1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Random adventures of a spanner! (Pic heavy!)

Discussion in 'General' started by grungedead, 3 Aug 2008.

1. PHILIP1193

PHILIP1193 a Self Confessed HP Server Lover!!

hi mate,

yes i am indeed on club polo and uk polos.net :D. No nessarily near hodnet but about 15 miles away (takes more time than distance really).

TBH i always find UD has just as many nice cars on the outside as in lol. UK-polos and club polo always try to get a stand so if you want a spot i'd advise you post quickly.

When you hoping to do some more work on it, really enjoyed reading the build thread :)

Phil

2. grungedead

grungedead Minimodder

Well this has been taking up most of my time lately :lol:

Model:

1989 Coupe S

Engine:

1272cc 8v - MH

Suspension:

Standard Shocks \ Springs
    Wiechers TCA Brace

Brakes:

239mm Discs w/ VW1 Calipers + Std Rear Drums

Wheels and Tyres:

14 x 7 OZ Routes + 195/45/14 Pirelli's

Exterior Styling:

Homebrew Rear Light Tints similar to Late Mk3 Spec
    Removed Rub Strips
    Remus Exhaust

Interior Styling:

Schroth Harnesses with Safety Devices Pre-Tensioners
    Black Seats with Yellow Checkers

ICE and Security:

Cat 2 Alarm / Immobiiser, ICE used to be my ipod now I've upgraded to a donated mp3 from a mate and two poop std rear speakers =D

Comments:

Bought this car off Lucy as a daily runaboutu while i finished the engine conversion on my previous daily which failed on me =[ . The car was previously owned by Manked Out now Blug on the forums, a good friend of mine and he was pleased to see the car coming back to manchester. Previous owner to that was a gentleman named Ade, who now has a scooby powered T4 bus =D

Anyway the little Coupe S is on 115k, The Car runs sweet as a nut, as was absolutely faultless bar misfiring and loss of power on sporadic random occasions. I decided the best course of action was a mini service, new Spark Plugs / Leads / Oil Change / Oil & Air Filter, still didnt solve it. So next step was to rule out the Hall Sender. Got a known working MH dizzy off Manked Out and still the misfire would rear its head. I could always get to my destination as 2 minutes idle time and we were good to go again.

After taking the airbox off, we cleaned out the oil breather pod, replaced a few vacuums and reinstalled the previously missing exhaust heatsheild, as the current ducting just wasnt feeding enough warm air into the carb. After getting the heatsheield on thanks to Karl all is good, its a mk1 polo one at the moment, will stick a mk2 one soon as the outlet hole is the same diamter as m y current tubing but it seems like the problems resolved.

I've done about 2k miles in it since I've owned it and loving every minute

Fitting very soon.

256mm Discs G60 Front Calipers
    G40 Steering Damper
    G40 Tie Rods
    G40 TCAs
    PPS Subframe

Future Plans

TCA->ARB Polybushes
    Rear GT Axle (Paint up & Rebuild with 200mm Passat Drums)
    Refit Rear Axle with New Axle Bushes
    Fit Tartan Recaros
    GT Engine possibly or Twin Choke Weber

Your Input is appreiciated =D

As she stood as i bought her

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rocking Tear drops and mk1 polo chrome bumpers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On OZ routes but std bumpers back on

[​IMG]

As she stands, rub strips now off

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Probably shouldn't have bought these :lol: but whatdyaknow

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

those steels look awesome, nice dish.

4. Doc

Doc oops.

While we never had that model available in our area (Golf/Rabbit & Jettas are the norm), pretty nifty.

5. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

They look like widened Nova SR steelies :D.

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Nice wheels mate, but I have to say, that exhaust looks ridiculous. :p

7. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Awesome Rims... and that is a monster exhaust.

8. grungedead

grungedead Minimodder

lol, aye man the exhaust is a tad on the large size, sits closer to the valance on my mk1, im going to get a friend to modify the hangers at some point so they sit closer to the body of the car and bring it up.

xeno i knew you'd like them your a vauxhall lover aint ya?

to the canadian fella, aye theres some cracking canadian dubs, you guys were lucky you got the westmoreland front ended jettas and golfs and they are super rare and worth nufty money over here!

this is the rather fetching subframe that should probably transform the handling on the car, plus give me a feel for what a subframed polo feels likes for when i get the lupolo on a track

[​IMG]

9. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Thats a sexy peice of tubing!

