1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Top 10 PC Games of the Year 2008

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 29 Dec 2008.

1. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Totally agree that L4D is the GOTY-2008.

However, dont agree with the inclusion in the Top 10 of PC games of limited activations Securom infected games: Dead Space, Warhead and FC2. Mass Effect escapes as it is now available through Steam.
    And GTA4 is a total pig to run.

Missing in the list is World of Goo.

2. naokaji

naokaji whatever

+1
    Kick out GT4, insert World of Goo.

3. ambrose

ambrose What's a Dremel?

holy hell that is some funny **** :D
    hitler cracking it at rockstar for bad port skills lol

cod 4 Cheesecake! still the only game i play lol

4. Anti-Hero

Anti-Hero What's a Dremel?

What happened to Spore?
    Not that I liked it that much, but It seemed that most people did.
    For me Stalker: Clear Sky would get a place in the top ten, but overall it seems a reasonable line-up.
    Thumbs up for (more) ground breaking games in 2009!

5. Toka

Toka Minimodder

And we have a winner :)

Grab yourself a cookie from the jar Sir!

6. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

great choices!

i would rank dead space a little higher, GTA a little (or a lot) lower, and FarCry at bottom 10. i love it, but it can get repetitive quite a bit. great story tbh and a harsh reality i can relate to. dead space was near perfect... if only i can jump.... lol

but L4D........

..... damn i need to buy it.

7. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

talk about far cry 2 being repetitive what about none stop killing of zombies in l4d that is so boring even thou valve did a great job on it. codwaw would never make my list sloppy job by treyark. my game of the year is crysis warhead and far cry 2 sits good at #5 to each his own guys

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Crysis is below Far Cry 2?? FC2 is repetitive and boring compared to the Crysis action packed levels.

GTA4 is well placed there. if it wasn't for the technical problems, i won't mind it being number 2. it was more enjoyable than Fallout 3 or Mass Effect for me.

im no RPG fan, so only played Mass Effect through once, thought it was just an average squad shooter.

L4D totally deserves the number 1 spot, well done Valve.

where's World of GOO!!!!
    shame Clear Sky didn't get into top 10, great atmosphere.

9. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Can't argue with the list, however i'd put fallout 3 number 1, the first game for a while that i've been determined to finish and enjoyed playing from the start. I've only recently purchased LFD, and although i like the idea and style of it, i'm having trouble getting into it. Maybe it just isn't my cup of tea..

Agree that Far Cry 2 looks and plays great, but is hampered by the lack of atmosphere (a game world solely populated by mercs) and the repetitive missions.

All the games picked deserve to be there though. Good choices.

10. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

My thoughts as well!

11. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

fc2 shouldn't be anywhere near the top ten its a broken irritating mess of a game.

L4D however will keep me going well into the new year and beyond I suspect. Makes you realise that although there have been lots of high profile releases this year a lot of them have been quite disappointing.

12. twentynine

twentynine Can never win...

A pretty weak year in gaming for me. Nothing I played this year really struck me as just an amazing game(I played all games in the top 10). Granted, two, L4D and Dead Space, of the top 10 aren't my cup of tea because I don't get into that genre much. The only games which I enjoyed out of the top 10 was Fallout 3 and Grid. The rest I felt could be passed over without much thought, especially WaW and FC2.

I don't know, if I wouldn't have watched my friend beat GTAIV I still wouldn't know how it ends. Although Audio Surf was a fresher experience, I still couldn't get into it.

:confused::(

Last edited: 29 Dec 2008
  13. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Tbh, i don't agree with the list at all, but then, i've only played 2 out of the 10 on the list.
    Far Cry 2 was crap, and GTA 4 put me to sleep.
    C&C Red Alert 3 would be in my top spot, but then, that would be bias, and i may as well now turn around and stand in the corner.

Still, i'm guessing this list comes from that poll we did a few weeks back yes?

Sam

14. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Timing couldn't be better with L4D being on sale on Steam for ~£20 right now (UK price).
    Nice to see AudioSurf in there too.

15. Zut

Zut What's a Dremel?

Hmmm... I like stories so I wouldn't put L4D first. I'd put Mass Effect and GTA4 abouve Fallout 3 too. I was great and all, but it lacked the soul and character of the aforementioned titles for me.

16. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

better go buy L4D, is it worth getting if ur net connection isn't really upto multiplay anymore? or would it be more fun co-op on the 360?

17. Lilliput King

Lilliput King What's a Dremel?

This list surprised me.

I expected there to be far more indie loving going on, but its very much a list of blockbusters. Where are World of Goo and Sins of a Solar Empire :(

About 2008 in general, I think its been pretty good. Not great. Not as good as we were told it was going to be, but then isn't that always the case? My problem is that this year more than ever I've found some games to just lack any kind of soul and character. Far Cry 2 and Fallout 3 are the best examples - Rubbish dialogue, wooden combat, brainless stories and a complete lack of voice talent (except for the guy playing President Eden in Fallout 3), meaning the world presented to you feels completely unbelievable. So the titles that actually provide a sense of character have really shone for me - Left 4 Dead, World of Goo, Mass Effect, even Dead Space.

Thats why this list has surprised me I guess. Games that have been hyped and reviewed highly, but havent been received well from forum chatter, have scored highly. Is it that games that are supposed to be good, are good in the eyes of the public?

Sorry. Rant over.

18. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Exactly the same here.

L4d > all (at the moment ;))

19. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

Damn right L4D! Pre-ordered it 1 month and 15 days when it released on steam.

20. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

If you wanna play L4D, PC is the way to go.

Tags: Add Tags