1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice First Time Builder Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zuzu41, 23 Jan 2009.

1. zuzu41

zuzu41 What's a Dremel?

OK. So, I may have made a mistake. I went ahead and ordered my components from Newegg but I made a few last minute changes based on reviews of the products without consulting you guys and now I'm worried. Here's what I ordered.

CPU: Intel Core i7 920
    MB: Asus P6t6 revolution
    RAM: Corsair XMS3 (3X2GB) DDR3
    GPU: EVGA GTX 285
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB
    Heatsink/Fan: Noctua NH-C12P plus Core i7 Mounting Kit
    ODD: Lite-On 22x sata
    PSU: Zalman ZM850W-HP 850W
    Case: Lian-Li PC-K7B
    Monitor: ASUS VH226H 1920x1080 21.5"

My main concern is the motherboard. Is this motherboard overkill? Should I stick with the gigabyte ud4p or maybe a p6t deluxe? I don't think I will ever do tri-sli but I will eventually do the dual setup and would like to dabble in overclocking. Also, could someone explain to me my expansion card options with a dual gpu setup on the p6t6? What future options will I have such as adding a sound card or NIC? Let me know if you see anything else wrong. Any input would be great.

By the way, Newegg said they would refund me for the p6t6 as long as its not opened.

Thanks

2. Undercloacker

Undercloacker AirFlow

Well the p6t6 in Newegg is 370 USD
    If i were u, i would go for a nice and pritty GA-EX58-Extreme
    Has more features, IMO better build, and tri SLI for any future preference and you can also mention its 40USD cheaper :p

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Oh boy!
    Well you got the RAM and OS right...
    Nha, I am kidding with you. Everything is fine, but I agree with Undercloacker.

And of course, I can't comment on the LCD, because we have all different priorities.
    Also, I can't comment on the PSU because I didn't read any reviews on it or know anyone from my surrounding with it.

4. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Cool, you went with what I recommended. :thumb:

There are a few PCI-E sound cards around, such as the Asus Xonar or the Creative X-Fi, and there are quite a few PCI-E NICs around. You'll have no problem expanding... With six PCI-E slots, you'll be just fine for quite a while. Two or even three for graphics, one for a sound card, and two for whatever you'll need to expand to in the future.

The P6T6 supports three-way x16 SLI, but only with no other add-on cards.

This will be a very solid PC, and unless if Intel screws something up, you'll be good for a while.

Last edited: 5 Feb 2009
  5. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

The nice thing about PCI-Express is that it's modular - cards that are designed to use PCI-Express x1, for example, are (theoretically) able to work in PCI-Ex1, PCI-Ex4, or PCI-Ex16 motherboard slots. So as long as you get PCI-Express sound cards/NICs/whatever else, they'll work fine.

Advantages:
    - Tri-SLI is true x16/x16/x16, which means no bandwidth bottlenecks anywhere on the whole setup.
    - Rock-solid stability.

Disadvantages:
    - Maybe a bit of overkill.
    - Expansion slots are set up so that if you do decide to go Tri-SLI and don't watercool, all slots are blocked. (Dual-SLI plus sound card will work fine no matter what).

Oh, and there's currently a known issue with the board where you can only have two expansion cards inserted at any time. Should be fixed with a BIOS update sometime soon, though.

Do what you will with that information.

- Diosjenin -