Yeah I'm a vauxhall man, I am however between vauxhalls right now.

10. grungedead

grungedead Minimodder

ooh err matey, vauxhall sandwich, what would the missus say

11. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

She says she doesn't like nova's but would happily 'let me' get a manta/viva

12. grungedead

grungedead Minimodder

mmm vivas are sweet

Had a productive xmas/new years spell

- Tidied up Stereo Wiring and got the power ariel working on a switch
    - Tidied up harness pre tensionier wiring
    - Ordered HnR Cup Kit 70/60 and G-Ladersiete Outer TCA Polybushes
    - Got a new glovebox as my ones fubarred
    - Got 2 bare mk3 struts which im going to wire-brush, paint and get new vag bearings pressed in
    - Went on a 300 mile round trip for pick up a full custom exhaust that was fitted on a mk2 loon for 60 miles and fitted that with the help of friends, chopped down the tailpipe as it stuck out miles. not decided on where i want the final chop to be and if im going for an upswept. But its a straight-through mid section with single silencer and sounds amazing =]

[​IMG]

we picked up the banded steelies too, they are proper nice and were welded by a qualified engineer and welder, happy days.

they will be coming to a very special vw, not one of mine however but on loan to a very good friend

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

smart right angled valves

[​IMG]

13. grungedead

grungedead Minimodder

Well I've had a little coupe s as a daily runner for the last few months, its done me nearly 6k faultless miles and gone through many changes

from this

[​IMG]

to this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

with this rather nice list of goodies

HnR Cup Kit - 60/60
    PPS Subframe & Wishbone Conversion
    10mm Lowering Top Caps
    G40 Steering Damper
    G40 Tie Rods
    G40 TCAs
    G-Laderseite TCA Polybushes
    14 x 7 OZ Routes + 195/45/14 Pirelli's
    Homebrew Rear Light Tints similar to Late Mk3 Spec
    Removed Rub Strips
    Custom S/S Exhaust - Single silencer system with straight through centre section, built by Custom Exhausts in Cymbran.
    Cat 2 Alarm / Immobiliser

But then someone decided to put a mk1 golf gti small light up for swaps, so hes having the coupe s with std interior so i get to keep my bucket seats, harnesses and pretensioners and the subframe/wishbone conversion, straight swap but I'm putting 6 months tax on it

its a bit rotten in places but I've got all the neccessary repair panels and its taxed and tested for a year nearly so ill be able to drive it to me welder woop woop

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

itll be my first golf again since this happened :lol:

[​IMG]

14. grungedead

grungedead Minimodder

well this weekend was a bit of an epic one.

down to d-town after work friday for a chiller sesh with chazbots, karl and steve.

Saturday was fuelled by the best chilli bean, cheese and beans jacket potato, me and karl stripped the wee coupe of the subframe, stuck the old anti roll bar on and put the std interior back in, was a very chilled out affair and despite it being freezing after 5 minutes of working we were well toasty

so all was good and we set off home for a beast of a lasagne and some mother****in 51st state =D

soo sunday morning and the mission commenced

part1 was the trip down to wiltshire, 140 miles, epic amounts of snow, some huge hills, ice made driving on non main roads interesting to say the least and karl had to push us as we got beached at one point.

reverse rake merc, fuxxored
    [​IMG]

the petrol station car park, the dealer forecourt and car park was amusing
    [​IMG]

look at the snow on the roof :lol:
    [​IMG]

some nice scenery
    [​IMG]

we hit 120k =D
    [​IMG]

good bye old friend
    [​IMG]

old n new
    [​IMG]

hello new friend
    [​IMG]

the monkey finds a new home
    [​IMG]

wooop we made it to gios in cov
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and i made it home in one piece back to manc

