1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows PC keeps rebooting during Windows xp install.. help please!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by LightingBird, 22 Feb 2009.

1. LightingBird

LightingBird Minimodder

So I'm trying to reinstall windows xp on an employees laptop. It had a working version of windows xp on it before with sp3. It was having extensive problems so I used KillDisk and erased it. Now when I get into the installation with the windows xp disk it gets to the format phase and just cuts off. Not a reboot but it cuts off. I have nothing hooked up to it but the AC pack. Here is the thing, I put in a windows vista disk and it loads up fine! Ha, sadly we can't have vista on employees machines. It is a Acer 4400 Travelmate and we do not have the former boot disk and I can't seem to locate one online.

Any ideas?

2. murtoz

murtoz Busy procrastinating

Sorry to ask dumb questions, but it looks like this laptop has the option for a 5-in-1 card reader. I have seen before where one of these slots gets a drive letter of C: even though there is nothing in it. So if you have one of these card readers, are you sure you're installing to the hard drive? I know you've probably checked this, but just making sure :)

I also found the following download that sounds promising.

Good luck!

3. Dark_Master_Dragon

Dark_Master_Dragon Beware of my lair!!!

"Sigh" -_-

First of all this isnt a dumb question because hes asking for help in the section of Tech Support therefore its ok to ask for help anyway im totally off topic it might be the system of ur computer that when your installing the window XP it could be that its kinda not-functioning in other words it might be that ur computer wont load the Window XP program/Information that is needed you might wanna check the disk that loads the files of Window XP it happened to my dads computer once and eventually he had to get a new CD that has Window XP.Due to the fact that Window XP wouldnt Boot/Load . Peace Out dudes :wallbash::D.

4. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

From your description, I would lean towards a bad cd as well. I go through about 8 cd's/dvd's a week due to poor handling of our software discs. Sometimes a disc will look fine, and has been used succcessfully before, will still not work.