1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comps sold on TV

Discussion in 'General' started by 1398342003, 30 Oct 2002.

1. 1398342003

1398342003 Ubermodder

I'm watching tv and Tiger TV is selling a computer that features the fastest Ram on the market. 333MHz :hehe: A giant 17" monitor. :hehe: :hehe: It has next year's ATA spec... ATA133 :hehe: One redeeming factor, AGP 8X compatible. Just a POS.

Sorry I find this idiot funny. "Blistering speed of the P4 2.4GHz" and "I've got no idea why anyone would want it faster than 2.4GHz" Please.

Last edited: 30 Oct 2002
  2. K

K 528491

What really makes me laugh is when someone with a 'holier than thou' attitude tries to break down some simple advertising aimed squarely at an average home consumer and ends up looking like a snob instead.

...no offense.

Someone is trying to sell a product, not to an enthusiast, but to a general, average (the key word) consumer. Done quite well I thought.

:rolleyes:

3. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

its always fun when they do those computers on there.. we used to call in and ask them all kinda technical yet basic questions they couldnt answer.. :)

-scoob8000

4. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

I'd have to side with 1398342003 on this. Shopping channels will largely employ people who can sell their products from TV. This, sadly, rarely correllates to someone who knows what they're talking about. It's largely the same across the AV/home ent./tool time slots. It's sadly obvious that they have read the spec sheet and are talking up all the features they found on it, without really having any in depth knowledge on it. And for this they feel it's appropriate to bump up the price some.

It's like PCWorld. On the tele.

5. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

just remember that if millions of people werent buying these overprivced pcs, that software developers would mostly develope for comercial applications and hardware would probably be a lot more expensive. they also offer a way for someone who knows nothing about a pc a way to get a pc. if you sat most people in front of the dabs website for instance they wouldnt have a clue about what to buy

6. bradford010

Think about the buying power that these companies have. Now how can small companies beat them hands down on price time and time again?
    The difference of course is that that little shop in every town is struggling to get by and can't afford multi-million pound advertising campaigns to publicise their sound knowledge and great service. Which ironicly is a rare find in the likes of PCWorld or Dixons.

7. Stew

Stew Disgruntled Postal Worker

If youre talking about the likes of the "presenters" on Qvc then they just tell barefaced lies.
    They make me cringe :rolleyes:

8. 1398342003

1398342003 Ubermodder

I know the average person it smart as a doornob. But this is geared towards 2002 market. Next years tech? I don't think so.

9. corvette

corvette What's a Dremel?

me confused i thought the fastes ram was ddr 400 i mean i think thats wat im runnin in my pc mabe its fake

ata 133 hasnt that been out for a while now and agp 8x wow i have 4x there really isnt much diff when u dont have a gfx card that can do 8x

10. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Corvette :eyebrow:

Hell, I don't know if you are joking, but just in case you aren't...the first post is tongue-in-cheek. Thats what the salesman was saying about the system and we all know that he was lying or not knowledgable about the subject.

Also, I hate it when companies do that...it borders on false advertisement. They need to advertise the machine for what it is, not make it seem what it isn't. It's probably a solid machine for the average consumer. Instead they are trying to trump it up into the ultimate system or some such crap and people are not going to get what they think they are getting.

11. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

:lol: I love QVC for doing that... the companies usually send some blonde in to tell us what their product does, and then their so called tech guy puts it into dumber terms. If they expect you to be buying a PCI card and install it yourself they should talk to you like a human rather than ... [insert lower life form here] ...

well.. I'm bored stupid now.. time to buy something from QVC...

12. ChriX

ChriX ^

Heh, looks like he missed the middle of the thread :hehe:

That's a good point.

13. Nedsbeds

hehe. i can remember the intel p4 advert on tv
    huh?? at least bts claims of making the internet faster are true

14. corvette

corvette What's a Dremel?

u idiots

i was jokeing bloody hell

15. Capone

Capone Banned

Hmm

Not trying to put in my 2 Cents here but thats one slow Comp they be selling. it cost them like 500 bux to make then they advertise it as the best pc ever with a 1900 or more profit on a 500 dollar pc haha. how corny

16. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

Chill out ppl :)

Back on topic, the adverts on QVC and the like are annoying, but what do you expect...the average joe doesn't no much about PCs, and the average salesman talks things up to get a sale. Result = hundreds of exaggerative, uninformed adverts, from PC World to Dixons to the shopping channel.

What annoys me more is Intels advertising. They're in the industry and their marketing department should know whats going on, yet they still mislead people with 'speed up the internet with the Intel Pentium 4' and so on..its just blatant lies. I can forgive ignorance from a salesperson who usually seels barbecues or food blenders on the TV, but not lies from a multi-million dollar corporation who should know better. Still, if it gets them sales, what does it matter to them? They don't care is they mislead the customer, they only care that he has a P4 chip in his PC. I'd like to challenge that advert though, for false advertising. Who would like to me to sue Intel because the p4 didn't make my internet any faster, despite the advert saying so? :lol:

Such is life!

:)

17. Nedsbeds

with all this talk of intel its about time someone did the obligutary "duh duh duh" pentium thing that every bloody advert has on it

18. bradford010

I believe intel's current line of advertising is..

'Can buying an Intel make your life better?

YES!!'

eerrrrrr.....
    Scuse me?

19. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

Cue sound

*everyone pauses while the sound plays*

CHING!! DUM DUM DUM DUM!!

20. bradford010

Actually, has anyone ever thought what would happen if AMD started TV advertising?
    I'm not sure they really have that big a chunk of the 'mainstream' market. Could that be changed?