1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Issues with shutting down computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shaile, 11 Feb 2009.

1. shaile

shaile Go BIG or GO HOME

I just built a new system on the i7 core platform. This is a rundown of what I used:

Asus P6T Deluxe MB
    i7 core 920
    Intel x25-M 80 GB HD
    EVGA 260+
    Corsair Dominator 1600 memory 6GB
    Corsair 1000HX
    Windows Vista 64 bit
    Noctua dual fan CPU cooler

Everything went smooth on the build and Windows install. Did all drives last night and shut down the system.

When I got up this morning, I started it up and ran through some settings for the SDD. When I went to shut it down, it wouldn't shut completely down. The monitor would no longer recognize there was an active signal, but the MB would not power down.

I am kind of at a loss for ideas as what the problem might be. I haven't done any BIOS changes other than reorder the boot preferences. My next idea is to clear the BIOS and see if that makes any changes.

Another thing that is more annoying than anything is the error messages at post from what I believe is the non used SAS controller. Would disabling the controller make that go away or do I just have to deal with it telling me no drive was found?

2. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

I have a very similar setup, same CP and don't have any issues. What type of vista install did you use? OEM? MSDN? Retail? 'BitTorrent'? And was it a nice clean install?

Mine's using Vista Ulitimate, a legit copy from an action pack subscription and it works a treat.

Unless there is something hardware related ie the link from MB to PSU then I'd say it's likely an OS issue.

Jen

3. shaile

shaile Go BIG or GO HOME

I'm muy estupido. I have never used Vista and was not paying attention to the subtle difference in shutting down completely.

I didn't notice that clicking the 'power button' was basically putting the computer in sleep mode.

My only issue is really the sas error at post. And I guess that is really more of a warning than error.

Again, sorry for the dumb question.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You can change the power button in the power option panel which is found in the control Panel.

5. shaile

shaile Go BIG or GO HOME

Thanks, I will have to look into that. I think I figured out the other issue. I just went ahead and disabled the Marvell controller altogether.

6. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

Start button to shut down and power button to sleep/hibernate...:hehe: what next?

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Because Windows is slow to startup (maybe not Win95 on our systems), Microsoft suggest to sleep the computer rather then shut-it down. When you sleep the computer, only the RAM has power to keep the data in. In result, if you don't use your computer over night, but hate the slow boot process, you can just sleep the computer. Save A LOT of power over the year.

Also, great for laptops, when you want to temporarily shut-down to move somewhere else (class-room, another place) etc... When you have a good laptop (1.5k Can and over), there is no down side in doing it. It won't wake up stupidly, nor cause any issues due to short battery life, as battery life would be 5hours + with the small battery on such machine (mines 9hours with the 9 cell).

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Rip the power cable out the wall, there problem solved! lol!

9. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Check the BIOS.
    If there's a 'sleep state' setting, set it to S3.
    S1 is Power On Suspend, which still draws ~50% power I believe (hard drives keep spinning, and I believe motherboard is still powered).
    S3 is Suspend To RAM, which means the only power being drawn is a trickle to stop the RAM powering down.
    As such, my PC draws 6W in S3 state, and it draws 3W when completely off, so S3 state only uses 3W more than normal (that means 167hrs to make 1kWH, or about 7 days, so it's hardly expensive ;)). Not to mention, S3 boots up at the same speed at S1 (that is, less than 3 seconds for me (including screen wake-up time)).
    Just for extra info, the S5 state is completely off.