1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards motherboard playing up

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Fish, 23 Jan 2009.

1. Fish

Fish Resident Nob 'ed

Ok, so a few days ago my graphics card started playing up, a rainbow of colours started showing up on the screen when playing games. The screen then also started freezing along with the previous problem. Some freezes rectified themselves, others required an alt + tab and eventually some required a restart. The problem only appeared in games, I got in touch with BFG tech support and they offered to replace my card.

The next day when replying to their email my screen froze, the colours appeared and after a few seconds my GFX card cut out and the monitor wasn't getting an input. In order to tide me over until my replacement card arrived I went looking for a new one. I happened across a BFG 9800 GT OC for the bargain price of £115, got next day delivery on it etc. Today it arrived, plugged it in, and it connected my computer up and turned it on. It booted up fine, the graphics card seemed fine. Perfect, problem solved or so I thought. I went to install the drivers, put in the disc, the light on the front of my DVD drive began to flash as if it was loading, just as it sounded like it was begining to load the light turned off and all was quiet. I tried to get the drivers off the internet to find that although the light on my onboard network card was on when the cable was plugged in, I had no connection to the internet what so ever. I've looked inside, everything is connected up correctly and the DVD drive, works independently but when trying to load a disc just cuts out.

Specs:
    Motherboard: ASUS P5KC AiLifestyle Series iP35 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Energy Efficient 95W edition Socket 775 (2.40GHz) G0 Stepping L2 8MB Cache OEM Processor
    Graphics Card: was BFG 8800 OC, now BFG 9800 GT OC
    Ram: OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM XTC
    PSU: Hiper 590 Watt PSU

Everything else works fine.

My initial idea is that when the my first GFX card fried it took the mobo with it?

Or maybe it's a windows based problem that could be rectified by reinstalling?

Any idea's what's causing it? if it is the mobo i'd like a second opinion before I fork out for a new mobo.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: 24 Jan 2009
  2. Fish

Fish Resident Nob 'ed

Anyone?

3. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Could be a motherboard issue but my first port of call would be to swap a psu for a known working one.