1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Office 14 delayed until 2010

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Feb 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. TGImages

TGImages Grandpa

Perhaps the economic situation has something to do with this decision too. If they released in 2009, most companies simply could not afford to buy an upgrade like this and their sales would look dismal. By waiting until things turn around (assumed) in 2010 they can show better sales numbers.

3. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

I like the idea of a cheap low power server operating system that gets rid of a lot of the big corporate stuff that home users don't need :)

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Wait a second... you say it might be pushed into 2010 to be launched together or a couple of weeks after 7? Does that mean 7 won't be launched before Christmas?

Oh, come on! :(

5. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I was hoping 7 would be launched shortly after the Beta finishes. I don't particularly want to move back to Vista in August once the Beta ends.

6. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

so is office2007 codenamed office12? i didnt kno that....

7. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

hmm, wasnt office 2007 released well ahead of vista?, i quite remember it running on alot of XP computers before vista, I was quite worried before if office 2007 would run in vista without any problems,lol

8. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

I certainly don't think MS are holding back Office 14 so they can release it at the same time as Win7. I know someone in the Win7 beta program and he says Win7 should be on the shelves before Christmas 09 and probably quite a bit before. If it's anything to do with Win7 it's more likely because they want to concentrate on getting Win7 out the door as quickly as possible so it can start earning them some money.

Every Vista user I know can't wait until Win7 comes out so they can upgrade. There are also lots of XP users like my self who are holding back upgrading until Win7 comes out. I doubt there are many people who can't wait until Office 14 comes out. So upgrades to Office 14 will be a slow trickle. Win7 will make MS far more money. And in this economic climate that's what MS will want to focus on.

9. SnowCat

SnowCat What's a Dremel?

I don't know about you guys but I really hate Office 2007. It is the most uncomfortable suite I've ever used. Luckily for me I've got a chance to try it on my friend's computer. My decision was 'monosemantic' - never ever install it on my computer and stay with 2003 :) It seems like a keeper

10. jsheff

jsheff What's a Dremel?

"I like the idea of a cheap low power server operating system that gets rid of a lot of the big corporate stuff that home users don't need :)"

Dude, Microsoft already offer this with Windows Home Server for around £60-80. It's a stripped down Windows Server 2003 that removes features that home users simply wouldn't need from the operating system.

Either that or use Linux, it's even better priced than WHS at a grand total of £0

Not sure if they mean WHS 2.0, or a "Windows Server 2008 Home Office Edition" by "Foundation Edition"

11. perplekks45

Well, there might be a Beta 2 or RC1 or something before Beta 1 ends but still I was hoping to switch to 7 retail before I leave to Austria [beginning of July]. :(

12. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Office 2000
    Office XP
    Office 2003 (SP3 is Build 11.8237 FYI, so I guess 2007 is v12)
    Office 2007
    Office 14

Nice consistent naming scheme right there. [Windows] 7 * 2 = 14 so I guess it makes a little sense.

13. cpu121

cpu121 What's a Dremel?

AIUI its just a codename and the final product will be released as Office 201X depending on when it comes out just as Office 11 and 12 became 2003 and 2007 respectively.

14. Burdman27911

Burdman27911 What's a Dremel?

That was my initial reaction as well, but now I actually like it more than 2003 after getting used to where everything is. I think the changes were for the better, but any change at all is usually not welcomed.

15. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

This was my initial reaction; although it was more along the lines of, "Well, that's aimed straight at the low-power Epia/Atom servers that run Linux and serve up shares, printers, etc."

However, I would imagine given that WHS has been about as successful as Vista; they'll try to incorporate it into the Windows Server line.. Which is good.. It'll make far more sense to do it that way for the 2008 version. :)

Still, I'll keep Ubuntu for my SME office needs, thanks.

16. The_EXorcist

The_EXorcist Possibly Australian

Well i think i'll stick with OpenOffice either way, as i dont have much need for office anyway, so no point changing

And a cheaper version of Server would be nice, im using Windows Server 2008 Enterprise atm, didnt want to use Vista, and this got around that, very very stable OS

17. nicae

nicae What's a Dremel?

I wonder if the "innovation milestone" expected for Office 14 is the subscription model. I hope it isn't, for Microsoft's sake...

Anyway, a great great great alternative is running OpenOffice in Ubuntu in Windows via VMWare. I'm currently running Ubuntu64 in my XP 32bit environment at home, and it's awesome at helping to prepare for a full-scale migration up-front. I know it's not much use to run 64-bit yet, but I was curious to check it out. Anyway, thanks to the awesome software that VMWare is, I can simply delete the Ubuntu64 virtual PC in seconds and rebuild a new machine with any 32-bit Linux distro should I wish to do so. The best part: For free! :D

OpenOffice is very nice and it's macro programming environment has some nice touches itself. Not to mention it can save files for MS Office!
    (I'm basically an Excel/Calc user)

18. perplekks45

I never really liked OO but I absolutely love MSO 2007. Once you get used to the ribbon UI it's just a joy to use... at least for me.

Tags: Add Tags