1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Read, Vote, Win - Mod of the Year 2008

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 24 Dec 2008.

1. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

do we get to see who won the prizes every 2 days?

2. acey

acey What's a Dremel?

I am anticipating for the least vote :D as usual.. lol.. Anyways, its been a fun year here

3. Anti-Hero

Anti-Hero What's a Dremel?

Hard pick, so many great mods this year!
    So I put out my vote today.
    Best luck to all you (fifteen) guys!

4. milotic858

milotic858 What's a Dremel?

...14 guys and 1 gal :)

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea, I was late publishing the first winner :blush: I had it all set out and the winner chosen, but forgot to write it.

6. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Too much cheesecake sampling?

john

7. MonkeyNutZ

MonkeyNutZ Crysis Fiend

I voted based on personal taste and the amount of work going into each mod. Even then, it was REALLY hard to choose.

8. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Seasonal greetings from Cyprus all. :) Enjoying some sun over here over the hols.
    What a year... front page article and nominated for MOTY. :D That's enough of a prize for me.

My three:

Battlestar - for the sheer amount of dedication and work that went into this mod. Respect.
    Tiny HTPC - for coming out with a mod that looks likes it's come from a production line.
    Chiarascuro - aesthetically out of this world.

Good luck all.

Stav aka Cyp.

9. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

why do we have to vote for three? i only wanted to vote for two. and why do we have to sign up for the newsletter? i read the site and the forums every day, i don't want your damn newsletter.

anyways, my three:
    1. ichessblumen. i love the heatsinks.
    2. fivewood. i love wood
    3. cheapskate. more of a 'lifetime acheivement award' vote than a vote specifically for bloo balls

deserved a vote: greensabbath. but he shouldn't be alllowed to win two years in a row, so no vote.

10. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Good luck all :D

11. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Having to register to a newsletter is total and utter BS if you ask me...

Votes and kudos to Chiaroscuro, Rogue and Apple Core Duo.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Simply unsubscribe from it afterwards. It takes all of two minutes. If you don't want to register then you don't have to vote either, it's not a compulsory roll over advert like other sites do, or a pop up asking you to register or anything and you're still free to read the site without it :p

We require registering to stop people from spamming the list like last year - so far it's worked great as we've only had legitimate entries.

13. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Ok fair enough, I'll take your word of it being easy enough to just unsubscribe. I just have terrible experiences of newsletters filling the inbox and it being next to impossible to unsub them w/o remembering a randomly generated 20-letter password.

14. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

why can't you register without signing up for the newsletter then? if you leave both the weekly and daily boxes unchecked, registration fails. it just seems like you're hoping people forget to unsubscribe, which in my mind is dishonest spammage.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's just the way the registration system works.

Like I said, you don't have to vote - it's not compulsory, it's not spammed across the site in adverts, there are no roll overs, no green plague, it's free to read and completely free to enter. We've not just got modder prizes - we celebrate the community involvement too.

The option is entirely to do so if you want.

16. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

I understand the requirement to sign up is to reduce spam entries, but why couldn't it work with either a forum account or if you didn't want a forum account signing up to the newsletter. I don't grasp why I now need two accounts to access stuff on one site, seems a tiny bit backwards.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's to do with how the site is coded - the forum (vB) db is kept entirely separately to the newsletter one. I don't know, something for security and legality - I wasn't paying attention when it was explained. We could have done what other sites did and just spammed the newsletter to everyone that signed up to the forums, but figured that was not cool.

On the contrary, not everyone wants a forum account if they sign up to just the newsletter either.

18. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

I don't appreciate having to sign up for a newsletter for a website I visit multiple times per day just so i can vote.

19. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Well, sucks to be you tbh. I signed up for the newsletter when the first one came out and tbh I find it very useful as it basically just lists all the articles/news/interesting stuff that's been published on the bit-tech site that week. I'm pretty damn sure I've had no more (and no less, tbh) spam come through on my emails.

I don't really see what the huge problem is.. it's not rocket science and you won't be put on an MI5 hitlist or anything.

20. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Hey, Supertoad! Thanks for the 'Bloo's ugly but cheapskate is an OK guy' -vote!:hehe::thumb:
    I might have less than a snowflake's chance yet...

Tags: Add Tags