1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Acer Aspire One. Help plan the mod.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Frogmonster, 18 Feb 2009.

1. Frogmonster

Frogmonster What's a Dremel?

Well, I'm officially done with my last laptop mod as seen here, http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=122423 , and i got myself a Acer Aspire One. I love this thing. It's the hd model running xp. Got it cheep so i'm looking to mod it. Huge props to tnkgrl for the ideas and info. Her mod is at http://tnkgrl.wordpress.com/2008/08/...one-bluetooth/
    So, heres my ideas...

Going to do...
    -built in blue tooth mod
    -built in F.M. transmitter
    -built in gps (gona have to experiment with this one)
    -Touch screen
    -Ram upgrade

Thinkin bout...
    -Keeping the original display in factory location and putting the touch screen on the back so when i close the lid, i can use it like a tablet. Both screens will work.
    - molding a new outside case using clear lexan or a mirrored finnish.

Ideas...
    I'd like some input. Anyone have any ideas that thay would think would be cool in a laptop? For such a small laptop, it has a surprising amount of free space inside. And if i'm gona mold a new case, i can make it fit stuff.

Some questions...
    - Has anyone seen a mod to make/use clear keys on the keyboard? Could be cool for back lighting.
    - Duel screens. The touch screen is made to clip onto the mother board using the factory molex. I'd like to run the new touch screen AND the original screen off the same pinouts. Obviously, I will have to switch some of the contacts from one screen to the other when i close the lid. If i just parallel all the leads, i might have a current draw problem. I've never done this before and haven't run across to anyone who has. Does anyone know which kind of pins i can just tap off and which ones i should switch. The voltage for the cathode tube should be switched but what about the data?

Any input or ideas on this project would be really appreciated. Wana make this the sickest little mod i can. :rock:

2. popotheflyingpanda

popotheflyingpanda What IS a Dremel?

I love these little net-books, i find them completely useless, but their still amazing what you can do with them.
    input:
    I agree with internal BlueTooth and GPS, but I don't think there's much of a use for a FM transmitter IMO
    The ram is a must and it would be cool to see if you could mold an new case thats clear or what ever.
    I'm a little confused about the whole dual screens, I think you need to clarify a little more.
    will you have one normal screen and one on the back of that with touch for use as a tablet?
    do you want to use both at the same time or just one at a time?
    If you only want to use one at a time, you could have it so when the lid is closed it will push a little switch to power the outer touch screen and shut the inside one off.

Good luck finding a clear keyboard, but IMO it wouldn't look to good
    Hope you do a great job!

3. Frogmonster

The F.M. transmitter would be when i want to use it in a vehicle and hear the voice nave over the radio. Or to transmit music to my home stereo. Its small so I'll stuff it in.

To clarify bout the screens, I was going to leave the factory one alone in the lid just the way it came. I'd like to mount the touch screen on the back side of the lid so when i close it up, I'd have the touch screen active so i could use the laptop like a tablet. I'd only need one screen active at a time. Open = factory screen. Closed = touch screen. Think it would be pretty cool. It would be fairly easy to control one or two of the leads off the lid switch. Say, V+ to the cathode tube, but I'm wondering if I'd need to switch all the leads. Its about 12 in all. Just guessing. Haven't had it apart yet and my touch screen is still on order.

4. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

the what? if your aspire one has a CRT in it, you might want to return it.

good luck with your project, but i'm very sceptical that you will pull off the screen thing. there's a lot of tech in there, you can't just go snipping wires.

5. Frogmonster

The cold cathode tube is the "bulb" that back lights LCD's. Its usually just a long tube that runs horizontally under the screen. It draws a fair amount of power so i'll have to switch it on or off depending on which screen i'm using.

I'm fairly confident i can pull this off. I'm just going to have to do a bit of research. I think it will be pretty cool when done. :)

6. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

netbooks are LED backlit

7. Frogmonster

Seriously? ****! Didn't know that! That may change things a little. My laptops all had tubes. Well, thats pretty cool. Must draw much less power than. Once i have it apart, i'll test it and see what it draws. Thanx.

8. Frogmonster

9. Frogmonster

Just did the ram upgrade. Not really a mod so i won't post pics of that. :)

10. popotheflyingpanda

NO DUAL SCREENS? :'(
    oh well it makes things alot easier
    good luck with the rest, you should paint or make the new case to make it stand out or something w/e

11. Frogmonster

The duel screen idea isn't dead yet. Xtrafresh has a simular idea over here... http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=162473
    Same type of idea but better laid out. Didn't wana copy anyone but it would solve some problems.

Update... Picked up a Comstar external usb 2.0 SATA 500gig HD today. After measuring, and a bit of cutting the case, it will fit. Sweet! Now, should i get greedy and mould a new lower case to try to fit another one? Be alot more work but a TB in a laptop this size would be sick. The case would need to be another 1/4 inch thicker.

12. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

hey Frogmonster, cool idea!

I think you'll love the little screen, though be aware that it's rather thick on itself. You'll definately need to crack it open, or it'll be just as big as the rest of the laptop combined :eeek:

13. Frogmonster

Well, I got my touch screen today. Its pretty sweet. And i'm gona try to fit that 500gig hd into the factory case for now. Should i post pics here or in the Project Logs?

14. popotheflyingpanda

make a log since you have materials now, and this was only planning

Can't wait to see how you fit a hdd in it

15. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Make sure to get the big-arse battery for it, if your going to be running all kinds of new hardware anyway. I love my 7800mah battery for mine, it literally runs so long I dont even worry about it.

:)

16. Frogmonster

Didn't know they made a better battery for it! Great, now i have to spend more money. :)
    Where did you pick yours up?

17. Frogmonster

Wow! Stuffed! I managed to fit a touch screen and controller, 500gig hd (thicker than factory) and a F.M. transmitter into the factory case. Sucked! The touch screen is pretty sweet. Added just a little thickness to the lid. Other than that, I still have to add the bluetooth and gps. And i'm still debating on molding a new bottom case. Then i could fit in 2 more 500gig hard drives. Not sure if i should do that though.

18. popotheflyingpanda

PICs? wow I'm surprised and I would love to see that,

if you managed to get 500 gb in there i would worry about another 2 hdd.
    thats crazy

19. Frogmonster

I'm thinkin about scrapping the idea of putting in 2 more hard drives. It would make it thicker and that would defeat the idea of such a small net book. Though 1.5 TB in a net book would be sick. As is, i'm not happy with the extra bulge the touch screen has caused. Lookin at modding the lid a bit. I'll post pics after i add the bluetooth and gps.