1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fresh Install on Internal HDD

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by tribalman, 8 Feb 2009.

1. tribalman

tribalman What's a Dremel?

I have a Compaq v5000 laptop.the only thing i have done to it is upgrade the ram to 1.25GB and a bigger HDD. I still have the 30 GB that shipped with the drive but i don't use it because it is XP home with a bunch of extra usless programs. I got sick of it so i got a 120 GB sata laptop drive. a while ago i wanted to put a clean install of XP Pro on the drive but the windows install can't find the drive. even with the stock drive, it doesn't find the drive. I finally just decided to put linux on the 120 and use it like that. while that was fine for doing school work and having a lightweight system around for doing most tasks it worked great.
    i want to install vista windows 7 on either of my laptop drives but they still don't recognize the hard drive if they are installed inside the case. i have a usb drive that is recognized by XP installer, but i don't want to use an operating system across usb. i have upgraded the bios, i have tried bios settings but windows installer won't see the drive. is there anything i can do? there isn't a boot or driver CD, all that is kept on the 2nd partition of the initial drive by compaq/HP. thank you for your help.

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

with XP, try having a drivers for your disk controller on a floppy and press F8 when prompted to and install a driver at install. Is the original small drive SATA as well? If so, WinXP may not see them at install unless you have a driver floppy ready.

Can the BIOS see them?

Vista shouldn't have that problem however, so if it's Vista you're installing, I'm baffled, especially if the BIOS can see the drives.

Last edited: 8 Feb 2009
  3. tribalman

tribalman What's a Dremel?

yes, 2 of the 3 drives are SATA, the 30 GB that came with the computer and the 120 GB i bought later. the 3rd drive is IEDE and is a USB drive. i will try the floppy drive as soon as i can find a removable or USB floppy drive. thank you.