games and Frozen Bobble. Her troubleshooting is also exactly the same, she phones me as soon as something goes wrong. Difference is now less things go wrong and i can ssh in and fix them when i'm away.

5. hodgy100

hodgy100 Minimodder

The GUI was a step forward in computing. Are you telling us that you want us to take a step back and return to command lines just to make linux mroe popular?

This wont happen why should people have to go out of their way when there is a perfectly suitable alternative?

6. reaper1984

reaper1984 What's a Dremel?

I really wanted to like Ubuntu, I really did. It's just that when I tried to get my laptop to run it I was met with a 46 (or so) step guide to getting my Wifi card to work. It had command console entries and everything. Now I'm not a nerd, but neither am I a complete dunce with computers. The key thing for me with Linux is the time and effort that is required to get things to work. It doesn't make sense for me to use it when Windows works out of the box, with a much larger range of software.
    If those Linux enthusiasts would only get behind one version of it, get a commercial business model behind it and make it totally accessable and (crucially) idiot proof OS then there might be a compelling reason to switch.

7. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I have a degree in computer science, it isn't even from a mickey mouse uni. I can do many things in linux, I used Gentoo for some time at home and many flavours of unix at work. I jacked it in though, windows is just too easy.

It wasn't a matter of not knowing my way around a command line, it wasn't an issue with not being able to get drivers working, it was simply a case of windows being the idiots entry to computing, as so well put by Vittorio.

Like what? Perhaps your knowledge of windows isn't quite up to par with that of linux.

I can't believe people still try to use the "windows crashes all the time" and "you have to reinstall ever two weeks" arguments. Do these people simply not know how to use it? Have they devoted so much of their time to learning linux that they have forgotten how to use windows? My current main pc has been on Vista x64 since I got it in June and has yet to crash. I have a laptop that runs XP and has done since I wiped Ubuntu from it around 3 years ago and it doesn't need a reinstall. I too must have some of the aforementioned magical copies of windows.

How's about "I'm linux, and if you aren't already in my tight circle of friends you can piss off, noob"

Last edited: 23 Dec 2008
  8. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

My day to day browsing box boots across the network as does my jukebox machine. the machines that need to be standalone run on tiny to small capacity cf cards. Only two machines in my house have mechanical hard disks my games rig and my server.

Not to mention the fact that i'm sure ever one has a properly licensed copy of windows on all of their computers.... And of course this being bit we all do have a lot of computers.

Its not a matter of forgetting how to use windows i just find less and less use for it, my windows machine loads tf2 and l4d that's about all i need it for.

9. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

sounds like HP marketing there!

"I'm a Linux AND a Windows. i use Windows for gaming and business and i use linux for fun"

besides maybe we should use pictures or women :clap: if you wanna get down and dirty you pick linux girl! if you want to have a good time use Windows Girl and if you want to have someone to look at use Mac Girl! :thumb:

EDIT:: in my head all the girls are good looking :p

10. Zut

Zut What's a Dremel?

I'm not saying you CAN'T or that you SHOULDN'T use it, just that I would not suggest to a friend that they should give Linux a try unless I knew they were very computer literate.

Its got nothing to do with e-peens, its just that Linux is a PITA when you try to change something or to deviate from the pure distro. I certainly don't use Linux for a desktop OS at home because once I get home I dont want to have to mess about, battling with my PC to get it to do what I want.

When you try something tricky and new on Windows/OSX there are maybe 100 other people who have done it before and who can explain it to you on a forum or something. When you do the same on Linux there are perhaps a couple if you are lucky (and you'll have the be VERY lucky to find people who aren't so elitist that they refuse to help newcomers), and if you're unlucky you have to try to hack it together yourself from scratch. Merging kernel patches together certainly isn't imposslbe, but its the kind of thing you could do without.

I officially gave up on Linux at home the last time I tried to upgrade my graphics driver, which took me a good solid week. Granted it was a while ago and I'm sure its a bit easier now, but theres always SOMETHING that gets in the way of actually getting what you want out of your PC.

11. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

I personally have had no issues with Vista. A Few blue screens over a years time, but all but one was during the running of a game that is no longer supported because its maker has gone under. Im a programmer too, but when I get home, I want to run my games without issues.

12. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

@Zut
    see here for a guide on how to install windows xp onto the acer using a usb key. I did it the day after i got mine.

While linux was cool and all loaded fast, did the main browsing aspect and it worked fairly well out the box, i just wouldnt be able to use it, i figured i'd need an internet connection if ever anything went wrong, or if i needed to install something as i dont know or cant remember all the bloody commands available. And i wasn't about to start learning them all either.

Yes i installed windows as its for idiots, but primarily i know how it works, it runs what i want, and i can play GAMES on it, none of this supertux or just penguin related games in general, but ive got max payne and mohaa, crazy taxi and starcraft all running off my netbook. I just cant rival that to a linux distro.

Oh and i also own the magical copy of vista, ive never had it blue screen on me, its never crashed, and the only time i reinstalled? Because i bought new hard drives and wanted to setup RAID.

Sorry linux but you're still for nerds, nerds on very high horses who laugh mercilessly at those wanting to join you on your horses.

13. Vash-HT

Vash-HT What's a Dremel?

Right, you must have a magical broken copy of Vista too, because my whole family uses it without problems as well as a good number of my friends. Oh yeah, I know how to use DOS, I started using PC's a long time before windows was around, so don['t talk to me like I'm some idiot who would be lost if I didn't have a GUI; I just recognize that a GUI is a lot easier and less time consuming to use than command lines.

14. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

wow... this thread degenerated faster than I expected :(

15. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

i agree with Zut comments,

you got to understand it from an norm user that has not got an clue about computers and just wants things to just work when plugged in

i work for my self fixing computers for most of the week, i know my way around linux but simple things are not so simple even when command line is used

not that i want to call any one, but Most users are not very bright when it comes to computers and would get very confused right away, on windows some basic things like right click gets them and the wheel on the mouse moving page up and down (these are users that have been useing them for 2-3 years)

Virus on windows are 95% user fault norm XP you can get 2 warning before doing some thing form an website(popupblocker, ask to install, some times 2 times), VIsta you can end up with 3 (UAC,popupblocker,ask to install), if users blindly just run something and ignore warnings there fault (same thing goes for search results users clicking on ), XP SP2 upwards and VIsta from the start, other % is automated problems like SQL and other holes that norm get patched up

crashing issues are norm down to drivers or an hardware problem or the user installing mallware (fake antivirus or fake errors)

i had some goes at linux and i am Not impressed on its speed it is taking to make it more simpler, i predicted that linux was going to be good some time after 2003-4 but all we realy got was an GUI installer and an add/remove on line installer system (that is good for most part)
    i was going to use linux on my server (Ubuntu i know not the best one to use most likely the worst due to no root) i had 2 Main problems (and 1 small problem that was Trashing my NTFS drives but that was the RAID PCI cards fault not linux)
    First one was remote connection sucked it was doing full page updates (Like like Vistas Crap remote desktop then you have Any thing that animates it has to Que it all up does not Skip frames (poorly made) input lag 2-15secs, XP one works fine)
    Second one that tipped me over was Samber not working as expected it would do 40-50 MB/s basic hard disk speeds then it would DIe and then go back to 40-50 agane, that made watching videos an pause fest
    last one but this was More likey an Ubuntu Problem as ubuntu has no root GUI cant be used to make partitions (last time i tried and KDE only had the option for GUI formatting, G desktop had no option for formatting)

so i gave up then and installed Server 2003 x64 and it was fully up and running in 1hr + updates (+2-3 hrs recovering 2 drives) wasted more then an day or 3 trying to make it work and has been working for the past year, its more that help was not there for Basic system commands that you do need to use and that had no examples on alot of them on linux

i not got an problem with command lines but when i need to learn the basics on how Linux programmers make commands that are overly complicated when they should not be

the command line system needs completely redoing untill thats done linux be limited to users who know how file system commands work or maybe come from uni

--------------------------- Linux will only be for users who know how to use it or realy want to and have alot of time on there hands, windows and macs are here to stay for the mass that want an pc that does what is expected it to do 99% of the time -----------------

its intresting how these type of threads end up turning into this, on topic if thay want an basic pc cheap there are options ubuntu with an HP supported printer + wireless if needed (WEP Only) + openoffice that will likey be on there so thay can do work on there
    you can most likey pick them up very cheaply and can make very good pcs for there use

mary Xmas all

16. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

Now, let the people who can actually be arsed learning tell you something. Think to yourself, what is one huge difference between your beloved Vista and Linux...figured it out yet?

LINUX IS FREE, MICROSOFT SPEND MILLION$ ON BRIBING COMPANIES TO RELEASE THEIR DRIVERS TO THEM AND ONLY TO THEM.

Come on people, Jesus, its free, it works, and if you can be arsed learning a little about computers (bit-tech users?) it has no problems. All OS's have their individual up and down sides, for Microsoft, the main downside is the price, but I don’t suppose all you nice people bitching about the unpaid Linux developers paid for your nice shiny copy of Vista now did you. :nono:

17. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

18. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

Honestly, I don't know why people complain so much about linux being so hard to learn, or that the users are as*holes.... I have come across several linux communities that are very helpful to those who are new users, as long as you aren't an annoying little twit (no offence meant to anyone). I wouldn't suggest it to anyone not willing to do a bit of research, but if you bother to look some things up when you want to do something new, you should be fine.

I use linux on my older laptop, and it runs great, hasn't crashed or had a single issue since I loaded it. then again, all I use it for is light gaming (n64 roms and such) DVD's, and web browsing.

but, neither has my Vista gaming rig, it runs great, and I haven't had an issue with that either.

19. AnotherDeveloper

AnotherDeveloper What's a Dremel?

I actually quite like this, it's very in keeping with the Linux ethos.
    While others run adverts on prime time TV, Linux creates an advert on a server.
    Why present to millions in their living rooms when you can snigger quietly to a few bitter Linux users on a tucked away server.

To be fair I get the impression that this is a serious attempt to compete with the main commercial players which I'm all for.
    Sadly I suspect this will be hijacked yet again like most well intentioned Linux projects by a few anti-Microsoft luddites who think the best comeback is "Microsh*ft is cr*p and is run by a bad man who wants to rule the world while Linux is ace and better than everything at everything and is run by nuns who want to save the world".......no, Linux is a serious and widely respected server operating system with strengths and weaknesses, not unlike Windows server.
    Desktop OS? Not quite, not yet, sadly its greatest strength which is its openness is also its greatest weakness with Linux having too many conflicting/miss matched OS components which often lead to a less coherent experience for users of the desktop OS.

Although it pains me to say it, Mac's are actually looking like the best desktop experience these days with Linux and Windows servers both being powerful and very different server platforms.
    Roll on Windows 7, please be good, please, don't make me eat my own words and move over to the Mac....
    I've always resisted the pull of the Mac but having used VMWare on a Mac to give a superb desktop experience with a great Windows development environment, it's very hard to give a good reason not to go the Mac route.
    Certainly Vista is Microsoft's new Windows Me, pretty but without substance. Mac's are now very polished desktops, Linux is a disjointed but pretty desktop experience while still being a server powerhouse (sounds very similar to Microsoft's current line-up).

20. Microslave

Microslave What's a Dremel?

The reason why Linux really can't compete

I say bravo to the ad campaign, but in the end it won't mean much at all except to those who have all day long to sit in front of a computer and play with themselves. I'm a microslave with 5 computers in my network and a life besides. I've tried to install Linux 5 different times (4 flavors of Ubuntu and 1 of snuse) without success. Your right I don't spend all day learning cryptic expressions but I've gone the distance by replacing printers that actually have Linux drivers and probably spend 40% of my reading time trying to work out the lingo so if I'm a Luser in your opinion, I'm one that has at least an open mind and a willing heart - just getting tired of beings snubbed by morons with moontans.

Tags: Add Tags