1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Logic3 5" PS1 Screen - advice needed

Discussion in 'Modding' started by inder, 4 Nov 2002.

1. inder

inder Mr.Modtown

(yes ive tried search :p)

i have this screen, it also came with a car cigarette power adaptor

two q's

1) can i use the car adaptor to power it (says needs 7.5v) using a molex from psu connected to the pins on it (which pins?)?

2) on the back is a connector for the PS1, but its in the A/V format plug for the PS1 only - can i buy i ps1 scart adaptor so i can connect it to the socket and somehow connect it to the TV out on my GFX card (which supports both S-Video and Composite/RCA options)

card has this cable: [​IMG]

more info here: creative site

scart adaptor cable thing: [​IMG]

the screen i have: [​IMG]

the reason im thinking the scart thing will work, as its got the three connections on it, i think two are audio? one is like s-vid? which means i can hook up to screen easily (dont need the audio) to gfx card by plugging the adaptor cable for tv out into the scart cable plug??

thx for any help you can give :)

2. apoogod

apoogod trix arent just for kids

I got one like that but I use a 12v car adaptor

[​IMG]

3. SiMonTiST

SiMonTiST Minimodder

how can you use the 12V car adapter when it requires 7.5V :confused: is there a regulator/resistor in there or summat?

::EDIT:: oh, and the cables on your scart thingy ->

Red/White: audio
    Yellow: s-video

4. MrABC

MrABC What's a Dremel?

u can get the 7.5V u need from a 12V car battery via a potential divider. This is basically 2 resistors in series, and depending on the resistance of one of the resistors, it will share some of the voltage of the main 12V. Put a circuit in parallel to the resistor and u will get yer 7.5V (lol, i can work this out mathematically but atm, i cant be assed).
    and the scart thing? er...i think a saw a slot in electrics shop which have a scart slot with 3 outputs (like the one on the creative one). If u use one of them, and have one of those nifty 3 cables to S-Video cables, u can connect the scart slot into yer PS1 LCD, then connect the 3 cables into yer scart slot, then connect the s-video into yer graphics card.....if you know wot i mean.

5. inder

inder Mr.Modtown

thx guys, i think the connection for the image is now sorted.. ill get the cable and mess with it (can always return it hehe i work in the store so... ;))

as for power not too sure, as i said came with the adaptor, and i guess (well poped it open, it has the step down inside so i just need to connect it and see... ill research hard tho! dont want to blow up my nice shiny 5" screen lol

6. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

well if it has a car lighter adapter then it should work off of 12v, the thing is you must connect it after the transformer or whatevers inside as if you hack the whole thing off it wont work .
    as for the scrren all the others i have seen come with an RCA out, so it would have been easier to buy one with that and then youd have needed one cable.

7. inder

inder Mr.Modtown

yes, i will connect after the bits inside, so it does its magic to bring the 12v from a molex down to required voltage

yeh this one was like for PS1 (the small one) and does not have the RCA, looking at it, hooking the scart shown gives me to s-video by plugging into the grey block on the wire (shown in pic also) then hook that to the GFX card using the cable for tv out it came with

bit of a ghetto but, screen was brand new and FREEEEEEEEEE so tis all good :rock:

ill update tomorrow, going into work and can pic that cable up :)

8. TOPLOADER

TOPLOADER What's a Dremel?

apoogod why dont you show pepole how you have done this exactly
    everytime someone posts about this subject all you do is post a pic of your pc , which i might add is very smart but lets have a walkthough of how you did it and maybee the mods can make it a sticky, now that would rock
    :rock:

9. MrABC

MrABC What's a Dremel?

Easy enough...lol, in words =]
    Car adaptors have a transformer but u dont need it as u got a 12v rail already on yer pc :) So, get the transformer out, and solder it to the 12v wire to your 12v rail on the pc and if it does come with earth, solder that to the 0V or earth rail on your PC.
    Car adaptors might be easy enough to do than AC adaptors, im not really too sure as I havent really done this in practice, so its kinda like, all theory for me.
    i think the 12v wire is yellow on the car adaptor and the earth is black, or this may change to red and black or white and black.
    I dunno which one, i will just leave that to the electronics gurus

10. dagamore

dagamore What's a Dremel?

what

there is a simple way to get 7 volts in a computer, put the +5 volts (red) to the ground of what you are powering and then put ht e +12 volts (yellow) to the positive of the item, and poof you have 7 volts, ie 12 - 5 = 7. remeber it is voltage diferance that counts :) :clap:

11. inder

inder Mr.Modtown

thx MrABC, that's what i was planning... thankfully its labelled + and - on the transformer PCB... so all should be good ... we hope heh

TOPLOADER - i may write up a guide for my site should all go well... with pics :)

dagamore - that would work, the '7volt trick' but the screen specs say a power req. of 7.5v so im not sure (although small diff.) will be enough

time to get mr.solderingiron out... :worried: (worried for my life should something blow up heh)

12. inder

inder Mr.Modtown

well it works, but is liked washed out white, tried the brightness control on it, still no luck - any ideas?

you can make out things, does not seem to be in colour, when u click identfy the bigass '2' can be seen, dragging windows works, just washed out and not clear

seems to be flickering, like u can see all the little dots moving, also its hot, maybe too much juice? hence washout? or is the lcd messed up?

:rolleyes:

13. apoogod

apoogod trix arent just for kids

If u use the 12v for a 7v ur only going to use the power ur need no more. All I did was match the yellow from the molex to the red or black 12 on the adaptor and the ground from the molex to the ground on the adaptor(the metal peice) and BAM I got power. Sorry I dont have ne pics of how its done. I had to take the top off the case and it was a pain to put it all in there with out making a compete mess.

14. inder

inder Mr.Modtown

no ideas about my image problem? :blah:

15. iSteve

iSteve What's a Dremel?

possible coz of suckah tv out ..

OT : where do you got your avatar from, inder ?

16. inder

inder Mr.Modtown

could be right... hmm (im grabbing another lcd from work to see if i messed this one... then ill know for sure its the cable)

OT: its from some game, i forget which and where i got it lol :rolleyes:

17. iSteve

iSteve What's a Dremel?

GF's usually got megasuckah tvout, try it on some old gc or ati/matrox (especially matrox ...)

18. iSteve

iSteve What's a Dremel?

OT : Looks like Final Fantasy to me -_^

19. inder

inder Mr.Modtown

bumping this cause i just remembered about it lol

any ideas on the image issue, same with input from a PS2 using same scart lead as shown in post one

:brrr:

20. Adam

Adam Minimodder

Just to check - you are outputting in PAL aren't you?