---

things that need looking at

fuel guage not working
    headlight bubls need changing and uprated headlight loom
    exhaust manifold gaskets need replacing
    tracking needs doing
    rust treatment and welding
    fuel pump relay wiring needs a switch putting in adn the wiring looking at runs fine but needs the wire bridging
    earth wiring for fuel beams and sometimes the brake with causes the radio to flick on and off, steering column earth possibly

bar that the car is fantastic, rapid and its good to be back in a mk1 goof again

15. grungedead

grungedead Minimodder

bwahahaha ben you schlagamon =D

stripped the interior out to inspect the floor and its all pretty sweet, took the door card off on the passenger rear qtr and the rust damage is too bad on the inside, so i think I'm just going to get that portion cut out and plated for now, same goes for the rear panel, there was a previous section by the passenger light on the inner side that had been plated but again its gone rusty there, i may be able to clean it up, por15 it and top coat it, ill do the leading edge of the boot too as its got some surface rust.

the biggest job but still an easy one for a decent weler will be replacing the filler neck surround but its single skinned there so its all good a need a repair panel from the muppet can live on in this one =D while that sides getting welded ill have popped the rear window out to clean up and have the bit of surface rust painted or welded if its rotton further under the seal.

anyway hoovered out the car, carpets are mint everywhere bar the drivers side doh! ill eventually get round to replacing it, rock it for as long as poss then go for some netwon commercial plush carpets mmmmmmm

fitted the corbeaus in with the std claspless belts, not going to put the harnesses in this one i dont think as the claspless ones are well cool. need to grab the recaro bases and golf mk2 subframes i have and go see jase to see if he can weld them up.

oh and upon opening the inspection plate i found these two, grim and grimmer.
    [​IMG]

saturday

Woke up at 12 and met Jimsiss and his mate at the unit at 1.

sorted out james a megasquirt (an ecu not a shady spunkface in the corner) and then proceed to whip off the exhaust system and inlet manifold off the golf, ready for a 4 branch and magnex stainless steel system that would be arriving with the new mk1 golf.

That was a ****ing mission and a half and in the end i ended up making it meet mr angle grinder.

the mk1 golf was collected at 3 =O lazy *******s i thought they were gonna get it at 10 grrrrrrrrr so it came to me at 7.

got the 4 branch on (eventually, one bolt was being a reet can't), inlet manifold unfortunatly when i took it off the inlet manifold gasket was goosed and i had no spare, or any hermatite! ghey, bodged anyway. rest of the exhaust system fitted, the middle section was easy, and all the rubbers went on a treat after some kettle action, but the rear was a **** as its a golf and its over teh axle! gheyors.

after ****ing about for time i just did some rather precarious uber jacking and it was one, hurrah.

good to go then to the gangsters ball hurrah, pack everything up, lock everythign way, put **** in the car, get changed, get in the car, start her up. wont idle and tappety like a mother nice person when revving. grrrrrrrrr beruity inlet manifold gasket =[

my phone battery ran out at like 7 o clock so fitted the 4 branch, inlet manifold, exhaust, anti roll bar was all done in near enough darkness under the car so it took me aaaages grrr, probably why i missed the fact the gasket was so fooked.

so thought **** it if i cant get to d-towns then I'm not sleeping over night at the unit cos i cant phone anyone for help, so ill try and get back home, hoping i didnt break down on one of the country lanes! finally got in at ten to 1.

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaastards. one a plus note the exhaust looks the bollocks and sounds sweet.

hope gsfs open tomorrow or i have an inlet manifold gasket in the house.

gayors

sunday

went to the unit and got an inlet manifold off a spare dx engine in the unit, car will idle fine now, but still tapping on idle and acceleration. going to retard? the engine a bit to see if i can stop the pinking (if it is that) otherwise i may have to suspect that the tappets need replacing, or are being starved of oil?

so the impending plans are the following, probably this weekend

new oil pump
    new cambelt
    new cambelt tensioner

and still need a replacement windscreen (anyone?)

got pictures of the grot spots, sent them to a few friends to see if they can help out asap. if your a mobile welder and fancy a go gimme a shout =]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and piccies of the exhaust fitted. i could have shut the door haha

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the golf meets another kindred

[​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Feb 2009
  16. grungedead

grungedead Minimodder

saturday

Woke up at 12 and met Jimsiss and his mate at the unit at 1.

sorted out james a megasquirt (an ecu not a shady spunkface in the corner) and then proceed to whip off the exhaust system and inlet manifold off the golf, ready for a 4 branch and magnex stainless steel system that would be arriving with the new mk1 golf.

