1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware BFG Tech GeForce GTX 285 OCX 1GB

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 30 Jan 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

still too expensive! i really like this card but in the current market they're going to struggle at this price point

3. Toka

Toka Minimodder

What no folding?

Impressive idle power consumption though

4. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

I know I'm being lazy in asking this rather than searching, but if I was to drop one of these in SLi with a GTX 280, would I end up with the performance of 280 + 285-scaled-down-to-match-280 or would it be 280 + 285?

5. Denithor

Denithor What's a Dremel?

Toka +1

You mention F@H in many of your GPU articles but never give any comparitive results. C'mon, guys...

Chaos - You cannot SLI 280/285 cards - SLI only works for identical model cards.

6. Denithor

I also notice that Cat 9.1 still hasn't fixed the CF scaling problem in COD:WaW. What did AMD do, fall asleep at the wheel?

7. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

Another thing to note is that Folding at home pushes the GPU temps way past what you'll see from an extended gaming session and would be a good consistent method of really testing a cards cooling ability.

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

We're still gathering data... it's not something that happens overnight when you're talking about 15 different configurations and working out how to get reliable data. And in the meantime while that's going on in the background, we can't just stop writing reviews. It's something that will be a part of our next graphics performance update series, where we re-test everything, add new benchmarks/applications and update drivers/apps/etc.

9. Undercloacker

Undercloacker AirFlow

I bought mine 379 USD in release offer.
    ATM im in love with my SLi OCX im pulling FPS everywhere hehehe
    if u get a nice offer is totally worth it

10. Nicb

Nicb Let's discuss among ourselves

I'll be skipping it for the 295 or beyond when its time for me.

Got a question. I never see any reviews for the XFX Black Editions. Why not?

Always been interested in buying one but never see reviews anywhere.

11. Undercloacker

Undercloacker AirFlow

AHHH!!! I forgot!!! BFG F-T-W Cuz of the Step-Up Program hahaha! im getting myself the next gen in some months :)

12. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Are they taking with this price?

£367 for a single card?! You can get a HD4870X2 for less than this!

13. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

way way too expensive. I bought a 260 BlackEdition from XFX for like £220, and it rocks in the games I play at 1920x1200 on a 24" screen.

£367 seems like way too much... but then again if you are buying a 30" screen to game on... its pocket change LOL!

14. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

nice card, but with gtx260+ so close, only the richest is going to buy this.

just like 8800GTX to 8800Ultra, not many people bought the Ultra

15. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

how much!!?! i've gone right off gaming lately and hardware at these prices dont help much, my 8800gt wil live on a bit longer

16. Denithor

Hey - thanks much for the answer - that does make sense, I'm just impatient I suppose. At least now that you can run ATi & nV cards on the same system (thank god) we can have a direct comparison of power consumption.

I asked in another thread but didn't see a response - could you come up with a composite score for performance of each card and then divide by PC@load & provide a perf/watt chart? That could be very useful.

Also - I'd love to see how a 9800GX2 stacks up against these newer GT200 cards, especially at the higher resolutions. And in F@H.

/big grin
    /wave

17. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I think they stopped comparing these cards with the 9800GX2 was because of the discontinuation of Drivers, and the fact that 9800GX2 still has problems with newer games.

18. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

why users say its not supported is far gone there the card is an 9800 card (the 6200 is still supported) so drivers will support that card for an long time the 9800GX2 in my pc right now works perfectly well i allso have an gtx280 that is awaiting to replace it that is far more powerfull then it

only thing stopping me getting ATI cards is that cant trust drivers takes 3 months for them to fix problems with games (3 driver rels)

Folding@home takes at best 4-7 mins per card to test, but getting the same work unit per card can be resoved by just copying the working folder so when new card is in overwrite it and you do not even need to install it as you can run it from GPU2 console client (ati and nvidia use dif work units)

19. digitalrurouni

digitalrurouni What's a Dremel?

I am the proud owner of a pair of Ultras in SLI and honestly there are only 2 games Crysis and Warhead that i have not been able to play at 2560 x 1600 with every setting maxed out. Yes they were expensive when they came out I remember paying 600 a pop for them but they have served me quite well for over a year and I dont really feel the need to upgrade until at least the 40 nm processes are mature.

Tags: Add Tags