1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress StackArt

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by fflow, 10 Dec 2007.

1. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Tell me about cork blocks (or is corc a brand?) and brushing aluminum, my friend, cause that is some nicely brushed aluminum you have there. It looks great with the Plexi as well, especially those through holes for tubing. It will look wild once you have the tubing filled (colored, I assume?)
    The fan mounting plate (well, all the pieces actually) look great! :thumb:

2. InferiorPlanets

InferiorPlanets Worshiping the SilverStonehenge™

I love how you hide the light sources! It's very classy in the way it makes you look at the mods you've made instead of ruining the whole look by seeing some company's manufactured lights.

I hope you're going to work out a way to keep the light from bleeding around the edges of the aluminum on the interior like you're going to be doing with the ccfl ends on the HDD rack.

3. fflow

fflow What's a Dremel?

Many thanks :D

Cork is the material it is made from and it is a sanding block to which you staple the sandingpaper.
    [​IMG]
    First I used cheap grid 100 sanding paper but this left the glue on the alu. Now I use a bit more expensive 80 grid which leaves no residue. What I basicly do is sand until all the shine is gone, always in the same direction. To finish I take the sanding block a few time from top til bottom in a single motion using to hands to go really straight. And most important, I dont stop until I'm happy with the result.

The water will be coloured, thinking of steelblue

[​IMG]
    But first I want to see a real red, not the uv pink like the middle or the 'yellow'.

Next part will probably be the top of the case where the power button and rheobus are going.

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Like the blue. Also, nice little guide to brush aluminium.

5. JBLPL

JBLPL What's a Dremel?

What about red? Could be a nice contrast.

6. Bullitdodger

Bullitdodger If it ain't broke....Tweak it.

If you read his last post, then you'll find the answer to that....:thumb:

7. ModMinded

Thanks for the answer regarding the cork blocks. For some reason I thought you were using cork by itself in some technique I had yet to hear about! :lol: Your explanation of your brushing technique is great too!
    I like the bloo! Is it just my colorblindness or are both of the ones on the left the same? Which one's the steel blue?

8. fflow

fflow What's a Dremel?

lol, that would be great, using the actual cork.

Stupid me, there is no middle one with four :blush: The blue are the two on the left, steelblue is the name on the syringe. The most right is uv yellow, looks more like green. The other is uv red, almost pink.

Mayby you people can help.
    I ordered a thread making set with a 1/4 tap in it to make threads for the 1/4" fitting. But the 1/4NF28 tap is way to small. The 1/8NF2C tap has the same size as the fitting, haven't tried it yet.
    Where do I go wrong? I thought 1/4 tap would be right for 1/4" fitting.

9. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I like the Blue ;).

10. fflow

fflow What's a Dremel?

Update number 11

Because the psu wouldn't go into the case via the back I had to come up with another solution. The solution solved two things at once because the standard fan hole is gone as well.

[​IMG]
    The standard fan hole.

[​IMG]
    Now it is gone :D

[​IMG]
    Using this home made bracket it is actual possible to mount the psu.

[​IMG]
    the psu goes in true the top. It is slightly offset to have some extra space to the right.

Next step was to close the hole again, all that ghetto modding must be hidden in this build.

[​IMG]
    Started with a plexi piece. Introducing a new coulor at the same time. I will cut some more out of the middle, like this it is a waste of material.

[​IMG]
    And topped it with alu, brushed.

Probably the holes got you thinking. They are there because incorporated in the top will be a rheobus extreme and the power and reset button. With the rheobus the lightning in different groups, the fans and the pump can be dimmed. With 30 watt per channel the pump of 18 watt shouldn't be a problem.

[​IMG]
    How it looks out of the box.

[​IMG]
    Offcourse I wouldn't use the original housing. Made two alu brackets for attachment.

[​IMG]
    Rheobus mounted with the power and reset buttons. The rheobus needs new buttons but I have to find some nice ones.

[​IMG]
    In different lightning.

[​IMG]
    How it looks underneath the 'hood'. Probably need to bend the connectors for better clearing and connecting.

The rheobus uses leds to indicate how much voltage each channel is giving. Not my kind of solution so I made this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Also lit with a ccfl. Got thing I got a decent fancontroller for all the ccfls going into this case, 11 and it is not done yet.

Also got the "blood red" water colour. Next to the blue it looks like this.
    [​IMG]

The picture is not as vibrant as the previous water pic but the red is a good red. Nonetheless I will go with a blue water coulour, just because I like it better. For determining which colour to go with I had the hdd cage with a ccfl setup next to the blue water and because of the yellow light it actual turns green. But with a little white light it turns back to blue so it will be a very local phenomenon.

How do you like the red plexi at the top?
    I was planning on using a little more red in the front of the case next to a dominating yellow.

Last edited: 11 Feb 2009
  11. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

I like what I'm seeing, love it actually :) The rheobus and the gauges are a great addition to the case.

12. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

looking really good fflow !

but aren't those gauges upside down ?

maybe you should put some ccfl or leds under the red plexi ?

13. b00mb1ast3r

b00mb1ast3r Testdrive unlimited LoVeR

Beautiful, just Beautiful!
    keep up your doing great!

14. fflow

fflow What's a Dremel?

Thanks.

The meters are indeed up side down and will need a new index. They had to be turned up side down because it is bigger than the actual screen and because of that turned up side up they would be to high to look nice.

[​IMG]

The red doesn't light up even with a ccfl stuck to it. I think its to much material, maybe when I shave it down some more.

15. Reverse

Reverse Reverse/srvR

wow, i like where this is going.
    love the meters

16. Azza1

Azza1 What's a Dremel?

Man i wish i had space and money to do this sort of thing...really, it gets me down lol.

17. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

man i love the idea of the meters being actual and using the fan voltage to show
    that just rocks!!!!!
    dont forget to have your jacobs ladder in a glass tube
    and some transformers
    some gears in there somewhere would look good as well
    if not just to add to the art deco feeling of this mod

18. ModMinded

I'm LOVING the bank of volt gauges/meters as well! Especially with the backlighting. :thumb: I looked at some in an autoparts store a while back, but they all went up to 15, rather than 12V, and I wasn't going to be going that high! (I wanted the appearance of approaching redlining at 12v. :D
    That layer of plexi under the alu looks good. I'm not sure if you should have too many different colors of plexi, but that's a personal aesthetic choice, and I think it looks great. Some new knobs for the rheobus.
    Can you show us what the different colored fluids look like under the appropriate lighting? I always prefer blue, but it looks like anything can go with that case!

Edit, sorry... I don't know what to tell you about your tapping question.

"Mayby you people can help.
    I ordered a thread making set with a 1/4 tap in it to make threads for the 1/4" fitting. But the 1/4NF28 tap is way to small. The 1/8NF2C tap has the same size as the fitting, haven't tried it yet.
    Where do I go wrong? I thought 1/4 tap would be right for 1/4" fitting. "

There might be different threading (coarse/fine) but the diameter should still be the same. This link suggests that the NF and NC designations you mentioned refer to the threading...

Last edited: 17 Feb 2009
  19. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

That new top I/O panell looks sweet mate. Love the volt meters.

20. Attila

Attila still thinking....

What he said ^ That top panel is gorgeous!