1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 7 Public Beta News

Discussion in 'Software' started by icutebluezone, 8 Jan 2009.

1. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Anybody had any issues with steam? I tried to play left4dead, but it wants me to update. The update is going really slowly and keeps on restarting. I just wanna kill some zombies!

Edit: updated, and now I can't launch it unless I disable a monitor. Otherwise, it just makes the screen flicker, then switches the taskbar from one screen to the other.

Last edited: 25 Jan 2009
  2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Send feedback to MS and Valve. Pray. [Hopefully] Play. ;)

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Sending feedback is important... if 1 person reports than probably Microsoft won't look into it as it might be a alone case... but when several does... then it gets interesting.

4. Angleus

Angleus What's a Dremel?

OMG I love you, Im such an idiot, cheers for that :thumb:

5. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

I've sent feedback for that (and a couple other things) but I'll try a different driver tomorrow, see if it's that.

6. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Managed to install this on my Other half's aging laptop yesterday.
    Couldn't for the life of me find any vista drivers for her Intel Pro wireless 2200B/G card, so We've had to use her even older Netgear PCMCIA card.

Managed to crowbar in some XP drivers for the 915GM Graphics and sound. Chipset drivers are for Vista, but didn't have a graphics portion.

Then we had the fun with SQL Server Express 2008, but that's another story...

7. perplekks45

Why did you install the XP drivers for the 915GM? Just let 7 sort it out. That's what I did and I haven't had a single BSOD, freeze or anything else that's not related to having just 512MB RAM.

I run utorrent, FF, Chrome, iTunes, Winamp and Skype without any problems and without trying to find any driver on the internet. Even the little volume and Wlan buttons on the laptop work without the stupid HP software. Battery status gets displayed perfectly w/o the HP software... I'm a fan. :)

8. badders

7 didn't come with any, the memory controller bus and chipset weren't recognised properly.
    had to smash in those drivers to get anything else to work.

9. perplekks45

That's weird... 7 came with a couple of drivers for me:

[​IMG]

10. badders

Is that 32 or 64 bit?

11. perplekks45

32 bit. Sorry if you're using 64 bit, can't really say anything about that.

12. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

It has nothing to do with Windows... If 64-bit drivers exists and sent out to Microsoft, passed Microsoft testing, then it is available in Windows Update.
    The 32-bit Windows gets a little advantage as it can take some XP for peripherals and some devices that the company decided to support for the newer version of the OS, probably because it is easy to implement.
    Meaning, if you have new hardware Windows Update should (if not now: due to some issues with the drivers or in beta stages, it will be the case when or shortly after Windows 7 is released) have all the drivers of your system (or unless you use special hardware, or specific to OEM hardware and drivers, of course) on Windows Update no mater which version of Windows 7 on a new Vista ready system.

13. badders

Hmmm, odd. I'm using 32-bit too.
    It's strange that your bits were picked up by windows update, but not mine.

I might try uninstalling the network drivers for the LAN and built-in wireless, and see if Windows picks up its own via windows update.

14. perplekks45

It didn't do it straight away. The first time it just found the Defender and the KB961367 update. When I turned on my computer later it found all the updates for my hardware. The touchpad driver failed to download the first time so I did it the next day. Weird it's not showing it in the list.

There are still 2 drivers to be installed: Mass Storage Controller and PCI Modem, but 7 seems to be unable to find drivers for that. And as I don't need the modem and the controller [does what exactly?] seems to be pretty much useless as far as I can tell I won't force a driver install. My 7 is as stable as it could be and I want it to stay that way. ;)

15. badders

I've got a Mass Storage controller missing on mine too, though I think it's the Built-in Card Reader.

16. perplekks45

That's what I thought after a quick Google visit. :)

So, screw that, no need for either. Windows Update seems to work just fine for me. Finally. I remember trying to use it on Vista... yeah, right.

17. Angleus

Angleus What's a Dremel?

4OD doesn't work :(

18. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

found a new feature today: windows finally obeys the convention that files starting with a . are hidden, and doesn't kick up a fuss when you try to rename a file to .something :clap:

19. Doc

Doc oops.

Well looks promising. I had it on my laptop for a entire 45 minutes until I found out Quickbooks won't run at all. Well, there's always RC1 ;)

20. perplekks45

So far I got everything I need to run fine on it. Skype [beta], Chrome, FF [beta], iTunes, uTorrent, Videora Convert to iPod Touch, VLC, MPCHC + CoreAVC, ...

I'm still happy. :)