1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice new power supply

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Funky.FRESH, 30 Jan 2009.

1. Funky.FRESH

Funky.FRESH What's a Dremel?

hi, ok i posted a thread in the tech section about checking my psu to see if its dead and i have since discovered that its kaput!!

i now need a new psu so im after some advice, it needs to be around 500W and reliable!! i really like seasonic and ive heard they are one of the best psu builders but they are expensive. iknow seasonic oem for some brands but i dont know which ones, if anyone knows can they let me know so i can look at buying one of these, i will research what i can in the mean time,

2. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

Corsair HX520 for a modular, or VX550 for non modular.

3. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

+1

The Corsair HX520W (and HX620W) was originally built by Seasonic and might still be. I have it, and it's the best PSU I've ever owned.

4. nigelleg

nigelleg What's a Dremel?

+2

Corsair really is a great power supply DaveVader is spot on just shop for the best price but I think if you can the HX modular is so nice when you want to neaten your cables and remove clutter etc

5. Funky.FRESH

not really fussy about modular cables, just need thepsu to do its job. ive been looking at these silver power ones. i've read that they have models built by seasonic and the price isnt bad also in comparision to the corsair, im going to look into it abit more today and make a choice

6. Funky.FRESH

decided to go for the silverpower, its built by seasonic and also cheaper than both corsair and seasonics models, specs are very simular and not only that but they offer a 48hr pickup service if the power supply fails, so my guess is they must be confident in the product. mite post some pics when it arrives, thanks for the help!

7. Yourcomputer

Yourcomputer What's a Dremel?

I know its too late, but I really like my Antec Neo-power 500w. Nice clean power, its modular, and have had no problems what-so-ever with it.

Seems everybody recommends Corsair's, and forget to mention there are many other options that are just as good. Don't get me wrong, corsair has one helluva power supply and are top notch, but they aren't alone.

pimonserry likes this.
  8. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Many Antec PSUs (Neo Power and others) are built by Seasonic, if I recall correctly. It's just that the ones Seasonic built for Corsair seem to be a bit better than most of the other models.

9. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

Which silverpower? I don't think they have anything made by seasonic; I know there's a couple of topower (blah) builds, a couple of DEER built units, and various other ones.

If it's the Blue Lightning 600w, I'd take it right back and get the Corsair; it's known to be good, and you can be guaranteed an excellent psu.

10. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

+1 for corsair 520hx or 620hx