That was a ****ing mission and a half and in the end i ended up making it meet mr angle grinder.

the mk1 golf was collected at 3 =O lazy *******s i thought they were gonna get it at 10 grrrrrrrrr so it came to me at 7.

got the 4 branch on (eventually, one bolt was being a reet can't), inlet manifold unfortunatly when i took it off the inlet manifold gasket was goosed and i had no spare, or any hermatite! ghey, bodged anyway. rest of the exhaust system fitted, the middle section was easy, and all the rubbers went on a treat after some kettle action, but the rear was a **** as its a golf and its over teh axle! gheyors.

after ****ing about for time i just did some rather precarious uber jacking and it was one, hurrah.

good to go then to the gangsters ball hurrah, pack everything up, lock everythign way, put **** in the car, get changed, get in the car, start her up. wont idle and tappety like a mother nice person when revving. grrrrrrrrr beruity inlet manifold gasket =[

my phone battery ran out at like 7 o clock so fitted the 4 branch, inlet manifold, exhaust, anti roll bar was all done in near enough darkness under the car so it took me aaaages grrr, probably why i missed the fact the gasket was so fooked.

so thought **** it if i cant get to d-towns then I'm not sleeping over night at the unit cos i cant phone anyone for help, so ill try and get back home, hoping i didnt break down on one of the country lanes! finally got in at ten to 1.

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaastards. one a plus note the exhaust looks the bollocks and sounds sweet.

hope gsfs open tomorrow or i have an inlet manifold gasket in the house.

gayors

sunday

went to the unit and got an inlet manifold off a spare dx engine in the unit, car will idle fine now, but still tapping on idle and acceleration. going to retard? the engine a bit to see if i can stop the pinking (if it is that) otherwise i may have to suspect that the tappets need replacing, or are being starved of oil?

so the impending plans are the following, probably this weekend

new oil pump
    new cambelt
    new cambelt tensioner

and still need a replacement windscreen (anyone?)

got pictures of the grot spots, sent them to a few friends to see if they can help out asap. if your a mobile welder and fancy a go gimme a shout =]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and piccies of the exhaust fitted. i could have shut the door haha

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the golf meets another kindred

[​IMG]

17. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

That shell needs some major work. I cant believe he had rust covered with tape. Nasty stuff.

GL on getting it fixed. But it looks to me you could have done better that this swap.

18. grungedead

grungedead Minimodder

Im very happy with the swap, its a very rare wee car.

1979 saw the first rhd mk1 golf gtis, they came with 1.6 lumps and 4 speed boxes, 20mm lower than stadard, uprated dampers, tartan interior, twin pod dash clocks, wolfsburg steering wheel.

mine was a rare one, as it was one of the last series 1 gtis, the cross over was midway in 1980, so it retains the small lights, which is well fond off (especially after the muppet, which had them too) the small ights on the rear just all fit perfectly in proportion.

underneath of the floor is in really good condition, the main points of rot are the rear panel, and the passenger drivers 1/4, there was a repair on the rear panel back in 89 and sills in 95 so to have latest this long is still a good sign. i will have someone patch them up soon enough.

and for me to have a series 1 mk1 golf gti and the mk1 polo with the lupo gti lump, thats my mk1 addiction sorted, well for now hahah =]

19. golf2tdi-m

golf2tdi-m What's a Dremel?

hi, i'm a french man(my english is bad)i see your project in a french forum.

your job is great,i have the same project in ma polo mK1 1979(my birthday date lol)

I am going to follow with many of intéret your project, I shall present later my project (polol mk2g40, golfmk2 tdi-m bientot tdi ip with one vnt22, polo mk1 of 1979

Or do I owe me presented?

20. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

New one looks like it could be a lengthy prohect - good luck with it.

Also, what happened to the green one? Pretty nasty looking fire...

Tags: