1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Street Fighter IV

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 21 Feb 2009.

1. jamesys9002

jamesys9002 What's a Dremel?

I agree. They should have just read some guides on how to play the game, they can't expect everyone to be n00bs and make the game too easy.

There's great guides on the internet like eventhubs.

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2008/jul/08/street-fighter-4-strategy-guide-hints-and-tips/

2. Major

Major Guest

Games getting made easier = Fail
    Games getting made harder = Fail

Can game developers ever win? ;)

Mate of mine from a SF past absolutely loves it, so it's a veteran thing.

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

We actually checked out a number of guides. The fact that you have to resort to a guide from the start though should be taken as a bad sign, IMHO. Even then, if you get past that then you're still faced with an admittedly solid fighter which has nothing to recommend it over other games in the genre except for the very nostalgia which has grossly inflated the scores from lots of other sites.

4. Darkhadou

Darkhadou What's a Dremel?

SF4's about as in-depth as anything on the market if not more with the addition of focus dash cancels you've got a whole window of opportunity available that differentiates it from the rest of the pack. I honestly can't see how anything in the game's got something to do with nostalgia bar the fact that the original 8 world warriors are back. The fighting mechanics are completly different for one. It's like saying Tekken and Virtua Fighter are the same! Course you can mash the buttons on Tekken but if you want to learn to play properly you're still going to need a guide regardless.

Of course it has something to recommend over others.

5. LA26

LA26 What's a Dremel?

Even saying you need guides is a bit of a stretch.

There is a training mode which you can practice the moves listed in the command list.

Also if you attempt the trial mode it thoroughly shows your characters strong points and weak points.

As someone who's developed a "wild style" throughout the years from awesome muscle memory I find it nice to be able to pull some moves off that i've learned through the training mode which on medium is easy to an extent.

You can make it to seth using throw and dash moves alone.And I've beat Seth using Vega's rolling attack as the only source of damage.To say medium is hard is a stretch.

6. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/25/sfii-hd-designer-calls-out-sfiv-for-user-unfriendliness/

Still think Joe gave Street Fighter IV an unfair review? It's not a lack of experience or an inability to "practice". Practicing is always the way to go to get better at any game, but it shouldn't be required to experience it fully from the start. Like Joe said; a guide shouldn't be required to play the game when you first start it up.

Perhaps Joe was one of the few reviewers that reviewed the game without the rose tinted glasses and all the hype of the Street Fighter franchise.

7. Darkhadou

If that's linking to one of Sirlin's crappy rants about how every game isn't SF2 and he's still bitter no one's playing HD Remix (his game) then no. He's got 0 credibility. Do a bit of Googling and you'll find Sirlin's notorious for bitching about anything that he hasn't taken part in. Hell the douche bag was even fired after HD Remixes releases.

And to be perfectly honest, practice mode and trial mode are all you need to learn the game. Seriously- what DOESN'T the game teach you?! You'll say "How to play" well of course it tells you how to play. Is there anyone who doesn't know back is block and the directions move your character?! And why should the game teach you strategies? That's up to the player to figure out, just as it's the case in an RTS or an FPS.

8. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Oh you mean the same Street Fighter 2 HD Remix that recieved generally good reviews like Street Fighter IV did?

9. Major

Major Guest

Possibly having a "New to SF" mode would of made things much much better. And for the veterans, they would simply have a "Straight to Hardcore" mode or something like that.

10. Darkhadou

Yes I mean the awesome game that was a a HD remake of the already 15 year old awesome game. THAT'S nostalgia. And the game's infinitely harder than SFIV so what's with the crying? Either way if newbies really care that much, head over to capcom-unity blog and tell them what you think. And hopefully they'll take your feedback onboard and add to the inevitable SFIV:ii

11. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

MOST other games, including fighting games tend to call that "Easy" mode. But alas...Street Fighter IV forgot easy was suppose to be easy.

Note: I am im no way, and I would like to assume Joe as well (and anyone else that might agree with his review) are saying SF4 is in someway a bad game. I think all us of agree it is a solid title, and fun game, however it does have it's fault. EVERY GAME has it's faults. Killzone 2 recieved a lower score from Edge, than it did from all other publications. Where is the furor over that? Not every reviewer will like a game the same. Happened to MGS4, Halo 3, Gears of War 2, any big name title that has been released. It's refreshing to see a different point of view. Joe's review is one of few that actually mention the unusual difficulty. All the others praise it without mention at all. But Joe's atleast mentions it while praising it. This goes to show you that not all gamers are the same as well. Some excel at other games than the rest and vice versca.

Tags: Add Tags