1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Curve or G1

Discussion in 'General' started by Ramble, 27 Jan 2009.

1. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I have a mate who is soon to be expecting a new phone (for free on his contract).
    Now he has a choice between the T-Mobile G1 and a Blackberry Curve (new model I believe) - I've heard a lot of things about the G1, that's it a shoddy handset but the OS is great, full of features and more to come.
    I've heard nothing about the Curve but I expect it'll be quick and have the nessesary stuff - without some of the cooler features.

This friend uses his phone to surf the net, instant message (msn), text and call people and he is constantly checking emails.

Does anyone have experience/knowledge of either of these?

Thanks.

2. alastor

alastor Minimodder

What does he have at the moment? If he already has a Blackberry then moving to a new one will be simple as.

3. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Windows mobile phone.

4. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

It's a bit of a tricky one to be honest. It really depends on functionality: does he want the phone to be easy to use but less feature full, or rather unintuiative but able to do everything? Basically the work/home balance. For work, the BB (obviously), for home the G1. The G1 isn't all that bad, despite the negative opinion it's earned itself. It's apples and oranges, but you're best bet is to go into a T-Mobile shop and have a play with them!

Edit: if you're net surfing, you need a full screen touch. So in that respect, only the G1 will do. It's no iphone, but it's good enough and pretty quick. Blackberries are really not very good at pure Internet surfing (as opposed to closed-garden operator WAP systems)

5. Condiment

Condiment What's a Dremel?

Which means his contract is due to expire? Tell him to go to o2 and get an iPhone.

6. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

He got the Curve.
    Nice bit o' kit.

7. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Yay another BlackBerry owner :D Though why did he get a Curve when the Bold's on T-Mobile? Madness I say!

8. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Honestly I'm saddened to hear that he went from WinMo to Blackberry, I work with both all day supporting them with exchange mail services and WinMo is the nicer platform by far for mail services in that respect.

9. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

G1 Cheesecake tbh.
    I just got one and while it isn't a looker like the iPhone and the battery life sucks, everything else about it is excellent. :)

10. fev

fev Industry Fallout

The Bold has a poor battery life compared to the Curve 8900.

Your mate did the right thing, I'm getting half a day out of my G1 dev. So I still faff about with my Curve & iPhone

11. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Actually it would seem the 'poor' battery life of the Bold was fixed with a firmware update. Mine isn't as good as the Pearl, but it still only needs charging once (charging about every 7 or 8 days so far) for every 4 or 5 times my iPod Touch does (really bad considering the Bold is on 24-7 and the iPod is off most of the time).

As for WinMo. It's horrible. Really horrible. The end.

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

buy a nokia or a HTC, they are very nice phones.

13. johnmustrule

johnmustrule What's a Dremel?

I luv my g1, and when the cupcake update comes out many of the negatives will be mended. If you use a gmail account you have no option but to buy this phone, it's very integrated. I think the market could use a few good games and a few more good apps but so far this thing has made the internet available anywhere. I only wish the keyboard/screen mechanism had been designed differently, it feels like it'll break eventually.

14. Fisher.

Fisher. partially impartial

Good choice with the curve, those phones go forever on one charge. I can leave the charger at home for the weekend and still have 2/3 battery left 2 days later. My BB Storm, on the other hand...well, we won't delve too far into that.

15. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

Get my developer G1 next week :D.

16. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Seconded.
    winmo was nice for a while. but now bb has decent ssh apps, and gtalk/msn integrates VERY nicely into the contacts and all. not to mention all the crashing of winmo phones.

EDITL oh, and bold is awesome. <3