1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning The Fresh Touch: triplescreen Tablet PC

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Xtrafresh, 4 Jan 2009.

1. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Well, new year, new outrageous plans. I'm gunna finish my Fresh Fusion mod soon, and i'll need something else to work on from then. So, i'm going to do something suitably insane as a follow-up for Fresh Fusion.

I'm really having trouble spending enough time on Fresh Fusion, because i am in a hotel 4 days a week, and have no access to the rig there. When i finally do get home, modding is only about 7 or 8 on my to-do list. (the first 4 all feature my girlfriend and will not be explained any further) :D
    I need a mod i can do in the hotel room, also because when i'm there i'm generally bored out of my skull. :lol:

I'm gunna mod my HP Pavilion TX2550 Tablet PC by adding two 7" touchscreens to either side in protrait mode. I'll use the Nanovision MIMO UM-740 USB-connectable screens.

The Laptop:
    [​IMG]

The screens:
    [​IMG]
    The red one is the screen i'll be using.

These three screens will be a perfect match. The main one has a resolution of 1280x800, and the MIMO's are 800x400. They are also within 0.5cm of the same height, so there isn't much difference in pixel pitch. They dont draw too much power either, they are specified as max 4,5W each. :thumb:

First, let's specify a list of demands:
    • The whole unit needs to fit inside it's current sleeve. This means no added width, and no more then 2cm of added thickness in folded position.
    • Extra screens should hinge a full 360 degrees for maximum compatibility with Tablet functionalities
    • Hinges can be secured in place so the screens are usable as touchscreen without folding away
    • Screens can be detached for use with other PCs.
    • Connecting these things works through USB. The laptop only has 3 USB-ports, and having only one remaining is unacceptable. I'll need to add extra usb ports one way or another.
    • Design uniformity is a definate demand. This mod will be all about the "wow-factor", and i can't have it looking like three devices ductaped together.
    • When fully deployed with screens at 20-25 degree angle, i want them to align as snug and edgeless as possible, to allow for cross-screen sweeps with the pen.

Obviously, i'll encounter some problems:
    • Soldering in an extra USB-hub (like Langer did with his EEE-PC) will be a must i think, but i'll need to make sure that the two screens get powered USB-connections, or they won't work. Possibly i'll have to reroute the two ports in the rear to use for the screens internally, and then connect the ports through the hub. This might get messy and complicated :S
    • Possibly even more complicated: routing the USB-connections to the screen through the swivelling foot. I'll need to open that puppy up, scary thought! Exciting too though :naughty:
    • Finding the right parts to use as hinges. They need to be some pretty specific ones...
    • I don't think it will be possible to keep the current panelling and still get a good uniform look. I'll need to manufacture housings for all three units, with the central unit including all current stuff: two speakers, two mics, webcam, latching mechanism, 8 quickbuttons and a fingerprint reader. Aluminium panels will look best by far, but i only have the tools and the budget to work with acrylic.

I'll get to work in SU now, so expect a few visuals later tonight. What do you all think of the idea? Impossible? Impractical? Unlikely to work? :confused:

Last edited: 6 Jan 2009
    mvagusta likes this.
  2. widmod

widmod Minimodder

sounds like it would work.I could do this with my fujitsu-siemens tablet-pc too
    but how much do you pay for this nice touchscreen and where did you get them?
    (I may use them somewhere else)

Last edited: 8 Mar 2012
    mvagusta likes this.
  3. Xtrafresh

The screens are 134 euros each, some guy is importing them to the Netherlands in bulk. Pretty expensive, i know, but they are just made out of pure awesome! :D

4. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Glad to hear you were able to get your hands on one (or 2) of these. I remember your post looking for a way to grab one. Cool Idea with the extra monitors, sounds tricky to pull off, but I look forward to seeing it.

5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Do the screen need just power or power and a input??

sound like a cool plan :thumb:

6. Xtrafresh

The screens get power through USB, but not all USB-hubs deliver a powered connection.

7. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Maybe you could find another spot to steal 4-5 watts(something you don't need/use), you would just have to cut/splice the USB cable

8. Xtrafresh

Good point. I'll need to get up to speed with some electronic skills though, as i don't have them yet :D

Also, i just thought of one more thing that the finished product "needs":
    In the fully deployd position, i'd want the screens to line up perfectly, so i can use the pen in one flowing motion through all three screens. This will test my manufacturing abilities, and probably wont come out at 100% perfect, but as a design goal i think it's an important addition.

