1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Modding my room?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Bboy_Jon, 9 Jan 2009.

1. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

This is my bedroom it is about 12x11 (depthxwidth)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Currently I have a

Samsung Ln40A500 (40" 1080p)
    Xbox 360
    Insignia Upconverting dvd player
    Panasonic SA-HT40 receiver with the included speakers (5.1)

I plan on getting a ps3 or a stand alone dvd player. I cant really decide what to get though. As of right now I dont care for any ps3 games but eventually I am sure I will find a few and the better stand alone bd players are almost the same price :/

I have my computer hooked up to my tv for watching movies :/ and the whole setup is controlled by a Logitech Harmony 520 remote and I am going to go a buy a Logitech dinovo mini to control my compy from my couch/bed.

What can I do to make my home theater setup look nicer? Should I get a new tv stand or something? wall mount the tv?

2. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

no offence, but the colour of the walls in your room and the 'window thingy' need to be changed. cute dog though

3. icutebluezone

icutebluezone The meaning of life is to MOD

Start by cleaning your desk up. :D

4. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

you could wall mount the tv. that's always good, and change the colour of the wall

5. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Colors, window thing, maybe a cover for the couch? all things with in your decision,l your the one living in it not me. Better then my current room, if i had a choice i would have a minimalist look I like the look of the black/glass. just my two cents.

6. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Is there a budget??

If you do keep that "window" I'd add color changing LED to it just to look cool

7. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

is there any way to wire a clapper (clap on clap off) to work with standard room lights? (ie lights that do not plug into outlets, but the lights that are controlled by the switches in the room)

8. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

yeah, but i wouldn't be messing with mains power unless you're an electrician or electrical engineer (like my dad). Electricity is very unforgiving

9. ridiculous

ridiculous What's a Dremel?

lighting and what colors. Cover those glass tiles so that light isnt bothering you when you watch movies.

10. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I like the glass tiles, but a nice thick curtain would be a good idea for when it's sunny. A single curtain that opens from the right would be good i think, so it's out of the way when you open it. Black or dark grey would be a good curtain color i think.

Need a new couch cover - i'd use material of the same color as the curtain. Same color also with new cushions or cushion covers.

Personally i'd go for a different color on the walls. Perhaps a pale grey/tan color would look go well with the wooden window frame & wooden door. Even a darkish grey with a tinge of tan it would be good i think.

I agree that your tv needs a new entertainment unit. If you can't get a taller one that matches your desk, then build one. Use the same design on dark grey sides with tinted glass shelves - wood, tinted glass & paint don't cost that much = awesome unit for cheap. I'd make it taller, maybe so the top of the lcd is just below the base of the window? Experiment with heights while sitting on the couch to pick the most comfortable height. But i'd preferably either make it the exact width of the big round foot of the lcd, or i'd make it the exact width of the whole lcd, and i'd keep it as narrow as possible - as in, not sticking out from the wall as much as possible, to suit the "thinness" of the lcd. You can wall mount the lcd which is good, but it won't make a big difference as there's the unit below it and the desk besides it. The guitar amp is fine, if the pc desk wasn't there then i'd say otherwise, but no point moving the amp.

I don't like clappers that much, but remote control lights are nice. You can buy the remote control sensor, pay the fee to get an electrician to legally install it and program your logitech remote to control the lighting.

And your wiring needs cleaning up. Get some clips or twist ties or whatever stuck to the back of the desk & new entertainment unit, so that all the wires can be run neatly and pretty much out of sight.

I don't really like that square fat cat picture, but if you like it, keep it - it does need to be higher though, it shouldn't be too close to the lcd let alone behind it - it interferes way too much.

Oh, and get some sort of thin cupboard on the right of the pc desk, or make one in the same color as the desk, to put your stuff in instead of having it all over the desk. Even just a shelf or some sort of comparment stuck to the right of the desk would do actually, just to get the stuff off the desk and out of the way, leaving the desk empty = looks wayyy nicer.

11. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

Yeah, just taking my laptop off the desk is a great improvement.

The thing about the window, my room is connected to a small storage room so the window is not really connected to the outside, its connected to both rooms. The window really doesnt get any light through it and I really only use my tv at night anyways.

12. mvagusta

Not much point covering it up if you can't see it then :D

What do you think about all my other cc?

13. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

Im going to try and find a new couch cover (it actually uses just a standard twin size bed cover) I dont know what color.

I dont think I can paint my room, just too much work and I would need to take everything apart to fit it through my door... :/

I want a new tv stand its just that I dunno what I would do with my current one...no one I know really could use it. Whenever I do rearrange things I plan on tidying up the cables some more. Can anyone think of any arrangements of my room that would fit well? without losing the dresser that is...

14. mvagusta

Current tv stand can get used as shelving somewhere else, such as the storage room.

How about moving the desk all the way to the right, so the lcd can be more centered with the couch. You could get some sort of black box or a couple of those black stackable trays to use as cheap shelving, keeping all the stuff on the desk out of sight.

Shame you can't repaint :sigh: I'd still suggest a taller grey matching tv unit, and grey or dark grey/black couch & cushion covers would suit very well. When there are lots of colors in a room it looks messy and unorganized, but when there are just a few colors or less, and those few colors contrast well together, everything matches and blends together much more nicely.

15. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

Yeah I think I may move my desk to the right, only problem is my chair is so dam big! It would probably hit my tv :( I think I may try to mount my lcd on the wall to clear even more desk space. I dont think It is actually wall mountable though...I think I can take the stand off but yeah. I think I may just get a couple of these

http://www.acehardware.com/product/...t&pg=8&parentPage=search&searchId=39988213474

except more simpler, less fancy. Just a simple L bracket and mount a small shelf to hold the lcd...then again that wont really free up space since I would have that thing jetting out over the desk :/ I dunno.

Tomorrow I am picking up some speaker stands from my friend (for free)

currently this is how it looks

[​IMG]

should i bother using speaker stands?

[​IMG]

There those flimsy looking stands btw...most home theaters would have the front speakers about ear level with the center slightly higher...so I dont know if it would make too much of a difference

16. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

Ok so Ive thought about things...

I think if I keep the dresser I can do this

[​IMG]

or this

[​IMG]

With the latter one it would be nice if I could just switch everything on the opposite side, bed/couch would be flipped 180 and against the other wall, dresser and desk against the other wall etc...but my wall goes a couple feet then dips in to a lower wall which would interfere with wall mounting (which I really want to do)

So yeah, would it be better to have the couch/bed in the middle of the room or against a wall? The 2nd one actually gives more room for my dresser ( I would actually be able to open the drawers all the way)

Also, whats a good/cheap wall mount? are the walmart ones any good?

17. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

That little alcove would be good for cupboards or a good place to put your amp.

18. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

yup! I already have a shelf (well, 2 actually) that I put there last year holding some random things. But yeah, I was planning on moving the weights that I have in there somewhere else and placing my amp and pedals in there and possibly wall mounting one of my other 2 guitars (that arent in the pics)

19. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

So I moved my guitar stuff and it does clear up quite a good bit of space, well space that could be used for speaker stands atleast.

Anyways, I really felt like seeing what this could look like and so I decided to model my room in 3dsmax...i sat here for almost 3 hours straight, my wrist actually hurts, this is a first...lol. Everything is as close to scale that I could get it. The window actually is not that big and the tv is probably slightly bigger. After looking at my tv and my current setup, I think If I were to wallmount it, it would not overlap the window, but it would be VERY close to it which might look nasty...(in the renders the window is a lot bigger than it really is so keep that in mind)

Heres my current setup...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The wood on the tv stand is cherry I believe and in the renders it seems kind of nice but I am contemplating painting the wood black. Should I get a new stand? maybe something slimmer/more streamlined?

Heres basically my current layout with a few changes including the black stand

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and completely moved around. (It seems that the space between the dresser and the couch is going to be pretty tight, probably about the same as my current setup, except now, I would actually have to walk through that tight space...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you all think? Also keep in mind, i left out all of the stuff that I have around the room, including the other 2 guitars (that sit on stands on the floor) the computer, subwoofer, coffee table, dvd case and what not. I spaced all of the main furniture apart with regard to the stuff inbetween the furniture and the walls.

Maybe I could build a stand like this

[​IMG]

or should I just buy a new computer case (htpc style case) and make some smaller unit to hold all of my stuff and place it next to my desk, so its all out of the way from the tv?

Last edited: 12 Jan 2009