1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Here's My New Intel 920 cpu

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by viking88, 13 Dec 2008.

1. viking88

viking88 What's a Dremel?

Hi thought I'd upload a quick pic of the Intel i7 Core 920 I got a few days back.It's the best pic I could take that shows the type on the cpuface..I've not fitted it yet had to send the Gigabyte X58 motherboard back for a replacement.Still staying with Gigabyte thou excellent boards.I hope I upload the pic ok not very good at this forum pic uploading.here goes.[​IMG][/IMG]

2. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Haha, just got mine today as well. Hope the Gigabyte board works. :)

3. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

can you take a pic of the stock cooler? does it still use thos POS push-pins?

4. oasked

It looks just the same as the standard 775 stock cooler and does indeed use those push-pins. I'll put some pics up later today. :)

5. viking88

Thanks for the replys..Heres a pic of the cooler I got with it..I never had a core duo cpu or a 775 board so can't say if the intel standard 1366 core cooler is better or worse.It feels heavy and well built thou if that's any thing to go by.Haven't even fitted it yet waiting for a refund on a gigabyte x58 DS4 board.For £180 all you get with the DS4 is 4 yellow sata2 cables (£3 on ebay) and a stsndard backplate to stingy to even give us a lighted backplate like the Asus stiker extreme has with it.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: 14 Dec 2008
  6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's a completely different market. The DS4 is very cost down, the Asus RoG is at the other end of the market.

7. oasked

Yeah, I got the same cooler as above. Its reasonably chunky and quiet.

I got the UD5, have to say its good value compared to other X58 boards and is has some really nice features. Supposed to be a great overclocker too - although I'm not going to bother with that for a while.

Here are my pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All installed and working great so far. :)

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

god you guys are rich......

nice keyboard :)

how much did mobo+CPU+memory cost you??

Yoyo tech's "fastest" computer have 9GB RAM, but i've only seen a lot of 6GB DDR3s.

9. viking88

Hi oasked:Good to hear you got it installed and it's all working ok for you.. Very Nice pictures you took there.Looks like u had flash on?It's tricky to get the text on the cpu to be readable.I took about 30 pics from all angles before getting a readable cpu details pic.Flash kept wiping cpu text out.Without flash it's too dark/dull to read.I use a Fuji F45.Nice digi cam but the macro auto focus malfunctions alot..
    Oasked, the DS4, and the UD5 you have are more or less the same and near the same price point, would you consider your UD5 or the DS4 low end motherboards?
    What did you get in the box with your UD5 Oasked? I bet it's the same as in the DS4 box, 4 yellow sata 2 cables and standard back plate.Did you get any external USB/Firewire back plates?
    Quote from Bindi "It's a completely different market. The DS4 is very cost down""the Asus RoG is at the other end of the market" .Bindi, I don't call a £170/180 motherboard low end of the market.I think everyone who reads this comment will think £300 plus for a motherboard is way to high.A few years back when I bought my Asus M2NSLI 590 it was a top of the range board at £130 and had loads of extras in the box.I'm still using it on the desktop pc I'm typing this on..I go by price the DS4 is only £40 cheaper than the stiker was/is now.And for £170/£180 for the DS4 the makers should give a few more accessories in the box ,wasn't even a fan to fit on the heatsinks by the CPU socket for the watercooler users, like the small fan Asus give.Or even a USB/Firewire back plate.I keep mentioning Asus but I'm not an Asus fanboy..I like Gigabyte boards.Why else would I have bought a Gigabyte X58? I had a Gigabyte 939 it was very good and bullet proof came with alot of extras aswell like usb firewire and digital audio back plates.
    The Gigabyte X58 Extreme costs alot more if I'm right? than an Asus striker I'd like to know if there are less bits in the box of the Gigabyte X58 Extreme than the Striker Extremes or even other new similar priced X58 boards,I'm not going to buy 5 X58 boards just to find out! lol.
    Here's a pic of the Gigabyte x58 DS4 Box+Contents
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: 14 Dec 2008
  10. oasked

- I pretty much got the same bundle as you did, but I also got a PCI backplate for installing SATA drives outside of the case.
    The UD5 has a few more features than the DS4 and a slightly different heatsink arrangement, but as you said they are very similar.

