1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress custom case prototype for a blade to be a media PC

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ArcSpark, 1 Feb 2009.

1. ArcSpark

ArcSpark Did I let the magic smoke out?

I am working with an x38ml. It is a server platform, but it sports a PCIe x16 slot, and takes standard DDR2 and Core 2 CPUs. But if you poke around on the Intel page, you will see it's pretty hard to fnd a case for, so time for a scratch build.
    My apartment is rather small, too small for a proper workshop and anything power tools that are not hand held. So I was trying to learn how to work with fiberglass (disasters here).
    The power tool issue poses some isue using plastics like Plexiglas too. Plus I have not done anything major with the stuff before. So, for this prototype, I'm using the bit of wood working skill I have. I'm using something called 'hardboard' and some 1x2 lumber as my main materials. The hardboard is nice because it can be cut with a utility knife or a saw. The 1x2s are not to hard to work with hand tools either.

Since I am after a media PC, my goal is for it to be quiet. To that end, I am trying to see what I can do with a 140mm fan and an active heat sink for the CPU. For the finished product, I am after a less is more approach but have it fit in with all the black colored AV equipment I have. (My Wii sticks out like a sore thumb :) ).

For now, this is the prototype phase to see if I can meet my cooling goals.

First up, the concept. I am new to sketchup, and suck at it at the moment (like I could not figue out how to apply a tesxture to a surface, the the whole thing is white).
    [​IMG]

The outside will be a shell, and the componenbts will be in a 'sled' that pulls out the back.

My goal is for the CD-ROM to be hidden behind trim that moves to open the tray. I want to hide the power and reset buttons too. If I can get enough play in the faceplae, I was thinking of hiding power behind one of the strandoffs, and reset behind another so I would press on one corner for power, another for reset. For power and activity LEDs, I was thinking of LEDs that just cause a glow behind the faceplate. But I'm getting ahead of myself. I need to make sure the concept is sound first. Right now, I'm working on the sled.

I've started working with the lumber and hardboard. I was asking opinions here but things seem to be OK so far so I'm forging on.
    I'm feeling too lazy to repost the pics in this thread so here is the next step, the mainboard tray done with the board mounted to it as a trial fit.
    [​IMG]

Here is a close up of one of the mounts:
    [​IMG]

Here is the bottom of the tray:
    [​IMG]

Here is the ugly hole I made so I could get the nuts to fit witht he reinforcing lumber. I got impatent and couldn't wait untill morning to get the proper drill bit to finish those holes, so I improvised. I can cover them up later if this iteration goes beyond prototype, still...
    [​IMG]

I sed the wood glue because it should not stick to the metal in case I have to get the nuts out of there in the future. I was worried about it holding, but it sems to be doing OK even though not all of it is totally dried yet.

I'm working on the mounting system for the CD-ROM and HD. I'm using some angle brackets epoxied to recesses I cut out in the hardboard. I'm only just getting started on this, an I'm waiting for the first round of epoxy to cure. Once done, I'll take more pictures and update the thread.
    After that, I have to mount the MB tray above the base and make the plates for the front and rear. Then I can make a quick and dirty shell to see how well air flows through the system with just the PSU, HSF, and 140mm up front. I though have space to add another 80mm if I need it, but I'm hoping I won't.

Last edited: 23 Feb 2009
  2. ArcSpark

CD mount update:

The epoxy is cured enough to move things around, so have some more pictures.

Here is my dummy CD-drive wrapped up to keep things in place, and placed on the base to try and get the fit right:
    [​IMG]

I lifted the CD-ROM off the base to show the recesses underneath. The brakets I am using are made by bending the metal so the curve in them is enough to cause problems when trying get them flush with the CD-ROM. So I started digging deeper into the base to keep the sides flush. By the time I was done, I only had a paper thin bit of material left, so I figured oh well, just cut all the way through.
    [​IMG]

Here is a close up of the recess with the bracket and some epoxy visible. I used a precision knife set to carve the recesses. So things are not prefect, ant the braket if a little crooked. The holes in the bottom have enough slot to account for all this. Epoxy should take care of the resulting gaps.
    [​IMG]

This is a picture of the sides freed from the dummy drive and set in place to illustrate the fit.
    [​IMG]

Finally, the CD-ROM set in place to show how it goes together.
    [​IMG]

I don't think there is enough surface area on the 1/8th thick material to get a good glue bond. I was considering what I could do. I was considering a butress design, but it would have been a bit tough to make it look good on the right, and it could interfere with cabling. So I think the hidden brackets work out pretty well.

I need to add a piece to the top of the CD mount and repeat the recess process to make a mount for the HD.

3. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Keep those updates coming! :D
    I like the sketchup model and the idea of pulling the tray/sled out the back.

BTW, it is possible to work acrylic without power tools (for version 2). There's the score and snap method, as well as using a hacksaw or similar. Powertools just give us a buzz, and speed up the process! D:

4. BlackWhizz

BlackWhizz What's a Dremel?

Take a dremel. A dremel with some extra expansions. Small, but killer tools.

5. ArcSpark

I am considering using the work I'm doing here to generate dimensions for acrylic and getting it laser cut. I'm not terribly good at making strait cuts by hand.
    A table saw and drill press would be nice, but I don't have any place for them in my apartment.
    I'll have to settle for hand held power tools, but I'm accumulating them slowly. Eventually, I would like to save enough to get a small place where I can have a workshop, but that will wait until I find a place I intend to settle down in.

I didn't get anything done today as I was cleaning up after myself, and watching the Super Bowl. Tomorrow I should be able to get back on track if TV doesn't distract me too much. The problem is the JB weld takes so long to cure that it's just a lot of waiting.

6. ArcSpark

just a quickie, no pics at the moment. Work has had me a bit busier than normal the past couple days so I have gotten home later than normal. My right thumb has also been acting up a bit, I think I overdid it on some physical labor recently, so I have my right hand partially immobilized to see if that helps. Since I am right handed, this poses some challenges, and I'm typing with 1.5 hands ATM :)

Igot the top place for the CD/HD mount cut and I am trying to glue it all together. The hardboard is only 1/8in thick but the wood glue has proved to make some pretty strong bonds when clamped and allowed to set properly. Plan B in more epoxy :)

7. ArcSpark

It has not been my most productve week, mainly because the wood glue really was not the best thing to go with. It is holding and I think it will be OK, but it took forever to fully cure ad form a good bond.

Between some frustration, and the urge to get something done, I didn't take any new pictures up until the fill CD/HD assembly which is set out to cure right now.

Here is the ugly assembly :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The drives are wrapped in aluminum foil so I don't epoxy them to the assembly :)
    The piece of foil on the bottom is there to keep the epoxy in place on the bottom where the CD mount is being bonded to the base.
    I feared cling wrap could cause a static problem with the HD. The drive still works, even if it is a bit old, so I'd like to use it in something else.
    The duct tape has worked great when I can't really clamp things properly. The HD is elevated to try and simulate the final mounting position. Hopefully the gap is big enough to get some airflow.
    Roght now, I have some weight on the assembly as well. I need to check on it to make sure things don't deform, but I also need the whole thing to mount firmly to the base.

I don't plan on trying to unwrap or move anything until tomorrow afternoon at the earliest, the epoxy takes a while to fully set up. I'm not sure how much more I can get done this weekend, but this should be the most complex part of the sled (mostly because I wanted to hide the brackets).

Last edited: 9 Feb 2009
  8. ArcSpark

The raising up of the HD was a change from my original plan, and it afected things a bit. The brackets were not flush with the base, and I went a bit nuts with the epoxy later.
    Here are the pics!
    [​IMG]
    Sarting to look a little more like a computer chassis?

[​IMG]
    I ended up overreacting and globing the epoxy on. I tried to cut it back to clean it up. But it's a lot of effort by hand. I'm not going to worry about it unless I keep this sled. Then some dremmel and epoxy putty might make it looks better.

[​IMG]
    This is one of the brackets done fairly close to right in the CD bay.

[​IMG]
    The bottom where I applied the epoxy for the brackets to connect the whole assembly to the base.

[​IMG]
    Positioning the motherboard tray.
    That stilt on the end may be in the way of the mounting holes for the CD and/or hard drive. So I won't glue that until I'm sure. I meed to wait untill I have the outer shell firgured out as I have not figured out exactly how far out the CD drive needs to stick out, nor how the concealing trim will work.

9. ArcSpark

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The inner strcture is just about done. I need a mount on one side so I can add a ~2u, right andle PCIe x16 riser if I can ever find a cheap one, and a mount point for the 140mm fan up front.
    Then the back plate will finish the sled off. The shell will probally be something basic just to make sure it does not overheat. Then I need to see how using plexi, lexan, or other plastic will require me to change things.

And a question for the crowd. The fans use these headers:
    [​IMG]
    I have the pinout for them, but I am trying to find out what connector mates to these so I can build the adapters I need. Does anyone have any idea what I need to look for? (I am US based, so local would be nice, but not required.)

to clarify, the connectors are j5k1, j5k2 and j5k3. Each connector handles 2 fans.

Last edited: 13 Feb 2009
  10. ArcSpark

[​IMG].

Last edited: 23 Feb 2009
  11. Zeroignite

Zeroignite So I decided to simulate a Universe

Hmmm....
    This actually is quite similar to a design I'm working on. How do you plan to access the HDD/DVD drives? Will they even be accessible?