1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos WiK1d's Photos [Updated 05/04]

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by WiK1d, 27 Dec 2008.

1. WiK1d

WiK1d What's a Dremel?

Instead of creating new threads the whole time, I thought I'd keep my goodies in one thread, and just update it.

Here are some recent photos:

Some photos I did as a favour:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some architecture/building shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

A spider I caught in a box

[​IMG]

Attempted product shooting:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

A silly attempt at photoshop (I really need to go on a PS course)

[​IMG]

As always, comments are appreciated.

Last edited: 5 Apr 2009
  2. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Of the lot I like the 3rd one down.

4th one down is nice, but looks a tad underexposed to me.

I can see what drew you to the 5th shot down but if the place was as empty as it looks, I might have removed the cone on the left for full symmetry, as well as maybe going for a lower angle too.

Tnx for sharing :)

3. foxxes

foxxes What's a Dremel?

Nice detail on the spider :thumb:

4. WiK1d

WiK1d What's a Dremel?

The Snail, V2.

So we had this crazy rain shower today, I looked out the window and saw this snail. This one is even BIGGER than the first one. I decided I go catch him and bring him inside. Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

More over here

Comments please

Guest-23315 likes this.
  5. AFX

AFX "Bling" Silver Mountain 2

The detail on the snail is absolutely amazing. Great shots.

6. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

I have to ask, what's with the vignette in the group shot? I would point you to the "less is more" school of thought here. And wouldn't it have made more sense to center them in the frame instead of having the group off to the left? or is the checkered shirt and shorts (seriously who dresses him?) supposed to be in the dark?

7. WiK1d

WiK1d What's a Dremel?

Thanks!

Critique much? :p

lol, no, I appreciate it, thanks. I did all the photos of that day in Normal, B&W and Vignette, I then just decided to post one of each. But yeah, what you're saying makes sense. I'll keep it in mind.

As for the framing. That position was the only way I could get everyone in without some form of playground equipment sticking in the frame. Or is your view on the framing based on the vignette alone?

Thanks for the srsbsns. It only helps my personal growth :clap:

8. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

after 4 years as a photographer in Dubai working on a team of 6, and now as an MD and DOP of an agency and a photographer here in Johannesburg; yes I critique a lot.

The framing is what it is, off center. The vignette just makes it worse. Although, even if it were centered, the vignette is out of control. It shouldn't interfere with your subject matter, rather draw the eye away from the edges and to the center. Yours is closer to tunnel vision at 5gs. And for the future, grass is the best thing in the world if you need to clone out a distraction. I would have shot with the group centered, and removed the playground equipment in post.

9. nigelleg

nigelleg What's a Dremel?

I hate rain spiders :)

10. WiK1d

WiK1d What's a Dremel?

Oh right, wow. Awesome :D

So you suggest that I should have centered the group, and a much smaller vignette? I'll keep all of this in mind. Thanks a lot for the help :) I appreciate it.

HAHA! Why? They're harmless.

11. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Great shots mate!

I too hate spiders with all my heart... that one especially would have been paste under my foot... I dont mind the little ones really at all, its just those big ones.... eh eh eh... Around here we have these wolf spiders, those damnable things are as fast as lightning and come outta nowhere... I love the detail of your shots, everything is nice and crisp! Also, you using a lightbox for those snail/spider/product shots?

:)

12. WiK1d

WiK1d What's a Dremel?

I went to shoot some paintball today, it's a lot harder than I expected, especially if you don't want your gear to get hit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

More here

Thanks for the comment

I'm not too fond of spiders either, but if I know they aren't venomous I'll try my luck.

The Spider was shot outside in sunlight (didn't have a flash yet), the new snail was with a bounced flash and the product stuff were with a quick made paper softbox on the flash.

13. WiK1d

WiK1d What's a Dremel?

I shot some smoke the past two days (Idea stolen from whisperwolf to use for a local POTM comp :blush:), here's today's set:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And some Rorschach stuff:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

Cool shots, what did you use to generate the smoke? I used an incense stick which gives a nice steady stream of smoke, but what ever is on the spoon looks great.

15. WiK1d

WiK1d What's a Dremel?

Thanks! I also used incense sticks/cones. The thing with the spoon is it catches quite a lot of smoke in the base and then slowly releases it.

16. frojoe

frojoe What's a Dremel?

I love those smoke shots, is the color just form lighting?

17. WiK1d

WiK1d What's a Dremel?

Thanks, but no. You can probably do the lighting in a manual way, but it's easier just to do it in photoshop afterwards :)

18. WiK1d

WiK1d What's a Dremel?

Some more smoke stuff I did today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I love those smoke shots!

I was attempting something like that myself a while ago. I used a small candle (The ones that come in small aluminum cups) And put a small resistor in the wax that i ran a high current trough.

It did work TOO well, though. It quite quickly filled the room with thick, not-so-good-smelling smoke. I ended up putting the candle inside a large bottle with a hole in the top, and a straw in the bottom that i blew air trough. It worked quite well, but the smoke got pretty grainy as it had time to go cold on its way out if the bottle.

20. WiK1d

WiK1d What's a Dremel?

Thanks mate!

HAHA! Well done :p I bet it smelled pretty bad. I had the same problem with the smoke bombs, it's just tooo much smoke. I found that the incense sticks work perfectly.

So I hit MPH (South African) today, amazing as always. Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

More pics over here