1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows How to Optimize Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheGreatSatan, 12 Dec 2008.

1. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Member for 17 years!

Control Panel - Programs & Features - On left pane click 'Turn Windows Features on or Off' - Then uncheck:

Tablet PC Components
    Remote Differential Compression
    Windows DFS - restart later

Start button - Run - type msconfig - select the StartUp tab - Uncheck all unneeded items - Click Apply

THEN

Choose the Boot tab - Select Advanced Options - Put a check in the box 'Number of Processors' - Select the pull down menu and choose the number of cores onboard (2 for dual core, 4 for Quad core)

Right Click the Start Button - select properties - Under Privacy, uncheck both boxes - click OK

Control Panel - User Accounts - 'Turn UAC on or off' - Uncheck Box - click OK - restart later

Right Click the desktop - Click Personalize - Display Settings - Advanced Settings - At the top click on the Monitor Tab - Under Refresh rate choose the highest numerical setting

Right Click 'Computer' - choose Properties - On left side choose Advanced System Settings - The Advanced Tab will be displayed, under Performance choose Settings - Under the Visual Effects Tab choose 'Custom' - Leave the first four and last four checked, all others uncheck - Click Apply....

THEN

Click the Advanced Tab - Under Virtual Memory click 'Change' - Uncheck 'Automatically manage....' - Click Custom Size - In the Initial Size block enter the amount of RAM actually present (2GB = 2048) - In the Maximum Size block enter double of the first amount (4GB = 4096) - Click 'Set', then OK

Restart

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

These don't do anything drastic. Just a little tiny bit, like new mili-seconds.
    Disabling UAC doesn't make your system faster nor more optimized. You actually reduce security. As now if you have a virus, malware, etc.. they can run as admin and perform their task.

Disabling Aero won't help, nor reduce effects. If you have anything above a Geforce FX 5900, Aero runs perfectly smoothly. And that is not hard to beat, look at the Geforce 6100.

Vista optimizes itself pretty much, that is my findings. The best speed increase would be to defrag your computer, disable services you don't use, disable devices you don't use on the BIOS (less drivers to load).

Removing Vista feature don't help a bit at Vista boot. Windows Vista Ultimate startup just has fast as Vista Basic. And your trick to remove features doesn't play in the boot. THIS IS NOT WINDOWS XP/2000!!! It's smarter!

3. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Most LCD's do only 60Hz. And if they're able to do anything else than that, it usually makes the picture like shite.

I have one exception though. I have a 15" Fujitsu Siemens LCD on my old computer, which does up to 75Hz, and you'll notice a drastical improvement in sharpness over 60Hz.

Other than that, every LCD I've seen is best at 60Hz.

4. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

The tablet PC components actually have one or two handy tools. I think the snipping tool is included in that, which I use all the time.
    And I'd definitely keep UAC on.

5. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

what does this actually do? i mean i clearly have dual core support already, and no applications or programs have any problem accessing one or both all the time, so does this accelerate boot times or what?

6. GoodBytes

You prevent Windows going "Hey CPU how many you are? 2 ok!".
    It's crap, you don't save anything during boot time (few milliseconds at best). I tried that on 6 systems running Vista, and never saw, any difference. I mean it's nice, few milliseconds saved is always nice, but it's no miracle.

7. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Excellent... :)

If you want to do a useful tweak on Vista, set up a decent-sized paging file on each physical hard drive (non-RAIDed). Vista will use the most convenient each time.

Last edited: 12 Dec 2008
  8. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Member for 17 years!

I shaved 10 seconds. Sorry, it didn't help you

9. GoodBytes

It might be a coincidence at the moment when Vista performed it's boot optimizations. I think it does it every three days.

10. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

That can have a significant effect if you've allowed various programs to add their "quickstart" or update check options. Nero, Adobe, Google Toolbar to name but three.

However, deciding what's unneeded needs a fair bit of research.

11. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I have a 20GB partition (at the 'front' of a drive) set up for 17GB of vmem. I also have a 4GB Corsair VoyagerGT as Readyboost.

12. mm vr

QFT, but that's why there are programs like Startup Inspector. It has that "Consult" thing which fetches info for all startup programs on the net.

13. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

How much difference does ready boost actually make?

14. mm vr

Apparently, what I've heard, it gives a pretty large boost.

15. GoodBytes

More RAM you have, the less the affect of Ready Boost has. (Considering that at 4-6GB of RAM, you will disable page file)
    Also faster your USB memory stick (of flash memory card) is, the more speed increase you will see.

Last edited: 25 Dec 2008
  16. Smegwarrior

Smegwarrior Fighting the war on smeg

So if I'm running 4GB of RAM I should disable the page file?

I have mine set at 6144MB at the moment.

17. GoodBytes

Well it depends... if you REALLY need the RAM, then no, don't do it, as you'll get "you are low in memory" type of error to many times. But if you don't, sure why not. If you don't know, try it, and if you need more RAM than put it back.

18. Smegwarrior

Smegwarrior Fighting the war on smeg

I don't understand what you mean.

My PC has 4GB of RAM in it now and I have the page file set to 6144MB (1.5x system RAM) and I am asking if I should just disable the page file.

19. mm vr

Yea, it depends if you should disable it. If you really need more than 4GB RAM, then no, don't do it, you'll get errors saying "you are low on memory" many times. But if you don't need >4GB, then why not disable it. If you don't know, try disabling and if you need more than 4GB, put the PF back into use.

I'd not disable it completely, some apps need it to even start. I have it at 1GB and I have 8GB of RAM.

20. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

The best Paging file size depends on you, not some rumour-mill or general-purpose figure. With cheap hard-drive space there is no slowdown from having too big a PF.

Best method I've seen. If he's wrong, there is no hope for the world.

To summarise:
    Though with cheap hard-drive space there is no slowdown from having too big a PF. If in doubt go bigger.