- This is my first major system upgrade since 2005, so I wouldn't consider myself rich - hence the keyboard. :p

- The CPU, mobo, mem and hard drive came to £680.

- I used my camera phone to get the pic of the CPU, my digital camera always has trouble picking up the text on the CPU.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Any chance you could use the enter key? It's VERY difficult to read your posts :(

£180 is "budget" X58 - compare it to every other X58 board and it's the cheapest available. I've got it here and it's clearly a cost-down design. Asus RoG X58 is £350 - almost twice the price. You can only compare market to market, otherwise I would complain every board costs more than my A7V133 that I paid £115 for in 2001.

X58 development cost a lot, so companies have to charge a lot. The 590 was still K8 - so nowhere near the same cost.

Currently Im not sure what I think of the X58 DS4 I have here - the BIOS is a complete mess and nothing like P45 boards. The SATA placement is crap and the bottom x16 slots are locked to x8 - no digital switching = cost down. Reset button = cost down. heatsinks = cost down too.

12. viking88

Oasked..What's your mobile make? If it's pics are that good I may take a look at one!
    I guess your busy setting up and tweaking your DS4 and 920.

Hope it's running fast and stable for you. I'm just going to read the 920 overclocking feature on Bit techs front page, Have you read it? Hoping to pick up some good points from it.

I've always liked reading Bit tech.Never had anything intersting to post about before really.

When I got the DS4 and 920 I thought it was a good enough reason.Last cpu and board I bought was a 4200 AM2 and Asus M2NSLI. Before that was a Barton AMD. I missed out on all the Core Duo's..

I bought a B grade Asus Striker Extreme and was going to get a Q6600 but I thought what the heck may as well spend an extra 2 hundred or so and get the next 6 months latest tech.

If the 920 hadn't been marketed at a normal price point I'd stayed with a Q6600 no way was I going to pay £400 plus for a 940..

I've been reading on afew forums some people are really unhappy with themselves after spending £900 or near to on an extreme core quad and a month or 2 later the 920 arrives at £230 and is faster!.Some guy posted a sisoft sandra cpu score of 74000 on the 920 and 56000 on his previous £800 or £900 intel quad extreme.

Don't quote me on the figures it's from memory I could be wrong..Anyway good luck with your build Oasked hope you get it how you want it.

Hi Bindi, I can't comment on the Bios I never got the DS4 running, maybe Oasked could explain it to you.The 2 pci express slots locked to 8x also put me off a little but from all the reviews I've read (Not x58) the graphics speed is always the same weather x8 or x16 slots used.Real world no FPS speed hit.

I really think Bindi you have bought into the board makers sales pitch a little bit more than others will.

Well I enjoyed replying to the posts both good and not so good.I only intended to show a pic of the x58 + 920 cpu I bought. Not to get into a back and forth or make disengenuous comments..

Good luck to all fellow X58 + 920 owners.:clap:

PS Oasked when you get your system all built post a pic up so I can see what you have done.I'd be interested to see,,what case are you putting your UD5 in?..

Last quick question what speed memory is the 6GB XMs pack in your pic?

Here's the case I'm using..Got it as a B grade for £74..It was as new nothing faulty!
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 14 Dec 2008
  13. oasked

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Viking PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE learn to use the enter and space key - do NOT write one block of text because it's incredibly difficult to read! :)

Also - Gigabyte recommended to me upgrading the BIOS as soon as you get the boards - I have the latest F4a for the DS4 if you want it. I can email it to you. I used QFlash in the BIOS without issue but Gigabyte did recommend using WinFlash iirc.

Those PC65s were AWESOME. I really really want one again. I wish Lian would remake it with 12cm fans.

^^ That memory is what we use in house for our graphics rigs now - it's very nice, but we've not stressed it. We've also got DHX+ that have done nearly 1800MHz (should do more) and G.SKill HK 1600s that have done 1700, but again, we recon they should do more too.

15. oasked

Yeah I keep on thinking about getting a newer case, but I just can't justify it considering how good my current case is. Like you said, the only problem are the 80mm fans - the rest is perfect as far as I'm concerned.

The F4a bios isn't on the Gigabyte website, you wouldn't happen to have it for the UD5 would you?

16. viking88

Hi hope your setups running fast and problem free for you Oasked. :dremel: Is the 920 running as fast as you hoped/ read/thought it would be Oasked? Have you ran any sisoft sandra cpu scores? I'd be interested in what your 920 scores.

I took a look at the ram link u gave.Good price £165 for 6GB 1066 DDR3 Corsair.About £60 per 2GB,I'd say that's a fair price.I may go for the same ram.

I was planning on using 2 x 1GB of Kingston Hyper X KHX14400.Bought it for £74 off eBay about 3 months ago.Planned to use it on a Q6600.Now I have the 920 like you I will have to change I guess to a triple kit.
    Although from the web reviews I've read duel channel ram only runs slightly slower than the triple kits on X58. It was a 2GB Duel to 3GB Triple and 4GB Duel to 6GB Triple comparison review.
    Am I right that the 1066 speed ram auto overclocks on the X58 boards IE in the X58 bios you have overclock options of all the DDR3 ram speeds and you just choose the next speed up from your DDR3 speed IE run 1066 constantly at 1600..Makes it simple to run overclocked no messing with cas or voltages.I think I remember reading that on a forum.

I never got the chance to view the bios on the DS4 I had.
    I sent it back on Friday last week.I decided to read a few reviews on the MSI X58 and maybe take a chance on that.:idea:
    So right now my 920 is unused and just sat in it's box right now..

Oaskeds put a pic up of your finished setup when you have time..I will do the same when I finish my build but I won't be finishing mine now for a few weeks maybe not till beginning of Feb 09.
    Are you going to water cool your 920 Oaskeds?
    I may do my first project log here on Bit Tech of this build seeing as it will be fairly up to date parts I'm using.My typing in long posts may/will be grammatically wrong so I warn in advance..I'm no english professor.:yawn: :D

17. oasked

No watercooling here, I don't see the benefit in paying so much money when I'm not all that bothered about noise and I can't be bothered with the hassle.

I haven't overclocked at all yet, still enjoying the stock speed to be honest. I haven't bothered benching the new CPU yet, I'm not sure if I will. All I know is that GTAIV plays a lot faster now (old rig was a Opteron 165).

I can't be arsed to take a new photo (computer is in a really awkard place behind my desk), but here is what the setup looked like in 2005, when the previous gen was all new. You'll have to imagine the finished article I'm afraid. :p

[​IMG]

The blue 120mm fan (and the cooler) have gone, and the hard drives have been tidied up - all the mess is created by 2 80Gb hard drives which are now no longer in use. :)

18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

can you do a benchmark in GTA4 and tell me what CPU-usage percentage does it say? (with car density to 100)

since it says 70% on my quad core, so i want to know whether the most multi-threaded game to date will utilise more than 50% of your 8 cores.

19. viking88

Here's a quick update or not? Bought myself an Intel E7300 Core Duo for £92. I read on the forums it's a really good overclocking cpu. One of the hidden gems amoung Intels Core Duo cpu line up. I plan on using it in an Abit F-190HD micro atx board.
    I thought I'd put a quick picture up incase you wish to see what an E7300 looks like.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 26 Dec 2008
  20. oasked

Sorry for the slow response. I normally run the game at 30% traffic density, but I just tried 100% and its busy! There seems to be no noticeable drop in performance. As far as task manager showed, I was at 90% on 3 threads, and the rest were at about 20%. Don't know if that really helps you. :wallbash: