1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Advice/Opinions on Home Theatre

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by klutch4891, 3 Feb 2009.

1. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

Ok so first off this is going to go in my bedroom and my dormroom in August when I go to college. I need a new TV and surround sound because mine bit the dust recently and I was looking at something along these lines. I will have my computer, PS2 and Xbox plugged into it as well as the cable.

TV: Samsung LN32A450 32"

Reciever: Yamaha RX-V663 OR Onkyo TX-SR506 (but in black)

Subwoofer: Polk Audio PSW10

Remote: Logitech Harmony 720

But I have a few questions. First off, my current speakers are old junky ones with 20 or 22 gauge wire on them, will wires that small work with nested clips? Secondly, my cable just comes through a Coaxial cable at the moment, is it possible to plug that into the TV and then an S/PDIF out to the reciever (to get the cable sound on surround sound too? And last, does anyone have any of these items and are happy/unhappy with them?

2. Wopsh

Wopsh Don't own a Dremel :(

I have a slightly older Samsung 32" with the same resolution. It nice image quality clean sound output and a fairy nice remote. If you want to use it as a monitor be warned that mine would not take pc input except through vga (no pc input through HDMI no blue ray through pc) so if you want that make sure it will work on the newer model. Mine can be made to output sound to an amp/receiver through rca plugs from whatever A/V input its set to. 1366 x 768 is a bit cramped for pc usage IMO so I would consider getting a 1920 x1080 tv (doable at about that price). For your consideration at 750$ up from 600$ is a similar 32 Samsung but with 1920x1080.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889102221

3. klutch4891

I was considering the 550 series but I didn't think I would be able to tell the difference in res. from like 9 or 10 feet away. And I was planning on using a DVI-HDMI cable to the receiver and then an HDMI from the receiver to the TV.

4. klutch4891

Nobody? My main concern is whether thin (20 or 22 gauge) speaker wire fits in nested clips such as the clips shown in the picture here

Last edited: 5 Feb 2009
  5. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

First point - why spend all that money on sound equipment and not buy some proper speakers for it? Seems a huge waste. Any sort of wire works with those clips. I've got a Yamaha amp and use it with some speakers on bell wire for the second channel into the kitchen, works great.

I love my Yamaha amp, though I have heard good things about the Onkyo. But again - what speakers are you using? What are they rated at? (should say on the back)

As for the TV, if you look on the connections photo it's got optical out, and co-ax, and you should be able to pipe HDMI out as well, plenty of options!

RwD

6. klutch4891

I do plan on getting new speakers eventually, I just need to save up for awhile before I can get them. My current speakers are rated at....they're so bad they don't even say. Theyre pretty bad, they were cheap a few years ago and came with an HTIB my parents passed on to me.

At the moment I was looking at eventually getting these speakers:
    Front: Polk Audio Monitor 40
    Center: Polk Audio CSR
    Side: Polk Audio OWM 3

Thanks a ton for the help, I didn't want to buy a receiver only to still not have any sound until I bought new speakers too.