1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

plasma globe mod

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by linear, 4 Nov 2002.

1. Phire

Phire Performance-PCs.com

w00t, good job bro!

as it has been said before, you are always setting the trend :D

2. UnLoadeD

UnLoadeD What's a Dremel?

psssssst!
    [whisper]you forgot to put link to this thread at the end of the article.[/whisper]

8P~

3. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

linear, you got [H]'d .... :)

4. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Wow, that's stunning as always Linear. :clap:

Now why don't we ever get cool stuff like that in post-Halloween sales in the UK?! /me goes off to sulk.

5. thb

thb What's a Dremel?

that's amazing :D

you are the daddy!

6. knoj

knoj What's a Dremel?

Wow, my 2 favorite things... Computer modding, and Nicola Tesla... I would have pissed my pants, but well... No pants. That is truly amazing, Now, what about those flat panel ones that you used to see in Si-Fi movies? One of them would look nice as a window... a nice 18" one... What would happen if your HD got zapped? My window'd HD would look nice from behind a lightning filled window. Truly an artist you are! :hip:

7. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

i know how you feel were a very under developed nation for cheap things to cut up

but at least we stil have the good old town center market :hehe:

/me saw plasma balls for a fiver last friday

but

/me skint:waah:

i must admit that is a very nice mod linear, now all you need to do is find a way to wore it up to something like a GPO on your lcd or something like that so it only switces on when somethying happens or wire it to the HD led somehow, that would be even more cool

8. knoj

knoj What's a Dremel?

/me rushes out to find them on sale @ Target for 75% off making it a nice easy $5... There are plenty left for all of you Ames, Iowa dwellers...

:clap:

9. djengiz

djengiz Pointless.

Dont you have problems with static? It looks cool, but i liked the tube blowhole better.

10. linear

linear Minimodder

no. If I did, I'd tell everyone.

The only weirdness is that if you touch the inverter wire and the grounded chassis of your case, you'll feel a pretty good zap even through the insulation of the wire. Not a lot different than a fluorescent or neon light in that respect.

11. pheonix

pheonix Toot Toot!

One problem there linear...static may not go directly onto the case, but make SURE not to touch anything statically sensitive afterwards without properly grounding yourself ;)

12. linear

linear Minimodder

well that's good advice regardless of whether you have a plasma ball in your case.

13. pheonix

pheonix Toot Toot!

Very true my friend, very true... :)

14. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

Me want...

Hopefully somewhere in the UK must stock those decorations... or maybe I'll just find me a larger one!

:idea: I have this picture forming in my mind of a case built around a plasma ball.

:idea: I've also got an image forming of my Cooler Master case with the ball mounted a-top set up for HDD activity...

Well done Linear. It looks awesome :clap: :clap: :clap:

15. Liquid K9

Liquid K9 Human programmer.. heh

I 'spect you to make another artical with a 'I am locutus of borg' plate there instead. If not, I'll be extremely angry and you'll get a good hiding from me' belt! :hehe:

FYI: I'm talking about those static dish like objects that first appeared in the Star-trek films/series featuring the Borg.

EDIT:
    [​IMG]
    see that disk type thing behind data-tron? thats what I'm talking about. imagine one of those instead of a case-window

Last edited: 6 Nov 2002
  16. Seth

Seth What's a Dremel?

you can get them off http://www.thinkgeek.com
    and it has already been done on the side of someones case, and it was posted in the modding thread. sorry I don't have the thread link. I am sure someone else will look for it for me.

17. Liquid K9

*puts belt back on*

oh great, now I havent an excuse to slap Linear about. thanks. thanks a bunch! :hehe:

btw, I cant find it on thinkgeek.com any peticular category?

18. spock

spock What's a Dremel?

Well, the exact route for the "Luminglass", as they call this littil gizmo, is "Cube Goodies"->"Lights & Clocks"->"Luminglass", or you could try out this URL: http://www.thinkgeek.com/cubegoodies/lights/362c/
    First one to put it in his case wins!
    Enjoy!

19. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

If you're paying, I'm in!

I've seen several of the cheap globes around, Target has them, as well as other discount stores. Or, you can go BIG!! I'm waiting to see someone with a 6" or greater sitting in the middle (or front?) of their case!!

Linear has always been one to set the trend!

edit: those "luminglass" things have also been on voyager, I think that they are "nodes," or somesuch devices...

Last edited: 7 Nov 2002
  20. Liquid K9

yeah, I know they have appeared on voyager, however they FIRST appeared in the star-trek film First-Contact, which was based on the Star-trek Next Generation cast n' crew; even the description on thinkgeeks.com mentions that! :D

I'm not quite ready (yet) to spend $80 just for fancy lighting effects. But regardless, who could resist having something like this on the side of their case:
    [​IMG]

Tags: Add Tags