I really am going through with this. I just ordered the two screens at 280 euros... ouch :eeek:

9. murtoz

murtoz Busy procrastinating

Very cool & ambitious idea... would really like to see this take shape!:dremel:

10. Xtrafresh

lappy internal study

Ok, so here we go. I made the plunge and paid for those screens, now i kinda have to go though with the mod too :duh:

I had some time left tonight, so i opened up my laptop to learn my way around the internal layout. Before i start showing you what i did i must apologise for the crappy pictures. They are taken with my mobile phone, and are utterly worthless, but it's all i have.

First, some pictures of the laptop in it's stock form:
    With sleeve:
    [​IMG]

Closed:
    [​IMG]

Back:
    [​IMG]

Tablet Mode:
    [​IMG]

Half-turned showoff mode:
    [​IMG]

Underside:
    [​IMG]

Now, lets give this thing some screwdriver love! Here;s a picture of all the stuff that could easily be taken off (left to right):
    • Wifi Card
    • RAM (2GB & 1 GB)
    • Remote control
    • Lightscribe DVD-burner
    • HDD: Seagate momentus 250GB 5400rpm
    • Battery
    • back covers for RAM, WiFi and HDD
    [​IMG]

Here's some shots of what was revealed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was able to unscrew one more tiny panel underneath the swivel foot. You can see the cables going righht in there. Or you could, if i had taken decent pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Turning the unit around, i was also able to unscrew the keyboard:
    [​IMG]

... and i revealed the goodnes underneath:
    [​IMG]

With the backplate for the CPU socket:
    [​IMG]

I'd have liked to take it a bit further, but i was defeated by these three puny screws. They are so small, i dont have a fitting screwdriver, and i'm not willing to trash the screws doing it with a knife or anything. :wallbash:
    [​IMG]

So, after that, i put the little flappy back together and lo and behold: i'm typing on it now, as if nothing ever happened! :clap:

Tomorrow i'll open up the screen's housing. cya!

11. Matticus

Matticus ...

This is definitely something I will be keeping my eye on.

My GF has that exact laptop, it is an awesome little beast.

What do you expect the screens to do to battery life?

12. Xtrafresh

i dont think battery life will really be destroed, they only draw 2-5w each. Ofcourse they wont help either, but on the big battery i already have almost 4 hours, i dont really need more :)

13. Xtrafresh

This one has been slightly dead in the water... untill now that is!

I have received my screens, and i can start moving forward on this one again. I'll have to devide my time between this and the shuttle powerhouse though, so i'm not giving any timeframes.

Here's a teaser pic taken at a LAN party i went to last weekend:
    [​IMG]

craigbru likes this.
  14. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

So, how do you like the Mimo screens themselves? Are they of decent picture quality? Any chance of seeing the internals? :D

15. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Yeah! Tear into that thing like X-Mas goose! :D

Awesome idea, Xtrafresh.

16. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Well guys, I just bit on one of these. It's all your fault Xtra. :D Actually, I needed a display for OSIDIAS, and this is probably the best solution. Everything in one tidy little package. :thumb:

Edit: Oh, and one more thing. I don't suppose you could give me the approximate dimensions on this thing? I'd like to get it sketched up if possible, and mine won't ship until March.

Last edited: 18 Feb 2009
  17. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Yeah, been tossing the idea around too, Craig. Thanks a lot, Xtrafresh! lol. ;)

18. Xtrafresh

ahh this is why i love this forum, you guys call cheesecake when you see it! Everyone else i showed it to either shook their head or asked me the dreaded question: "Why?". :duh:

I'll get you guys some measurements. Dont expect them to be mm-accurate, but at least it's something, right?

19. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

...Why?

:hehe:
    But I do love the idea and the screens!

But...wouldn't mounting the screens by rails to the back of the laptop, rather than hinges, work?

20. Frogmonster

Frogmonster What's a Dremel?

Dude. Great find on these screens. I had a similar idea but didn't know there was screens like this. I'm thinkin bout using your idea if you don't mind. I'll send thanx your way. I'm workin on a Acer aspire one here... http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=164495