1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Building an IR receiver to control PC with universal Remote

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Erik, 12 Sep 2008.

1. Erik

Erik What's a Dremel?

I just want everyone to know, I am using this IR receiver with absolutely no issues in Ubuntu 8.04 with LIRC, and in Windows XP and VISTA with the last free version of Girder (I have built several of these and tested all of them on all the hardware I have). If you have a serial port this combination works great. My Vista box is not even a year old and it came with a serial port. A lot of laptops no longer have serial ports, but with newer desktops, it is hit or miss.

If this is not an option for you (no serial port) there is a link on hack-a-day (http://hackaday.com/2008/10/30/how-to-usb-remote-control-receiver/) that uses a PIC microcontroller to a PC USB port. I might build one of these as well...just to see how it works. I'll let you all know.

Erik

2. anego

anego What's a Dremel?

Hi
    erik im assembly this circuit http://hackaday.com/2008/10/30/how-to-usb-remote-control-receiver/ but I have not been able to run maybe is a pic problem or a program has a bug
    many people say the same thing the ir not work.
    would be good to open a post here to help better and try to resolve the problems of those who plan to assemble this circuit.

thx for your attention!

3. Erik

Erik What's a Dremel?

I'll give it a shot this weekend. I have all the components, I'll let you know how it goes.

Erik

4. anego

anego What's a Dremel?

okey im waiting for your project
    let me know if it worked or problems occurred with the program or circuit!

thx

5. Erik

Erik What's a Dremel?

Just a quick update...I recently updated my Ubuntu system to 8.10 from 8.04, the LIRC software and the serial IR receiver described here still work fine, with no issues. It all still works on Vista with girder.

6. anego

anego What's a Dremel?

hi again
    my circuit is working now im use a philips tv remote (rc5 comp.)
    and the port is sending data to my pc!!!!
    now im testing winlirc, pcremotecontrol, uice, girder and ir assistant.
    next im try in linux!!!!!

7. Erik

Erik What's a Dremel?

Very nice...I am going to build the USB one this weekend...I'll keep you posted.

Not going to happen this weekend...I had to crawl under the house to replace all of the insulation...I don't feel like like doing anything else.

I'll make it during the week...I have time off.

Last edited: 23 Nov 2008
  8. anego

anego What's a Dremel?

9. Erik

Erik What's a Dremel?

Very Nice!!! I never thought to add it to the USB2LCD...My USB2LCD has a clear Polycarbonate front...I could have the IR receiver near the bottom near the base and it would not be seen.

How is LIRC not working? Maybe I can help...I spent a lot of time configuring mine to get all of the buttons to work properly.

10. anego

anego What's a Dremel?

thx

hmm winlirc not working in any way
    lirc is working now in ubuntu

and add this remote receiver to your project maybe you can hide in your pc case
    the small ir receiver is black and is ugli for your clear lcd!!!!

11. Erik

Erik What's a Dremel?

I don't think I ever got WinLirc working, I used an older free version of Girder to get it working in windows. LIRC in Ubuntu was pretty easy.

Tags: